Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Unhappy OMG !! What have I done?

I recently bought a Vectra C 2.2 Direct Design ('05) from a Basingstoke independant dealer. It has done 48K miles with a full service history. (The HP fuel pump and HP pressure regulator were replaced in 7/08 @ 30K 'ish miles.)

I bought it, based on my good experiences previously owning two Vectra B's previously, a 1.8 GLS from new and a high mileage V6 CD. Neither of which gave me much grief, barring the V6 needing a new EGR valve every 30K miles or so. Needless to say, judging by the number of negative posts on here re. the 2.2 Direct power plant, I'm suffering with EMS problems already.

10 days ago the magic spanner light came on several times, only to self cancel when stopped and re-started. No lack of power etc. Then, on entering the M4 down ramp the same thing happened again only this time accompanied by one solid 'miss' and the small engine light (far right dash panel light) illuminated along with a reluctance to rev over 3000 revs. Apart from the restriction the engine ran well with no misfire so I carried on to London carefully and called the AA when we reached our destination.

The AA guy did the usual diagnostics and pronounced the engine OK, albeit with a P0302 (misfire on no.2 cyl.)fault code which he had reset. Apparently there was a crank sensor fault also that didn't re-occur. The 'spanner' light came on on the return journey, about 3 miles from home with no power restriction this time. This again self cancelled on stop & re-starting. I'm wondering if I've been stitched up by the dealer, and that the fuel pump is failing again. The car doesn't miss a beat when driving 'normally', and the problem only seems to appear when 'booting' it a bit, which would logically place more demand on the fuel pump / regulator I guess. Interestingly the report generated when the original pump failed showed a P1191 fault code, and the symptoms, describing power loss and cutting out, were very pronounced.

I got a 5-star AA extended warranty for 6 months free with the car, but it really only works when a part has actually failed. Problem is I might have to wait for the fault to develop, as a misfire doesn't seem to reflect the true cause and the AA will certainly try to wriggle out of the cost, as will the dealer !! Due to the weather conditions in Sheffield I can't even get an answer to many calls to the AA warranty call centre.

Any thoughts / advice would be much appreciated. I'm cacking myself right now..........

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

it could well be the pump/regulator agian as they may have replaced the pump/regulator but i dont know wen the updated pump came in to play i have heard peeps having replaced 2 or so pumps and um teen regulators so your car may have the old problem agian

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

there is a pressure sensor that vaux change that sorts this as well so might not be pump again has the fuel filter been done lately?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Elite Auto

Engine : 2.2 Direct Petrol

Year : 2006

Default 2.2 Direct

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow1 View Post
    I... (The HP fuel pump and HP pressure regulator were replaced in 7/08 @ 30K 'ish miles.)

... Needless to say, judging by the number of negative posts on here re. the 2.2 Direct power plant, I'm suffering with EMS problems already.

Any thoughts / advice would be much appreciated. I'm cacking myself right now..........

I wouldnt worry too much. There's actually not much negativity about the 2.2 Direct engine... just the Fuel Pressure issues, nothing much else.

Your Pressure Regulator was replaced in 2008. Since then, Vx have issued a newer part (made by Continental and not Siemans). This was issued in 2009 as a free part/recall. Yours will still be a Siemans part if it was done in 2008.

Call your local dealer and say you want the Pressure Regulator Recall done. They'll do it free. And hopefully that should resolve your problems.

Good luck.

ps - I have the same engine... it's great.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks guys.

I'll certainly talk to my local Vx dealer tomorrow and check out the recall situation. The last service was done about 2K miles ago by an independant garage for the previous owner, so the recall probably wasn't done.

I'll post the results.

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I can recomend these guys should you require an honest afaik advice/assessment http://www.spratleys.co.uk/spratleys_of_mortimer hth .....................

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : SRi

Engine : Z22SE (2.2 Petrol)

Year : 2004

Mileage : 137000

Check if the pumps Continental and not Siemans, the new pump is Continental and is not covered by any recall or warranty.

Thread Information