Thread: MTEC bulbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default MTEC bulbs

Just fitted a set of HID 12v 55w to my vec and certainly ain't impressed. Not as bright as standard bulb. Anyone else running these?... Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by chewy71 View Post
    Just fitted a set of HID 12v 55w to my vec and certainly ain't impressed. Not as bright as standard bulb. Anyone else running these?... Thoughts?
    If you're talking about side lights,I am using the MTEC 501 5w,and I don't have a problem with mine.They're just as bright as my 35w 6k headlights.In fact,they compliment them very well,the bulb glows white when it's on, not yellow like normal 501's.Are your's the MTEC Super white or super bright?,(I think that's what they are called),then if so no.
    If you are talking about headlights,then there must be something wrong with your set up!!.FELIXX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah dip beam main driving lights... I have a feelin they're too low so will have it checked out... Another test tonight. I've only done dip beam so far but if I'm happy I'll do side and main too

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

Quote Originally Posted by chewy71 View Post
    I guess you're talking about these or something similar http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-xe...lbs-p-393.html.

I've tried them in other non Vectras and yes, they look cool and nice and white but don't expect to see much at night. I've posted before stating the same .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

Quote Originally Posted by gtr1000 View Post
    I guess you're talking about these or something similar http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-xe...lbs-p-393.html.

I've tried them in other non Vectras and yes, they look cool and nice and white but don't expect to see much at night. I've posted before stating the same .
    O was going to try them instead of my usual ones from magichoop on ebay, if they're that bad I won't bother - though I found you do need to set the height right first, mine were way too low.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy1954 View Post
    O was going to try them instead of my usual ones from magichoop on ebay, if they're that bad I won't bother - though I found you do need to set the height right first, mine were way too low.
    I first tried the MTEC ones in a 59 plate Volvo V70 with the beams set spot on at my local MOTstation. They looked just like factory fit Xenons by day but at night they were worse than the OEM bulbs. It's a fine line between what you want them to look like and what you want to see at night. JMO but in terms of being able to see things at night and the "white" look (short of going to a HIDS conversion), MTEC's at the bottom of the list, followed by Philips X-treme and at the top we have Osram Nightbreakers.

I've currently got the X-Treme's in the Volvo and Nightbreakers in a Citroen C3 and the C3 offers by far the best night time vision.

HTH.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hang on - you mean you fitted xenon bulbs, not an HID Xenon bulb kit?
    I did exactly that a few weeks ago, and found that because the new bulbs were a bit brighter, they actually looked dimmer because of the beam shaping 'cut-off' plate in the light unit. In other words, no fault of the bulb, more the design of the ****-poor dip lights on the PFL Vectra!
    Sorted mine by fitting an HID kit, like so many others from here - bought from HIDs Direct.
    How much better?
    LOTS!!!!!
    Could still do with re-setting the beams as someone on here described, but haven't got round to that yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

Quote Originally Posted by gtr1000 View Post
    I first tried the MTEC ones in a 59 plate Volvo V70 with the beams set spot on at my local MOTstation. They looked just like factory fit Xenons by day but at night they were worse than the OEM bulbs. It's a fine line between what you want them to look like and what you want to see at night. JMO but in terms of being able to see things at night and the "white" look (short of going to a HIDS conversion), MTEC's at the bottom of the list, followed by Philips X-treme and at the top we have Osram Nightbreakers.

I've currently got the X-Treme's in the Volvo and Nightbreakers in a Citroen C3 and the C3 offers by far the best night time vision.

HTH.
    Apart from not liking the really blue ones, as they hurt my eyes, I don't give a monkeys what they look like as long as I can see where I'm going. Looks like it'a wait for magichoop to get some in or get the nightbreakers then, as I'm not ready to try HiD yet. Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

looks like I'm going back to normal bulbs I think... Not wasting more money on crap that doesnt do whaat it says it does:
    "twice as bright as standard bulbs" my ass

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi (VXR Styling)

Engine : Z19DTH (Re-mapped)

Year : 04

Mileage : 140k