User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Buying Vectra Help Needed!

  1. #1
    Regular Member vectraboyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default Buying Vectra Help Needed!

    Hello!

    I am helping a mate to buy a Vectra atm.

    We looked at a 2003 (53) Vectra elegance today.
    It was a 2.2 Dti Elegance, on 96K up at £1900

    Now we took it out for a drive and it drive ok, it pulled well but what else do i need to look out for?

    The turbo had a whistle to it, quite loud but nothing major.

    The seals looked ok on it.

    The car was ex fleet but seems to have had some money spent on it in last few months, (£1000) worth of bills.

    The only issue i found is, we got back from a test drive, and the car had steam pouring out the front for a lil.

    The salesman said it was condensation on the rad from where it had been stood for a week and not moved.

    Now does this seem right? I seem hesitant to believe it to be honest.

    We had driven down the dual carriageway and the only fault i could find was wheel wobble (quite bad).

    I dont want to see hiom ripped pff (gf's sisters bf)

    We are looking at an SXi tommorow on 160k, 2.0Dti

    And othe rpoints to look out for?

  2. #2
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Golf 7

    Trim : GTD

    Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

    Year : 2014

    Mileage : 40000

    Default

    The steam from the front sounds ok imho. Mines does that, infact when I was topping up the washer fluid today there was a bit of steam coming off of the radiator right away.

    Gazza4

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Audley STAFFS
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vectraboyy View Post
    Hello!

    I am helping a mate to buy a Vectra atm.

    We looked at a 2003 (53) Vectra elegance today.
    It was a 2.2 Dti Elegance, on 96K up at £1900

    Now we took it out for a drive and it drive ok, it pulled well but what else do i need to look out for?

    The turbo had a whistle to it, quite loud but nothing major.

    The seals looked ok on it.

    The car was ex fleet but seems to have had some money spent on it in last few months, (£1000) worth of bills.

    The only issue i found is, we got back from a test drive, and the car had steam pouring out the front for a lil.

    The salesman said it was condensation on the rad from where it had been stood for a week and not moved.

    Now does this seem right? I seem hesitant to believe it to be honest.

    We had driven down the dual carriageway and the only fault i could find was wheel wobble (quite bad).

    I dont want to see hiom ripped pff (gf's sisters bf)

    We are looking at an SXi tommorow on 160k, 2.0Dti

    And othe rpoints to look out for?
    steam from the front,, mine stood fer 6 days,,NO steam, a loud whistle from the turbo,,,, bad wheel wobble,,,, and you have go to ask,,,,

  4. #4
    Regular Member BigLad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    30,000ft by day, bed at night
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    I was working on my car today and had steam coming off the RAD with the bonnet up. As long as its coming 'off' it and not 'out' of it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member vectraboyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CLOMP View Post
    steam from the front,, mine stood fer 6 days,,NO steam, a loud whistle from the turbo,,,, bad wheel wobble,,,, and you have go to ask,,,,
    Wheel wobble could just be tracking. It was only at 70ish.
    Turbo histle, well my 2.0 did it and was fine.
    And thats why im asking tbh. Steam could be good or bad. :s

  6. #6
    Regular Member Dazzy2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Notts
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vectraboyy View Post
    Wheel wobble could just be tracking. It was only at 70ish.
    Turbo histle, well my 2.0 did it and was fine.
    And thats why im asking tbh. Steam could be good or bad. :s
    Wheel wobble - wheels need balancing or buckled wheel, either way its minor

    Turbo whistle - normal i think, mine does it on gear changes

    Steam - mines done that a couple of times, if your worried about it then take it for another test drive and check coolant level when you get back

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    UK
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : z

    Trim : z

    Engine : z

    Year : z

    Default

    Wheel wobble will be balance of the front wheels.

    You say it had steam "pouring" out the front - Need to see exactly where it is coming from. Could be radiator. If it was damp or raining, it could be rainwater steaming from the heat of the engine.

    Get it MOT'd as part of the sale, and get a warrenty

    Seems a really good price IMO

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Audley STAFFS
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    there are loads of vectras for sale mate, its a buyers market, I can under stand steam not long after you have started it up but not after a 70mph drive, test drive some more cars and buy one you are happy with, with no noticable faults. or give this car another good test drive.

  9. #9
    Regular Member vectraboyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    yeah im going to have another look with him.
    That was my only concern to be honest. Everything else seems ok on it. And buyers market yeah, but most are well over 100k on the clock.
    will have to check the rad i guess.

  10. #10
    Regular Member sheepish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Are you dead set on a diesel?

    If you look on Autotrader there are plenty of petrol Vectra's around for £2-£3k with 35-50,000 miles on them. They would seem a more sensible bet surely? or am I missing something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help needed for buying 2 switches
    By Lao in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21st October 2012, 20:56
  2. 2.0 T buying advice needed
    By mccluskey119 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28th November 2010, 23:32
  3. HID buying advice needed
    By stuball in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 14th March 2010, 10:44
  4. Your Car buying Knowledge needed please..
    By sparky71a in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 21st September 2006, 14:58
  5. Digital camera buying advice needed
    By Andy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18th August 2005, 11:09

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •