0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Other Car Problem

Obviously this is a Vec forum but I just thought i would ask as I know some of you guys have a wealth of experience with a wide range of cars, not sure if this is the right section either.

I have a Pug 406 with a 2.0 HDi engine, which I find quite tappy. I have had the engine management light on a couple of times recently and a message at start up saying 'engine antipollution device faliure' or words to that fact. it tens to go outthe next day.

Car starts and drives ok with normal driving and getting 43 mpg on my 7 mile each way trip to work (morning and evening), driving quite gently too...1500-2500rpm. Car done 80k, just been serviced at home and gonna get timing belt done this weekend. Also I get engine/fumes smell in the car when stationary or slow manouvering. Can't hear any exhaust blowing either?

Yesterday and this evening things appeared to get worse, but I think this is because I decided to rev it a little harder. Car appears to run nice and smooth with ordinary driving upto 2500rpm. A gave it a bit of hard accelleration through the gears yesterday revving upto around 4000rpm and there was plenty of black smoke out the back, but once into 4th it started clattering really badly, like a loud tapping noise, I lifted off and drove on light throttle as i had to keep flow with the traffic and the tapping continued for around half a mile than just stopped. Obviously I just kept the throttle quite light. Went to work as normal today. This evening I thought i'd try revving it again to see if there was going to be a repeat of the symtoms. I only revved through the gears upto around 3500rpm and then into 5th and upto motorway speed. Then after half a mile at constant speed it started clattering/tapping and the engine managment light came on and the car appeared to go into limp mode, but it got worse as it just crawled to a halt and cut out out. Engine and oil temps were normal. After a couple of attempt to restart it fired up and I managed to get home with what appears to be a normal running car, apart from the engine managment light is now on. It appears the symtom only appears when the car is driven hard or abave 3000rpm....any ideas

If anyone has any experience on this engine or can point me in the right direction, it would be gratefully appreciated

North Wales - Assistant Regional Organiser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I can remember of my dads old Citroen C5 which I think shares the same engine, the anti pollution message COULD relate to what is I think, called the Eolys fluid. It's injected into the fuel tank when you visit the pumps to make the engine run cleaner. It's possible that you're out of it. Woud you say the tapping was from the top or bottom of the engine? We had an old Laguna that used to kick loads of crap out the back because it was only driven gently, then it failed its MOT. The tester told us to blast it in 2nd and 3rd down an A road and bring it back. No smoke and passed the emissions. I'd be disinclined to do that with the tapping noise though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I have a DPF on mine, which is what the Eolys Fluid is for, not that i've ever heard of it.

Thread Information