User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any Insurance companies that cater for previous bikers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Any Insurance companies that cater for previous bikers?

I had been on a motorbike for a good 8 years before I wrote it off and decided to switch to my Vectra.

However as I had never bothered to do my car test until I decided to hang up the bike I've been having some insane problems getting insurance quotes for the car!

As far as most insurance companies are concerned, even though I've been on the road for 8 years, riding a motorbike which requires a lot more road awareness than a car does AND have 7 years no-claims bonus for my bike with my previous insurer - none of that means squat!

They force me to count my "how long have you had your license" from the date that I passed my car driving test, not my bike test. and they are forcing me to go with 0 years no claims discount because they won't except no claims from a motorbike. :|

So I'm a 26 year old (27 on boxing day), being treated like an 18 year old who has just bought a 1.8 litre car for his first ride... WTF.

Does anybody know any insurance companies that are a little more considerate to bikers moving onto cars?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Saab

Trim : 9-3 Vert

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2000

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

How unfortunate

Thanks for the link, I phoned up Churchill, Direct Line and Lloyds TSB.

They all used to to accept motorbike no claims discounts but they stopped that policy at the beginning of the year ((

I'm going to keep trying and phone different companies, see if i can find one.

I also tried Carol Nash but they require you to already have a motorbike on their policy before they will mirror your bike's no claims onto a car.

Pah! - in case you're interested, my renewal this year has gone up... to £1700 fully comp :| and I'm 26 with 8 years experience on the road! lovely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

a friend of mine had the same going from a car to bike he had to start afresh with no no claims

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A car is bigger to park etc... You are more likely to scrap it than a bike....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mucklestone View Post
    A car is bigger to park etc... You are more likely to scrap it than a bike....
    Scrap it or scrape it?

Because you're far more likely to scrap a bike than a car... a simple fall over crash I had caused enough financial damage for my insurance company to call my bike a write off. I probably could have gotten it fixed myself for about £500, but when I found out I could get more for my bike than what I had originally paid for it I let them scrap it! lol.

Plus I broke my collar bone so I didn't have much choice, couldn't ride a bike for at least 6 months to a year so I got my Veccy instead, which I'm very happy with ;D

But yeah, more likely to scrape a car, sure.. more likely to scrap a car? oh nonono.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I may have just run into some good luck!

I went back to the insurance company that I used to insure my bike with, ebikeinsurance.co.uk

and found out that they insure cars too! and the good part is that they'll let me change my 7 years protected NCD from my previous bike over to a new car insurance quote with them

So I've managed to down my insurance premium from £1700, to £1200.

yes it's still pretty damn high and I'm not entirely sure why... but If I can transfer the bike NCD to a car, then in theory, next year I will have 7 years NCD on a car policy that i'll be able to use on any other insurance provider and be able to shop around a bit! ;D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

Quote Originally Posted by Drazek View Post
    I may have just run into some good luck!

I went back to the insurance company that I used to insure my bike with, ebikeinsurance.co.uk

and found out that they insure cars too! and the good part is that they'll let me change my 7 years protected NCD from my previous bike over to a new car insurance quote with them

So I've managed to down my insurance premium from £1700, to £1200.

yes it's still pretty damn high and I'm not entirely sure why... but If I can transfer the bike NCD to a car, then in theory, next year I will have 7 years NCD on a car policy that i'll be able to use on any other insurance provider and be able to shop around a bit! ;D

If they're taking your NCD into account, they'd also have to consider you accident, may be why it stayed high. My dad had probs, years ago. Had a company car for decades, then tried insuring one he owned, and got told his NCD had expired and he was starting from scratch, You can imagine what he said, with 40+ years on the road!

Thread Information