Thread: Turbo Died Vectra 120 8v

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Turbo Died Vectra 120 8v

Gave car into garage to check, driving above 70mph in 3rd spanner comes an limits power to no more than 3500, turn car off restart car runs fine up to the 70mph in third again, turbo kicks in until 70mph in third, loss of power

Garage checked it over and says wastegate on turbo not opening sumtyms, which limits power n power loss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

bump

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds like the garage is guessing! Do you know the fault codes that were stored when the garage did the diagnostics? Try the pedal test (search forum for what this is) and post back here with any codes you find.

A more common cause of boost problems on the 1.9CDTi is split or damaged vacuum lines. There are several posts on this forum about them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by mani911gt3 View Post
    Gave car into garage to check, driving above 70mph in 3rd spanner comes an limits power to no more than 3500, turn car off restart car runs fine up to the 70mph in third again, turbo kicks in until 70mph in third, loss of power

Garage checked it over and says wastegate on turbo not opening sumtyms, which limits power n power loss
    70mph in 3rd?,that sounds a bit rash to me.Have you always ragged it like that?,because that might be a little contributing factor to your problems.FELIXX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9CDTi

Year : 2005

Mileage : Lots

Quote Originally Posted by LADmachining View Post
    Sounds like the garage is guessing! Do you know the fault codes that were stored when the garage did the diagnostics? Try the pedal test (search forum for what this is) and post back here with any codes you find.

A more common cause of boost problems on the 1.9CDTi is split or damaged vacuum lines. There are several posts on this forum about them.
    Was thinking along the lines of a vaccum pipe has had it. Find the one going down to the turbo, it's a thin pipe only a couple of mm thick. Pull it off from the other end (not at the turbo), put it in your mouth and suck. The wastegate should move a little bit. Pit your tongue on it to hold a vaccum. If the pressure releases there's a leak in the pipe. If it holds strong to your tongue, the problem is somewhere else. If the wastegate isn't opening sometimes and you're booting it in third, a sensor further along the system will be detecting too higher boost, that is more than likely the cause for the spanner light.

I do agree with the others though, 70mph upwards in third? Bit harsh, that far up the rev range you'll be out of the majority of the torque and power curves anyway. It'll be screaming for very little gain!

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by cont1204 View Post
    Was thinking along the lines of a vaccum pipe has had it. Find the one going down to the turbo, it's a thin pipe only a couple of mm thick. Pull it off from the other end (not at the turbo), put it in your mouth and suck. The wastegate should move a little bit. Pit your tongue on it to hold a vaccum. If the pressure releases there's a leak in the pipe. If it holds strong to your tongue, the problem is somewhere else. If the wastegate isn't opening sometimes and you're booting it in third, a sensor further along the system will be detecting too higher boost, that is more than likely the cause for the spanner light.
    It's probably overboosting. Cleaning boost/MAP sensor would be first job on list.

Quote Originally Posted by cont1204 View Post
    I do agree with the others though, 70mph upwards in third? Bit harsh, that far up the rev range you'll be out of the majority of the torque and power curves anyway. It'll be screaming for very little gain!
    120 has 3.35 final drive ratio and 70mph in third puts it at around 4000 rpm. Probably closer to 4500 rpm with 150 and V6 diesels.
    Last edited by diesel dog; 16th November 2010 at 03:29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by felixx View Post
    70mph in 3rd?,that sounds a bit rash to me.Have you always ragged it like that?,because that might be a little contributing factor to your problems.FELIXX.
    Ragging it its been a while what rpm would that be doing.

Think mine can hit somewere around the 100 mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Quote Originally Posted by LADmachining View Post

I would be more inclined to believe this too.

Does she put out lots of smoke? If so I would say that is the answer. If the boost sensor was blocked/clogged it was cause a near 'flat spot' feel and the car would feel down on power a bit. Cleaning these will help the response but I would agree with LAD Machining - it definitely sounds like split hose.

Gazza4

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Sean-2.2Direct View Post

Think mine can hit somewere around the 100 mark
    Yes, but let's not get into the fact the CDTI's ratios are much too low again.

If yours is the 5 speed box, then yes, an indicated 95-100mph shouldn't be a problem in 3rd gear at max rpm (6500). If its the 6 speed box, then probably a bit less than that. Max mph with 120 CDTI is 85mph in 3rd at 5000rpm, 80mph for 150/V6 CDTI's.

I don't think that a 120 CDTI is particularly under much stress achieving 70mph in 3rd.

I had similar issue to this myself. The car would go into limp mode when reaching around 4000rpm in 3rd gear, particularly if going up a hill. Turned out that the boost sensor was to blame, but not until VX had replaced the turbo first.

Thread Information