Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra-C

Trim : SRi XP2 Nav

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 150

Year : 2008

Default Work Related Question

I work as a Trainee Prep Tecnician on Aircraft Wheels and Brakes, only been doing this job for 9 weeks. Training been very poor as they have been busy.....not convinced that's a justified reason. There is a reasonable amoint of lifting which isn't too heavy, just the odd piece.
    The other day I was sent to another site that is closing to load up stationary boxes. There were to be around 300, we did not know anything about weights and sizes. When we arrived, we found out they were all on the 1st floor. There were 3 of us and we were to work inline. I was to start by loading 3 at a time onto a sack barrow and push them 20 metres to a small lift and load them into it. I didn't think it was gonna be too difficult but after 20 minutes I put my back out placing one of the boxes onto the floor of the lift and fell to my knees in agony.
    I have had no training and the job had had no risk assessment although it had been planned to be done.
    Should I expect the company to pay me whilst off work? It happened last thursday and I got home an hour earlier than usual and had friday off. Been to doctors and been told to rest. Not feeling much better, but boss rang me friday and asked me if I was coming in monday. I do feel under pressure to return but my back is real sore and i'm struggling to walk, never mind lift. Company sick pay it paid at managers descretion?
    Any advice or thoughts on this appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Facelift

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9Cdti 150

Year : 2007

Was the accident put into the statutory Accident Book ???

The reason the boss rang you is that if you are off for more than 3 days after a works related accident then HSE must be informed.

Is the company you work for quite a large company??
    Normally in a large company they will have pre defined Method Statements and Risk Assessments.
    You should have undertaken a mechanical handling course before being instructed to carry out lifting work. Believe max you can lift to waist height is 25kgs, if it is above that then lifting equipment must be supplied.
    All means of alternative means must be considered first in the risk assessment before manual handling is specified.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ask them for H+S risk assessments on the proceedure you've done

if there is none then i'm certain they are in difficult waters

if you'r signed off by gp, a lot depends on your contract and what it specifies about sickness absence

you need to check facts before proceeding

also rather than go into conflict ask them is they can transfer you to lighter duties whilst you recover. This is called reasonable behaviour

good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by keefy*2010 View Post
    Was the accident put into the statutory Accident Book ???

The reason the boss rang you is that if you are off for more than 3 days after a works related accident then HSE must be informed.

Is the company you work for quite a large company??
    Normally in a large company they will have pre defined Method Statements and Risk Assessments.
    You should have undertaken a mechanical handling course before being instructed to carry out lifting work. Believe max you can lift to waist height is 25kgs, if it is above that then lifting equipment must be supplied.
    All means of alternative means must be considered first in the risk assessment before manual handling is specified.
    Yes, site accident report filled in.
    I was a little suspicious of him getting me back under the 3 days.
    Very large company, but my site only 10 in dept. My managers said H&S is something they are extremy hot on. Took me 6 weeks of chasing to get my prescription safety glasses and no safety boots for a week Never had manual handling mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Facelift

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9Cdti 150

Year : 2007

From the description of your job I would presume that you job will entail a lot of lifting??

I am from a different industry but all my guys were issued on their first day with a full kit of PPC including their own manual with all the companies procedures in as well as all Risk Assessments and all Method Statements as well as any COSHH assessments.

In the first week was you only on induction and training room, if so that could be why they never have you your safety boots.
    Re: prescription safety glasses if it as you say a very large company they will only order from a certain supplier hence delay but you should have been given safety goggles that would go over you own glasses.

As another member said make sure you have all your facts correct and do not alienate yourself from your manager or colleagues. Thats if you are enjoying the job and want to stay. They will bend over backwards if they think they have messed up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by keefy*2010 View Post
    From the description of your job I would presume that you job will entail a lot of lifting??

I am from a different industry but all my guys were issued on their first day with a full kit of PPC including their own manual with all the companies procedures in as well as all Risk Assessments and all Method Statements as well as any COSHH assessments.

In the first week was you only on induction and training room, if so that could be why they never have you your safety boots.
    Re: prescription safety glasses if it as you say a very large company they will only order from a certain supplier hence delay but you should have been given safety goggles that would go over you own glasses.

As another member said make sure you have all your facts correct and do not alienate yourself from your manager or colleagues. Thats if you are enjoying the job and want to stay. They will bend over backwards if they think they have messed up.
    I did have an induction for a couple of hours, looked over some Coshh sheets and risk assessments. Was never asked about prescription safety glasses and struggled as the ones supplied would not fit over mine, so had to chase up and took weeks. All my 3 sets of overalls never came back from laundry and had to wear poor fitting 2nd hand for a month. Not helped by the fact the purchase guy is a real slacker. I like the job and the guys are generally ok, things just don't seem to happen as they should and don't like rocking the boat so early in a new job.

Thread Information