Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Signum - Newbie - Questions

Hi all,

Firstly, Im Simon, and have just joined up as Im about to buy a Signum. Ive been looking around and really like the look of these cars, as they offer everything my Mrs / children need. My budget is around £3.5 / £4k and Im hoping to get a 2003/2005 model.

Im aiming to buy a diesel, and wanted to know which is the best diesel engine to buy. At the moment Im liking the V6 diesel with an auto box, but also like the 1.9 one as well. I know that the V6 wont offer me the same mpg, but Im not 100% sure of the real world mpg of the different engines are.

Are the auto boxes any good ? Do these car's have cambelts, if so what mileage should they be changed ?

Ive read some storys about clutches going, dual mass flywheel things aswell. What are the common faults with the Signum, and the various engines, so that I can look for them when I eventually go and look for a car ?

Is the fridge in the back seats any good or something you realistically never use ?

Do they come without partial leather ? I havent seen one yet with full leather.

So, thought I log in and see what were the opinions of you guys. :-)

Many thanks, and well done for a great / interesting forum.
    SBK

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm 2 weeks into my signum and its a fantastic car, though mine is a 3.2 v6 so no real opinions on the individual diesel engine types although they do seem to be loved on here and with good reason - fantastic economy/performance.

Don't let the DMF thing worry you too much if you go for a diesel - they are fitted to almost every modern diesel car and they break down on almost every modern diesel car eventually. More often than not the DMF will go before the clutch - sometimes the clutch can suffer but because of the labour v parts cost many will change the clutch at the same time if the mileage of the car justifies it. I've just had it on my 307 diesel. The auto boxes had a coolant seal leak issue which was apparently rectified in 04+ models - this should have been fixed by a recall so either try and get a later model or look for the recall being done - for that budget you could well get one past the revision date but as with any car like this service history is a must for your own peace of mind.

Go for an Elite model for spec, they are plentiful and have full leather which is handy for the kids. Its a great value car when you look at how much car you get for the money.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design+

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 101000

Had my 1.9CDTI Elite Manual for nearly 2 years now. I've done about 20k in that time and it is now on 115k - the only major problem in this time was the alternator which cost £180 to be replaced.

1.9CDTI manual seems to average about 45mpg in mixed driving. 3.0CDTI auto is reported to average about 37, so quite a difference there.

The 1.9 has a cambelt. This should be replaced at least every 80k (my paranoia would prefer 60k) and costs about £400 at the stealers. Not sure about the 3.0.

The most common expensive problems that I am aware of on the 1.9 are DMF and Intake Manifold swirl valves. These parts rarely make it to 100k without being replaced. Best bet on your budget it to look for a high mileage one on which these have already been replaced - that way you shouldn't have any problems with these for a while.

I wouldn't worry about the DPF - these last a long time if the car is regularly taken on 10+ mile journeys and driven hard occasionally. They only become a problem when doing a lot of very short journeys.

The elite model has full leather upholstry. I wouldn't bother with any of the lower spec models except as a last resort.

Hope this helps!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What's been said on the two posts above really. Make sure you get one you can verify the history on the car, what's been changed etc..
    They are great cars deceiving flat load space, once the seats are down, great economy. I have had up to 56mpg in the summer months on a long journey, around 44mpg local driving. Winter mpg drops as it does with most cars, especially with the recent very cold spell. If you've got to seat three in the rear then don't bother, but then you will probably already know this when mentioning the fridge. I've had a child seat fitted in the centre position of the rear seats and they don't really fit. Tried loads it's not really suitable there, ok on either side though.
    Owned my car for around 6 months now and the only thing gone wrong is a puncture (not really a fault) and a boot light bulb blown. Get a good independant garage to do any work if you can, dealers are expensive if you need anything fixed by them.
    BTW mine's a 1.9 CDTi (150)

Mick
    Last edited by MickAP; 31st December 2010 at 16:27.

Thread Information