User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cold weather causing spanner warning light to come on???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Cold weather causing spanner warning light to come on???

Since the weather has dropped below 0,on start up the spanner warning light is staying on but after driving for a few minutes(not fully warmed up)it goes off.This isnt happening everytime but if i turn the car off then start up again it doesnt come back on?..The car doesnt drive any different,no lack of power,the only thing ive noticed is fuel economy is down......Anybody know whats going on here or had the same fault?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have had nothing but trouble getting mine started/spanner light since the cold weather, albeit I think it highlighted something that I inherited/needing done anyway, the EGR valve etc... not sure if its "normal" but reading the forum, lots seem to be having similar trouble if not worse with the freezing temps/snow atm

This my first year with a diesel, secondhand at that but all the same, they dont seem to like the cold half as much as petrol does

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : VXR-D

Engine : 1,9 CDTi 150

Year : 2006

Quote Originally Posted by supersione View Post
    Since the weather has dropped below 0,on start up the spanner warning light is staying on but after driving for a few minutes(not fully warmed up)it goes off.This isnt happening everytime but if i turn the car off then start up again it doesnt come back on?..The car doesnt drive any different,no lack of power,the only thing ive noticed is fuel economy is down......Anybody know whats going on here or had the same fault?
    what engine ?

if a Diesel its probably the glow plugs , mine did exactly the same till i changed the glow plugs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I know its not my EGR valve because ive already had this problem b4 and sorted it out,hope someone else has any ideas regarding the 'spanner'.Since its been on will it have stoed the fault code so i can get it checked out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry its a 1.9cdti 150 on a 06 plate....How much did that cost then husky and is it a simple job to do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I got quoted £10 + vat per plug, their easy to replace, just fiddly to remove the plastic covers on them. All you need is an extended socket set and patience.

although on the egr valve front, I thought I had mine sorted when i cleaned it and took out the solinoid etc, seems im personally having the same trouble, not sure but I think i need to replace mine, dodgy starting again (cleaned 2 weeks ago n was perfect then)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

From what i read on here it seems like it is my glowplugs,my start up slow but nothing major and it is nothing like when my EGR vavle was dirty.When EGR was sticking the car was sluggish this isnt the fault i have now.Just debating on doing this myself,im thinking its just like changing spark plugs on a petrol engine?Which ive done in the past without any problems.BTW where are the glowplugs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago, I had done spark plugs and not glow plugs, its exactly the same.

If you take the cover off the engine, the first 4 plugs you see are the injectors, above that is a long bar, further up but parallel there are the 4 heaterplugs attached by a cable, they sit a bit deeper into the engine. just unplug the plastic covers, they are v fiddly, i used a screw driver to carefully prise the nibs apart, gently pull off the cable connected to the plugs then, unscrew... some recommend oil/warm engine prior as to not damage the plugs on removal.

It can all be done by hand, no fancy tools needed except a socket set

Thread Information