Thread: what are "tie arms"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default what are "tie arms"

left my 05 sri vecy in at my local vx dealer for its 80000 mile service,only bought it 2 wks ago so thought i'd get it serviced just to sure,£180 was the best price.............not tooo bad i thought till they called me......................broken spring,rear d/s,rear "banana" arms & movement in both front "tie arms",have aquired a couple of rear springs & 2 banana arms,just dont know what the tie arms are? part No. 95507450.................................ps they never mentioned that the swirl flap linkage wasnt connected!!!!!!!

cheers guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Tie arms/ rods are the rods that they adjust when they do your tracking buddy! They screw into the the steering rack at one end and at the other end theres a ball joint that screws on and that goes onto your suspension leg.
    If you turn your drivers side steering to the left you will see the rod for the drivers side coming from the steering leg and goin into the car..
    They control the steering of the car..
    Mine went just recently and there a really quite easy to replace tbh.
    Only about 40-50 to buy both sides and if you have reasonable knowledge you can replace them yourself.
    Will need to get tracking re done after but if you count the amount of threads on the ball joint end you can roughly get it ok till you get to the workshop..
    When they wear they cause wheel shake and can wear out the tyres really quickly as i found out..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My tie rods were gone too and I was getting like a faint clunking noise like something was loose when going over rough roads. Sorted now though and problem gone just wish I could find time to sort all the other issues with it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by richiem View Post
    Tie arms/ rods are the rods that they adjust when they do your tracking buddy! They screw into the the steering rack at one end and at the other end theres a ball joint that screws on and that goes onto your suspension leg.
    If you turn your drivers side steering to the left you will see the rod for the drivers side coming from the steering leg and goin into the car..
    They control the steering of the car..
    Mine went just recently and there a really quite easy to replace tbh.
    Only about 40-50 to buy both sides and if you have reasonable knowledge you can replace them yourself.
    Will need to get tracking re done after but if you count the amount of threads on the ball joint end you can roughly get it ok till you get to the workshop..
    When they wear they cause wheel shake and can wear out the tyres really quickly as i found out..

cheers richiem for the reply thats 5 jobs now for me vecy banana arms,springs,tie "rods" roof aerial,roof gutering clips.......................as you can guess........yep water in me boot,changed the d/s boot compartment as i had the door but no inner compartment,saw stain marks folowed em to the wet boot well..................forgot to mention £152 for a fuel filter housing!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Steve01 View Post
    My tie rods were gone too and I was getting like a faint clunking noise like something was loose when going over rough roads. Sorted now though and problem gone just wish I could find time to sort all the other issues with it!

you & me both steve01,5 jobs & counting,all i can say is at least it aint raining!!!!! maybe the water in my boot wheel well is frozen i can just lift it out in 1 piece must check -8 here last night!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Good luck getting it all sorted mate. I will hopefully get time to do some bits on mine when I am home in a couple of weeks. Out in the North Sea at the moment on an oil rig and its soddin freezin! Left home on Saturday with about 6" of snow. Think theres been quite a bit more since too. At least the kids are having fun!

Thread Information