Thread: 15 inch wheels 4 snow?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 15 inch wheels 4 snow?

Need some snow tyres for our Vectra 1.8ls, and was thinking of getting 4 15 inch steel wheels for winter use. These are listed on dealer parts, £45 opposed to £50 for 16 inch, but not listed for our car. Can anyone confirm that they will fit as they are listed in manual. Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Need some snow tyres for our Vectra 1.8ls, and was thinking of getting 4 15 inch steel wheels for winter use. These are listed on dealer parts, £45 opposed to £50 for 16 inch, but not listed for our car. Can anyone confirm that they will fit as they are listed in manual. Cheers
    well Paul, make sure they are the same stud as yours and they should fit ok,, I have 16" wheels on my vec but carry a 15" steel 5 stud spare, just has a bigger profile, its gotta be better than the space saver, if it were me getting I would get 16" steelies but go as narrow as you can, if the size is to far out it will **** your gearing and speedo up.

jusy had a look on the chart,, I have 215-55-16,, but a 195-60 15, is a close replacement only puts speedo out 2.6% about 1.5mph at 60mph
    Last edited by CLOMP; 21st December 2010 at 11:41. Reason: more info

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

15 inch wheels were Available for the 1.6 Vec C which was available in some European Countries but not the UK. 5 stud Zafira/Astra wheels should be the same so might be worth while trying to pick one up from a scrap yard to see if that clears the brake caliper if your set on 15's, but as clomp says 16's would be better, 195/65 R 15 would be cheaper I suppose and 205/55 R 16 are the smallest 16's listed. You should be able to pick up steel wheels from the scrappys for a tenner a time I would imagine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Bought a brand new wheel for the vectra Exclusiv for £45.00.

Seen on e bay a full set go for £80.00 but as they seem in more demand at the moment expect the price to go up.!!

Summer time next year i'll buy another set and save for the winter tyres now and buy in july aug when the prices are lower than nov.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Can I ask why? Our winters, even the current weather we have been having in my opinion don't warrant winter tyres.

I drive a rear wheel drive Mercedes CLK and have yet not struggled. I think this talk of having tyres for winter use is a little over the top.

But thats my opinion on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Can I ask why? Our winters, even the current weather we have been having in my opinion don't warrant winter tyres.

I drive a rear wheel drive Mercedes CLK and have yet not struggled. I think this talk of having tyres for winter use is a little over the top.

" From just 10mph the winter tyre stopped in 6.4 metres, while the summer tyre needed more than twice the distance to stop at over 14 metres. Imagine the difference from 30 mph"

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...nter-tyres.htm

i was a bit reluctant over a 2nd set of wheels for winter tyres but i'm liking the idea of all season tyres

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Red face You don't need winter tyres

I take it you don't live in a hilly area? I had to laugh a few weeks ago as my GF drove round a Mecedes E Class that was stuck on a snow covered main road on our way home. She has a clio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

Well so far I have not "struggled" either, well never got stuck and had to get the spade out, but after having been driven in a car with winter tyres on Snow its amazing to feel the difference, good traction and positive steering being the most noticeable advantages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by 1-8clusive View Post
    I take it you don't live in a hilly area? I had to laugh a few weeks ago as my GF drove round a Mecedes E Class that was stuck on a snow covered main road on our way home. She has a clio
    No, but I travel over 30,000 miles a year in all weathers. I was all over Norfolk yesterday in snow covered area's, wet area's and icy area's.

Yes of course we all have to take extra care in these conditions and drive according to the conditions we are in.

But I just think we can go over the top. My father in law has an E-Class and his has been fine, I agree a Front wheel drive car can be alot better in these conditions but I am not compaining.

My Freelander 2 is just boring in the snow, it just gets on with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : shatch- sports hatch

Trim : cheap plastics

Engine : metal

Year : 1901

Mileage : 999

Perhaps your car is fitted with extra grip winter/all season tyres
    As my ching chay chukaways don't give me any grip on the incline up to my house,and are not much better on the flat with the snow and ice on the ground

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information