Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Auto Box "pulling" in neutral / when stood still

Hi all,

I am no expert on auto boxes but have a second vectra elite 150 auto first was a 54 plate, current car is a 58 plate, this problem has been experienced with both - if it's a fault I would like to try and get VX to fix while it is still under warranty - but you know the problem they will want to charge me to look for it and then find nothing.

The problem is intermittent and happens when the vehicle comes to rest with foot on the brake, sometimes you can feel the car pulling as if it wanst to drive on, at the same time the economy on the screen shows 1 gal / hour instead of the usual 0.3 to 0.4 gal / hour. I can move the gear shift into neutral or even Park and the "pullng continues". If i turn the engine off and back on the problem goes away, if I turn the engine off in Drive it goes off with quite a considerable jump.

I cannot believe that the above is normal and am concerned that it will get worse and end up costing a considerable sum.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, or does anyone know the cause and remedy - any help would be appreciated.

This car has now done 55K with me doing the last 25k in 5 months or so - problem has only just arisen, car has just been serviced - happened before and after service, apart from this gear box is smooth and responsive - most of my driving is motorway at cruising speeds (yes even in the UK) with engine around 1500 to 2000 rpm.

Look forward to your replies.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I can move the gear shift into neutral or even Park and the "pullng continues"
    It shouldn't do that..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    if I turn the engine off in Drive it goes off with quite a considerable jump.
    You really shouldnt do that...

My auto will creep along if handbrake is off and its in drive, thats normal... If yours is creeping when its in "Park" then there something seriously wrong with your car, get it looked at matey...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

Quote Originally Posted by nibblitz View Post
    It shouldn't do that..

You really shouldnt do that...

My auto will creep along if handbrake is off and its in drive, thats normal... If yours is creeping when its in "Park" then there something seriously wrong with your car, get it looked at matey...

If the tickover is high they can creep in drive with NO brake or Park selected, but what you're getting needs sorting - soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Does not creep in Park but???

Hi car does not actually creep in [ark or neutral but you can feel the gearbox pulling as if it wants to drive, as if the pressure is being built up with no where to go.

Cheers

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Tick Over normal 750 - 800 rpm ish

Hi Tick over seems fine when stood still / slowing down but box is definitley wanting to go, when you come to a stop you can feel a bit of judder where the "drive" has clearely not eased off fully, the same if you easeof the brake a touch.

Regards

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not too clear what your saying.. You're now saying it doesnt pull along when in park/neutral (which is good) but you can feel gearbox pulling in park/neutral ??? Not sure how that would feel to be honest.. When Im driving along and come to a stop then yea, with just my foot on the brake the car still wants to go forward as its still in drive.. Have you ever driven other automatics? Sorry, but how you describe your issue is a bit unclear if its a problem or just a characteristic of autos you're exeperiencing..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

Check the cable adjustment? Not sure if this is covered by the likes of Haynes though

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

With the consumption at 1gal/h, it sounds as if this is happening when the DPF (diesel particulate filter) is regenerating. Extra fuel is being injected and passed into the DPF which raises it's temperature and burns off accumulated soot. This process affects the idle of the engine causing lumpiness and increased idle speed, which can explain the car 'pulling' against the brakes more than usual when in 'D'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Let it finish the dpf regen or you maybe in for a big bill! Wait for the 1gal/hour to return to the normal .4 etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I don't get how it can feel as if it is pulling, if it is not?! If my foot is on the brake then it drops into neutral after a couple of seconds if in D.

If you put the handbrake on, then the gearbox stays in D and you will feel the car pulling...

1g/ph is too high though and does sound like a regen...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information