Thread: Hid a serious issue ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Exclamation Hid a serious issue ?

I put on a carefully chosen HID KIT on my vectra 54 plate, after a drive the spanner light came on and today as I was driving the car's powersteering symbol came up and the rest of the lights.

The car now doesnt turn over but the starter motor is fine, the battery is showing black.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IS THIS DUE TO THE HID'S AND DO YOU THINK THE ALTERNATOR HAS GONE OR THE BATTERY?

WHAT DID I DO WRONG

REPLIES ARE WELCOME.

CHEERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cant say it would be your hids id say alternator m8

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

You'll need to re charge your battery then with the engine running put a multi meter across the battery terminals. You should see somewhere around 13.5-14.4v if you only see 12v or less looks like a faulty alternator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by DasArab View Post
    You'll need to re charge your battery then with the engine running put a multi meter across the battery terminals. You should see somewhere around 13.5-14.4v if you only see 12v or less looks like a faulty alternator.
    If your vectra has its original battery,there should be a little window on the battery itself,(Just open the cover and its in the middle of the battery),if its green your battery should be ok.As per your HID's,they operate at a lower power draw on your system so theoretically,they should be less of a drain on your system.Did you take the airbox off to fit the drivers side,and if so did you start the car up to test the light BEFORE you put the box back on?.If so,this would have thrown a spanner light up as your MAF would have detected an error in the air flow.
    Going back to your battery,if its ok,then it probably is your alternator.Best of luck anyway.Let us all know when you sort it.FELIXX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

dont think hid will affect battry that quick unless u left them on over night.. coz im told they use less batt power than standard (correct me if im wrong) but if batt has drained whilst driving etc its allternator..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Exclamation Reply

I changed the HID'S about the 3 days ago, I didnt take the airflow box off. I believe I may have had the ignition on at one time while doing one of the lights could this have short circuited the alternator?

Does the alternator have have a fuse before it burns the alternator? I havent left the lights on etc to kill anything. The spanner light came on 3 days ago and the today the powersteering and all the lights came on.

The car starts if jump started but when u take jumps off all the lights come back on dash.

What I wana know is how the alternator could have gone, due to ignition being turned 2 point rather then point 3 where the car is started and running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Does it run when jump started?, if so have you put a meter across the battery?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Exclamation Reply

it does run when jump started only when you take off the jumps all the lights come on, i cant do anything in regards to the battery untill tomorrow morning will have to get it checked then, i believe i left the ignition on stage 2 at one point which may have burnt the alternator over a short duration.

thanks for everyones replies and contributions so far !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Elahi_786 View Post
    I changed the HID'S about the 3 days ago, I didnt take the airflow box off. I believe I may have had the ignition on at one time while doing one of the lights could this have short circuited the alternator?

Does the alternator have have a fuse before it burns the alternator? I havent left the lights on etc to kill anything. The spanner light came on 3 days ago and the today the powersteering and all the lights came on.

The car starts if jump started but when u take jumps off all the lights come back on dash.

What I wana know is how the alternator could have gone, due to ignition being turned 2 point rather then point 3 where the car is started and running.

It's highly unlikely that you have shorted anything as HID's are plug 'n' play, but you should check all relevant fuses anyway. However,when you have it hooked up to the other car,and before you start it up,is everything normal?,i.e,dash lights,side lights on when turned on, radio,etc,etc?.The reason I am asking is to get some idea of elimination.If everything is normal when there is power to the car from another source,you have to ask why should it suddenly start to "perform" when running on its own electrical output and power/system?.Have you tried using an alternative battery or tried your battery in another car?.I suggest you try this approach if you don't have access to a volt meter.FELIXX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Exclamation

When connected to another car's battery, the car is fine turns over perfectly without having to leave on the jumps on for long. There are no warning lights everything is fine even the spanner symbol does not come on when the car is being powered by another cars battery, however when you take the jumps off, a simple turning of the steering wheel which uses power steering powered by the electronics of the car ie battery everything goes funny and the warning lights come on e.g spanner, battery light etc. Ive been suggested its the alternator its gone due to the ignition being on( which i forget as i was put on the hid', which couldnt have burnt the alternator, whats your thoughts???

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information