0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My dilemma

I joined this forum as i anticapated changing our Sri Veccy B which we had from nearly new for nearly six years and found it a great car.Was looking out for a Gsi or poss an Edition 100 but in our search the wife fell in love with an Astra sri+ exterior pack in black at a VX dealership only 7 months old at a good price but deep down i was gutted it wasn't a Vectra.After owning it 2 months i,m still gutted and have not "warmed" to the Astra at all especially after still looking at all the nice modded cars on this great site , i think the wife is not over happy with it compared to the Vectra.No arm rest,cup holders,no info on the display,coolant,water levels etc,but biggest gripe is no temperature gauge .Paid £12500 2 months ago,went into our local dealership and enquired about Px against poss a Vectra and told around £10200 which the wifey says no way loosing that amount in 2 months.So my dilemma is to poss change or not.Shame because £12500 would have bought a nice Vectra.Read up loads on the new Astra beforehand and all looked good,but i'm afraid it is not a patch on the the Vectra or do the Vectra's suffer so much cost cutting on the later models.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Strummerd,

I move from a vec B 2.0 sri to the vec c GSi and the difference was night and day . I’m afraid the depreciation is something that affects all the vaux range. I got a fantastic spec motor for the price (less than 50% of the new price in 1.5 years) but I try and avoid looking at the used car valuations.

The problem is that you have not had your fix yet, I always wanted a GSi and I can move up or down with fond memories (you need to speak nicely to the boss, but I’m afraid the depreciation is something you need to live with – similar spec cars are much dearer to start off with but they hold their value a bit better)

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Strummerd, I have owned my GSI for 3 years and i still love it. I have looked around at other cars and some of the chaps on this site have gone over to astra vxr, 888 ect. I cant afford a vxr Astra or veccy vxr at the moment and when i look at other spec cars they do not even come close to mine. I have just got home from work and i put my foot down and it goes, in my car colour sat nav, xenons ect..ect all the toys i could possible ask for, iam a happy man.
    My wife has a new shape 1.6 design, it's ok a little on the small side, no where to put my soft drink when driving, no colour screen, no center arm rest(i use that all the time). Most things that you have mentioned.
    If you are unhappy then try to sell it private to get yourself more cash and go get yourself back in a veccy of your choice.
    Best of luck M8

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your input guys,we were very happy with the old sri so if Swatty says the newer Vectra is that much better i am certainly missing out as i feel as if i have gone back with the Astra.Don't get me wrong when it's clean and shiney it looks a nice car,but when i had the Veccy i cleaned it at least every week,since we have had the Astra it's been cleaned 3 times in 2 months .Will have a good think and try and talk the misses around.Problem is she is the main driver(also have a modified V6 Cougar) and she don't like the thought of loosing so much in a very short time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I faced a similar dilemma with my last car, bought a brand new Corsa with the 1.7Di (no turbo) engine, lovely little car but the engine just had no guts. I'd bought it new and then found the Vectra less than 9 months later. Cost me a couple of grand in depreciation, but at the end of the day I wasn't happy with the engine and really wanted the Vectra, so bit the bullet and got what I really wanted. No point in hanging on to the car if it makes you miserable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some how is the vectra's blood flowing in us, after looking with various model in the vauxhall stable, is still the Vectra that melt me.....

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went from Vec C to Astra, the main reason being change in Job and the wife found the Vec - C to big to drive, and she is the main driver now, if it`s for your wife you should hire one for a couple of days and see if she likes it first ? As the others have said though, if you are really unhappy with it, bite the bullet and trade it in on a C, they are great cars and I certainly miss mine ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the car isnt meeting your requirements then not going to be an enjoyable ownership. A sad fact is that all the time the astra is losing value and if you think £2500 is bad now, wait 18months when they will offer you £6K for it. Vauxhall dont drop in value, they plummet so if you really want to change, sell it quick, get what you want and dont ever look at how much its worth.

Thread Information