User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Potential water ingress area for saloon owners!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Insignia

Trim : SRi

Engine : CDTi 160

Year : 2009

Mileage : 53.000

Default Potential water ingress area for saloon owners!

Sorry no pics, but i had all the boot out of my Dad's saloon over the weekend as he had water coming in both sides again, even after the last time, which i sorted in this thread:

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64807

anyhow, after the pouring water over every area again, i traced it to where the wiring goes through the body by the n/s/r light, through the big rubber grommet and then through some tubing/casing and into the bootlid...

Firstly i just thought it was coing through the grommet, so siliconed that up, then water tested it again and still it came through....after alot of umming and ahhing, i realised the water was actually coming through the wires somehow, so i traced it back and although i knew the plastioc casing for the wires was split, i hadnt twigged this would cause any problems, but it was doing.

Water was getting into the splits in the plastic casing and running through with the wires and running straight into the boot....the plastic casing splits over time due to it being bent continually when the boot is opened and closed, which is a bad design IMO, or better material could have been used to shield the wiring so it didnt split, like rubber perhapse.

So i unclipped the box thing that the wiring tube/case/trunking runs through, the box is attatched to the boot mech', and leccy taped the whole wiring, plus added some duct tape for added strength....and water tested it again and no leak!

Oddly the leak on the other side of the boot was through the petrol filler, at the first seam where the back wing meets the actual neck part, that looked not to have been sealed properly from the factory No wonder the boot was soo wet!

I also had the back seat out as i had a look at the foam underneath it and that was sapping too....so its all been out in the sun today!!

So there you go saloon owners, a water leak you cant trace, look at the wiring!

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Bet you thought 'oh no here we go again' pleased to hear that, fingers crossed this will be it ........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
    Bet you thought 'oh no here we go again' pleased to hear that, fingers crossed this will be it ........
    Well yeah i did mate, I was actually getting ready to take the rear bumper off as i thought the 'repairs' i had made to the tow-bar holes where the water was getting through last time, wasnt doing its job.....Bl00dy thing! Least its all the boot interior trim is easy enough to remove

I only hope the silicone holds on the petrol filler neck where ive sealed, any petrol that spills into it might break it down and make it leak again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

good write up mate, thanks for the heads up on this!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by John3v36 View Post
    good write up mate, thanks for the heads up on this!!
    Thanks, and no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Took a couple of pics just to illustrate further:

Pic of the boot wiring, as you can see, black leccy tape and duck tape in abundance to cover the cracks and splits where the water was getting through...dare say some folk would say it looks scruffy, and yes i would have preferred to use heatshrink over it all as it would have been more tidy, but the way the wire is, it wasnt possible, but hopefully its now sorted:

and Pic of the filler neck where water was also found to be getting in, was actually where the visible seam is!, you can make out the silicone that ive applied.....maybe abit scruffy again maybe, but who the hell see's it??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mad on Vaux, thanks for your post, am new to this forum and was going demented trying to find the leak in my Vectra C Saloon,was about to take the bumper off just like you said you were considering doing yourself.I was dreading having to do this, but your post saved me pulling more of my hair out just in time! This afternoon I solved the problem (fingers crossed) the problem was identical to yours and probably would have never sussed it out, as I thought it was a problem behind the bumper as the water appeared to be penetrating in,down at the panel sealant, where the boot lock panel ??meets the floor on the passenger side in the boot.Thanks again and Thanks too to all the other knowledgeable and helpful people on this site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by garyauto22 View Post
    Mad on Vaux, thanks for your post, am new to this forum and was going demented trying to find the leak in my Vectra C Saloon,was about to take the bumper off just like you said you were considering doing yourself.I was dreading having to do this, but your post saved me pulling more of my hair out just in time! This afternoon I solved the problem (fingers crossed) the problem was identical to yours and probably would have never sussed it out, as I thought it was a problem behind the bumper as the water appeared to be penetrating in,down at the panel sealant, where the boot lock panel ??meets the floor on the passenger side in the boot.Thanks again and Thanks too to all the other knowledgeable and helpful people on this site.
    Glad I, and the site, could be if help mate...water leaks are one of biggest annoyances on cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ive just solved my water leak thanks to your post,I have been suffering for months trying to seal everywhere with no luck.Mine too was leaking around the petrol cap i pulled the rubber back an could not believe what i saw a hole and large amount of rust!Ive sealed it hopefully that will sort it but for anybody else out there its worth a look if you have water in your boot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by STERLINGPROPHET View Post
    Ive just solved my water leak thanks to your post,I have been suffering for months trying to seal everywhere with no luck.Mine too was leaking around the petrol cap i pulled the rubber back an could not believe what i saw a hole and large amount of rust!Ive sealed it hopefully that will sort it but for anybody else out there its worth a look if you have water in your boot.
    Yeah its terrible workmanship reallt to have water getting in there....the later cars clearly have a section of metal welded and sealed over the join that was causing the problems, so it obviously is a known fault.

Glad this helped to cure your water leak

Thread Information