Thread: Winter tyre warning

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Winter tyre warning

Just been reading in Auto-express that the fitting of winter tyres has to be declared on the insurance as a modification and that many insurers are extracting the yellow liquid for the desire to be less likely to become involved in an accident, one chap charged £230 another as "low" as £22 plus the buying of the tyres!!!!

Beware this is profiteering at it's most despicable

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Mc View Post
    Just been reading in Auto-express that the fitting of winter tyres has to be declared on the insurance as a modification
    Yes, but this only applies to winter tyres with studs, so add the usual £15 admin fee to do so, and then a further £15 admin fee when you remove them
    Cheaper to buy some snow chains; use them when required and then remove them when not required
    As their use is in the handbook, it does not require to be declared

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Extract of the article :-

Motorists looking for extra grip in the cold snap are being frustrated not only by a major shortage in winter tyres – but also by insurers increasing 
premiums for fitting them!

After last season’s heavy snowfalls, demand for winter rubber has boomed, catching makers on the hop. Reader Nigel Loriman, from Gloucester, was unable to source patterns from Goodyear, Dunlop or Continental – the top three firms in our Cold Weather Tyre Test. “I’ve tried half-a-dozen retailers, plus more online,” he explained.

Meanwhile, Dan Davis, boss of wholesaler Malvern Tyres, said: “None of the major makers has anything available, and nothing more coming in until January.” Continental has delivered nearly 400 per cent more winter tyres to the UK in October than in 
the same period in 2009. And 
a spokesman for Goodyear said: “We have experienced shortages in some sizes due 
to extreme demand, but are increasing our production.”

Meanwhile, some insurers are failing to spot the benefit and are raising premiums. Auto Express subscriber David Gana, from Oldham, Lancs, said Frizzell told him the “modification” of winter tyres for his Renault Laguna would hike his premium by £230. And www.singletrackworld.com forum contributor Swalsey was surprised when he rang Admiral to see if his winter tyres would attract a discount. “It quoted an INCREASE of £22!” he fumed.

Neil Greig, director of policy and research at the Institute of Advanced Motorists, said: “I’m surprised. Winter tyres’ safety benefits are clear – I think they’d outweigh any additional costs.”

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...#ixzz16kiERTpE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Am I alone in thinking I don't consider winter tyres a modification and I would never have thought to contact my insurance company if I fitted them. Surely if they are the same size and rating that were originally fitted to your car and they comply with British Standards etc. then its not a modification.

The fitting of winter tyres should be actively encouraged. After a bit of research I'm considering them myself, the fact that they are designed to work below 7 degrees make for safer cold wet weather driving even without snow or ice. I plan to keep my car for 4 years and will probably get through 2 sets of tyres anyway so I may as well buy the winter tyres now, switch them for summer/winter and I'll always have the right tyre on with little extra outlay throughout the ownership of the car.

Insurance companies should take heed, see the benefits, and make a statement that the fitting of winter tyres will not affect premiums (unless they want to offer a discount of course) and stop putting people off fitting this safety feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I agree with you 100% this seems so stupid!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Complete madness. A money-making idea...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A mod my ar.e
    I have not and will not declare, I would be very happy to go to court against an insurance company that did not pay out because I was using safer tyres.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What the.........! I have never even considered notifying my insurance company and have used winter grips for years. Everyone with even the slightest bit of common sense knows that fitting winter grips is a safety thing and not intended to modify or enhance the performance/styling of your car! Insurance companies should hang their heads in shame!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Quote Originally Posted by Steve01 View Post
    What the.........! I have never even considered notifying my insurance company and have used winter grips for years. Everyone with even the slightest bit of common sense knows that fitting winter grips is a safety thing and not intended to modify or enhance the performance/styling of your car! Insurance companies should hang their heads in shame!!!
    The same applies for bigger brake upgrades too. I don't get that one - bigger brakes = more brake power = shorter stopping distances = less chance of the car wrapping itself round a lampost.

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.8 VVT ( No2 ! )

Year : 2007

Mileage : ... 293 k

They'll argue that any modification to make stopping easier just means you must be driving faster in the first place.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information