Thread: Anyone know...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Update on my original post.
    I sourced a new oil pan from Vauxcentre, Essex (Great Customer Service and advice) £100 plus £6.50 postage, as opposed to £160 + vat from the dealer. A local garage 'Vauxsell' who I've used before, will fit it which involves removal of exhaust and either removal or simply loosening of a drive shaft, oil and filter. All in all, and inclusive of parts £371; not great but not as bad as I feared.
    Thanks to all for the advice, and hopefully this thread will come in useful for someone else

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just thought I'd add that you are not recomended to use the space saver on the front anyway. One the handling is very unpredictable and secondly you will wind-up your differencial.

I think you are meant to jack the back up, remove the good wheel and replace with the space saver. Then jack up the front and put the rear one on the front!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mucklestone View Post
    I think you are meant to jack the back up, remove the good wheel and replace with the space saver. Then jack up the front and put the rear one on the front!
    I would adopt this practice too should I need to use the space saver spare. I'd much prefer a full sized wheel on the steering end of the car.

However the handbook doesn't mention this other than when using tyre chains to fit the space saver on the rear and move one of the rear tyres to the front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I would adopt this practice too should I need to use the space saver spare. I'd much prefer a full sized wheel on the steering end of the car.

However the handbook doesn't mention this other than when using tyre chains to fit the space saver on the rear and move one of the rear tyres to the front.
    Or you could just buy a steel wheel from the scrappy and use that instead of the daft space saver as it fits in the wheel well if you take out the bit of plastic used to raise up the space saver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Steve01 View Post
    Or you could just buy a steel wheel from the scrappy and use that instead of the daft space saver as it fits in the wheel well if you take out the bit of plastic used to raise up the space saver.
    I keep meaning to as I have an old 17" tyre kicking around in the garage for it to fit onto.

No good for people with Estate Vectra's though as a full sized tyre & wheel won't fit in the well, IIRC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information