Thread: Kerb Lighting finished

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Kerb Lighting finished

Right guys after a few problems i have finished this mod. I have taken a few pics along the way. Any mods feel free to put into the how 2 section

Firstly there are other ways to wire this mod but heres is how i finally done mine.

To start with i picked up a set of OEM lights from ebay. If you are hoping to get a set from the scrapyard, you will have to take them from a 2002 car as they were only fitted to cars that age. Cars newer don't have the lights nor the loom.

When they were fitted, they were originally fitted into the door frame but i was not feeling confident enough to cut the doors. So i fitted them in the door cards.

Remove your door cards. There is info on how to do this within the forum.

Now cut a channel to house the light. Do this for all four doors

Now for the wiring.

I took a negative from the frame work from the rear doors.

The front doors are hinged on nylon bushes meaning you cant get a good earth. So you will need to tap into the brown wire on the loom (no pic sorry)

Now for the fun bit. You will need to route cables into the car for a positive feed. Heres what i did...

Rear doors... unplugged the loom and drilled out the spare holes and fed the cable through the grommet into the cabin. (long screw driver and tape is needed here to feed wire into the car) You will also need to pull away the plastics on the B'pillar

The front doors are a bit trickier. You will need to drop the lower part of the dash.(driver side) It is held on with 5 torx screws. You will need to remove the headlight switch to reveal one of the screws.

Passenger side. you will need to remove the glove box and also the relay module which sits inside the footwell.

Remove the loom plug like the rears and drill out a spare hole. Feed the cable through.

You will need to remove the loom's grommet by taking it into the car then using the screwdriver trick feed the cable through. This can be very tricky to refit.

Now link the rear to the front using a connector block

Also crimp on spade type connectors for the lights and refit door cards.

Now remove the interior light, sun shades and A'pillar covers.

This will allow you to take a cable down each side to meet up with your new wiring.

Now this is where i found out the hard truth of not using a multi meter

I was hoping to find a switched positive in the interior light which there isn't

I now had two options...

1. remove the earths that i had previously wired in the doors and find a live feed on the door loom.

2. Find another live feed which would be suitable.

I went for number two and took the cable right across the headlining to the boot where i found a feed from the numberplate lights which works well

Unlock doors kerb lights come on and remain on for the duration that the boot is unlocked

sidelights on kerblights come on

exiting the vehicle. press boot lock button, kerb lights come on

Any questions just ask as i probably could have documented a bit more of how this was done tbh

Keith
    Last edited by Keithy; 16th November 2010 at 06:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Tourer

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTI (160ps)

Year : 2010

Glad you finally got these working fella. Not one for me I'm afraid, don't like them, but if you like them then a job well done

Would you not have been better off tapping into the interior lighting circuit (as that comes on when you unlock the car too and would also have come on when you opened the doors so no need to press the boot button (which on mine would physically open it as I have the powered tailgate). Just needed to tap off the live side of the bulb.
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Maptun Tuned 2.0T Estate - click HERE for mods list.
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I tried tapping of the live side of the bulb mate but it was a constant live. Also tried the brown/white wire but in order for it to work correctly i would have had to change he - in the doors to a +

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Facelift

Engine : 1.9Cdti 150

Year : 2007

Normally interior lights have permanent live it was normally the door switches which earthen out thus light came on by opening door or boot. I understand these switches are now no longer used and interior lights are controlled through electronics some how/where

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 9-3 Wagon

Trim : Turbo Edition

Engine : TID (1.9 16v)

Mileage : 137000

Nice write up mate, although if you want to submit it to the How 2 section you need to add the pics from the forums uploader not photo bucket unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Tourer

Engine : 2.0 CDTI (160ps)

Didn't know that, but it would still be relatively easy to put an earth switched relay in though that comes on when the interior light gets earthed and sends power to your kerb lights.

Just pointing out that the way you've done it, anyone with a powered boot lid can't do it as the boot unlock button actually opens the boot. Also I'm a lazy sod and having to push a button to get the kerb lights to come on every time would annoy me and I'd end up never using them lol

Nice job though, you like them, that's what matters
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Maptun Tuned 2.0T Estate - click HERE for mods list.
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Great mod, something i've been wanting for a while. I live on a busy street and they would make it a bit safer when i'm getting my daughter out of her car seat while she's sleeping.
    Do you have part numbers for the lights?

Admin & Membership Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

Well done mate excellent guide

Ive added it to How 2 section just have to get section mods to sort out redirect
    Last edited by bigmac; 17th November 2010 at 14:22.

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBilly View Post
    Great mod, something i've been wanting for a while. I live on a busy street and they would make it a bit safer when i'm getting my daughter out of her car seat while she's sleeping.
    Do you have part numbers for the lights?
    Exactly the reason i have done this mate. When parked at inlaws its scary putting the kids in their seats. As for part numbers i'm unsure as i found a set on ebay. Dealer should find them easily though
    Last edited by Keithy; 17th November 2010 at 18:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i think its a good idea!!! looks good in the flesh too.

great work min

paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information