0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 150

Year : 06

Mileage : 250,000

Default couple of issues with 150 CDTi

My 06 150 CDTi Auto has developed a couple of issues, any help would be appreciated...

The first is every few days the battery is flat, sometimes it is totally dead, no lights/locking ect. Sometimes it is to the point where it will open the door but not start the engine.
    This only happens when the car is cold/left overnight, once the car has been run up to temp it is fine for the day, sometimes up to a few days and then it will spit its dummy out again and the battery go flat.
    It has had a new alternator and battery in the last 12 months, the charging system seems to be ok, the battery is receiving 14.4V and the drop test has not revealed any faulty cells, we have however noticed that at night the headlights 'pulse' in a steady rhythm, if the interior light is on then this will pulse as well.
    Recently i have been getting 'safeguard' message, we think this is due to the OSR interior light switch no activating, this in turn fools the alarm into thinking that the Door is not protected, would this have such an effect and cause the battery to go flat?

The second issue is the cars occasional desire to create 'james bond' style smoke screens this is normally when the car is warm and sat in traffic.
    The engine note will deepen, as thought it is under load, the revs rise by about 200 rpm and from under the bonnet you will see a plume of blue, very diesel smelling smoke. The same smoke will then appear from the exhaust and can sometimes be very thick, not to mention embarrising
    I have found the only way to 'cure' the issue is to run it at a moderate speed 40+ mph for a short distance, the issue subsides until we are sat in traffic again.

if anyone can supply any help/guidance with either of these two issues thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 150

Year : 06

Mileage : 250,000

Some more info on the second issue:

When it happens the mpg at standstill goes from 0.1 gal/h to 0.8 gal/h and it only happens when the car is hot.

Fuel consumption plummets and there are clouds of blue diesel smoke being emitted out of the exhaust.

It's as though the car has reverted back to cold start so I am starting to think that it is sensor related.

There is no fault code and no spanner light on the dash, but I am worried that this could cause more damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

I would say that for the 1st issue then the OSR switch and alarm believing the door is unprotected would be a starter on your dead battery issues.

On the second note it sounds like the DPF is trying to regenerate, and it may be that it is failing altogether. When the DPF regenerates, it changes the fuel timing to burnoff (regenerate/clean) the soot out in the DPF. But a regenerating DPF should not becausing blue smoke. Something is wrong there, and I would say it has something to do with the regen of the DPF, as you say it clears after 40mpg. Maybe the DPF is blocked very badly and the engine is trying to clean it all the time.

Gazza4

Thread Information