Thread: SRi 18" Test Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Red face SRi 18" Test Drive

I test drove an Insignia yesterday, the 160 BHP Sri diesel on 18" alloy wheels. I like the seating position, could do with the seat going a little lower but overall a good position with both armrests working well. The gearchange is much improved and the interior quality is good. I do find though the diesel engine to be noisy, more than in the Vectra and at motorway speeds I thought it would be quieter. I also found the ride very harsh, I cannot imagine how bad it must be on a rough surface with 20" wheels. There were a few vibration noises here and there and for one year old car the brakes felt soft.

So overall I am not impressed, I think it looks great and the interior is a nice place to be, but the noise and ride and probable ever growing number of vibrations mean I will not be getting an Insignia.

I also test drove a Focus 1.6 diesel, not really a Vectra alternative I know but I quite like it, good ride and very precise steering with superb brakes. The engine felt quite slow even compared to my 1.8 Vectra which is considered slow off the mark, thought a 115BHP diesel in a smaller car would provide a little low down grunt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You wouldnt want to replace the tyres if you had the 20" wheels at £277 a corner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I can relate, I love so many things about the Insignia and if had to choose a new car today for work would go this route everytime over Ford /Mazda/ VW but it has it's downs too, but hey, every car does!

As for the Focus, amazing wee chassis, but works better with the 2.0 TDCi as the 1.6 seems so reluctant to get off the line, it's funny on the motorway it is actually fine at cruising speeds accelerating OK, but away from a standing start is so poor,,

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Mc View Post
    I can relate, I love so many things about the Insignia and if had to choose a new car today for work would go this route everytime over Ford /Mazda/ VW but it has it's downs too, but hey, every car does!

As for the Focus, amazing wee chassis, but works better with the 2.0 TDCi as the 1.6 seems so reluctant to get off the line, it's funny on the motorway it is actually fine at cruising speeds accelerating OK, but away from a standing start is so poor,,

Agreed the 2.0TDCi is better. I guess it is because at 1.6 it is small for a deisel, and relies more on the turbo for the 115bhp than the older 2.0 TDCi 115bhp did, so suffers from 0-30 more than the bigger unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamLX View Post
    Agreed the 2.0TDCi is better. I guess it is because at 1.6 it is small for a deisel, and relies more on the turbo for the 115bhp than the older 2.0 TDCi 115bhp did, so suffers from 0-30 more than the bigger unit.

It staggers me thinking of the 1.6 in the Volvo S80 and V70!! I mean honestly book a appointment next week to see 60mph!

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

There does seem to be a trend to fit very small engines. There is a 1.4 petrol option for the massive Skoda Superb! It is both Super and Turbo charged, but this surely must strain the unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

There does seem to be a trend to fit very small engines. There is a 1.4 petrol option for the massive Skoda Superb! It is both Super and Turbo charged, but this surely must strain the unit.
    God, I have the superb with the 1.9tdi and that is pretty slow.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by gallag View Post
    God, I have the superb with the 1.9tdi and that is pretty slow.

The 1.9TDi Superb was one of the cars I considered. I actually would have gone for it if I didn't tow the caravan. The car I looked at was a mid trim car being used by the dealer as a demonstrator. Very roomy and very classy inside compared with the Mondeo (Mk4) or TBH the Insignia.

The 2.0TDi is quicker (they have the 1.9 set up as only 105bhp) but I wouldn't touch the VAG 2.0TDi with a barge pole. The annoying thing is that the 1.9 can easily be set up to produce as much if not more power than the 140bhp the 2.0 produces. The VAG 1.9 TDi is one of the most reliable and economical diesels. Never understood why they produce the 2.0, when it uses a lot more diesel for very little if any extra power and yet also breaks far more often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Grand Sport

Trim : SRI VX-LINE NAV

Engine : 1.5T (165)

Year : 2018

Mileage : 37000

Yeh, you would think so, but all the majors have brought out 1.4T petrols. Time will tell whether they prove reliable long-term pushing up to 140bhp out of a 1.4T.

And the VW group, Renault and Fiat have 1.2T engines delivering up to 100bhp.

And the consumer is paying for the privilege of 'real-world' testing them.

But the small petrol turbo units are claimed to be faster, have more torque that peaks earlier,
    are more fuel-efficient and have lower emissions than the engines they replace.

And as for the new diesels they all have DPF's to meet Euro 5 regulations.
    Last edited by john_k_sri; 11th November 2010 at 13:59.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes the super charger is designed to boost the small engine from lower revs, then the turbo kicks in. Still think that you have what is a much more complex engine to develope faults doing the same job as a bigger but simpler engine. I believe in engineering the simpler the solution the better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information