On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default University Fees

Just wondered what the members on here think of the news that University fees can now rise to upto £9000 per year. I think that it is a real mess. Universities are going to be blamed by the students when in fact this is completely the governments doing. I am also not just talking about the recent budget cuts. In the past the country was able to fund free university education because only people fit for and interested in higher education went to University. However for years the state has fiddled with schools, meaning virtually every Tom Dick or Harry can leave school with a string of grade A GCSE's and A-levels. Universities have to take them in, only to find that most are incapable of performing at university level. This had lead to the dumbing down of degrees, and the introduction of ever more useless topics. In reality no more than 5-10% of school leavers should get to University, which would make it affordable.

As it stands the current system has just meant that everyone will have to pay for degrees that are now so common they mean little in terms of helping the graduate get decent employment. An example of stupidity is nursing degrees!!! Nurses do not need a degree. Cost money, cost them money and means they press for graduate level wages, costing the NHS more money. Foolishness in the extreme.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Year : 2013

Mileage : 3023

TBH I think it's right that they pay for their own education, Everyone is put through 11 years of schooling for free, except those that choose to go private of course, If you then want to "further" educate yourself then it's only right you pay for it, The crux of it is that If I or anyone on here wanted to further our education by doing a course that would benefit work skills etc or any other kind of course then we're expected to pay for it, and they aren't cheap.

It might just be me but I cannot really see what all the fuss is about..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

The limit of 9,000 posted above is somewhat misleading. The normal 'limit' will be £6,000 but anything over that (up to £9,000) will need justification and proper assistance for access by lower income family kids also will need to be demonstrated.

Personally, I think the major 'crime' here is that University leavers will be saddled with a debt of £40,000 (estimated). Although they won't have to start paying it back until they are earning over £21,000 and then they will pay 9% of earnings above that threshold WHILST ALSO ACCRUING INTEREST at RPI + 3%.

There is a fundemental problem with how our higher education system operates and the gov't has control of it. That is the target that 50% of people will have degrees. To me that will result in several bad outcomes.

1. Some people will do dubious / worthless courses
    2. Degrees become meaningless, as too many people have them (effectively becoming non discrimatory)
    3. Course fees increase
    4. Living expenses increase as demand rises
    5. People 'waste' a few years of their lives
    6. The more traditional Trades become less and less 'attractive', so costs increase as demand increases and supply decreases.
    7. Less useful courses become the norm, as they are considered 'easier'
    8. Difficult courses - Medical, Engineering, Science based studies become less attractive
    9. UK Inc becomes less technology developing
    10. UK Inc has to increase professional immigration
    etc

All in all a very bad thing.

Personally, I disagree that higher education should cost at the point of delivery. It should be more exclusive (to reduce / eliminate the problems listed above), and only useful / worthwhile courses should be offered to people of the right calibre. I 'could' be persuaded by a graduate tax when earnings go over a certain threshold. BUT the whole of society benefits from good quality courses, attended by high calibre undergraduates, so why should only the student pay?

When I was at Uni doing Mechanical Engineering in the early 90s, we used to call the useless / worthless courses 'underwater basket weaving' - mainly because they were about as useful as that.

I read constantly that some people have got absolutely nothing from their uni education, apart from a big debt hanging around them.
    Last edited by Ste; 4th November 2010 at 13:36.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yip I agree Ste, you have more or less said exactly what I did. There are far to many people going to University. Even before your University time in the 90s (really need to go back at least to the 80s) when to get good enough A-levels to get to uni (typically 3 Cs for a decent degree subject) you actually had to be a good pupil at school. Now even getting grades A at A-level gives virtually no indication of how well the kid will do once at University. In short the school exams are now worthless in terms of allowing Universities to descriminate between applicants (leading to increasing use of interviews etc for premium subjects such as Medicine). Add to this the creation of numerous degrees in the Arts & Humanities that are of no practical use at all, and you havea tertiary education system that costs far to much for the state to offer free University education in the way primary and secondary is. Make University only for the best, and for useful subjects and then it could be afforded and free to the user. To be honest a lot of money spent even on secondary education is wasted. Quite a high percentage of the population really would do just as well if they finished school at 11. Don't need anything beyond basic reading/writing and maths to sit around in football tops all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

Not informed enough to know the financial side, though to me it sounds a heavy burden for the students. I do have to agree with the crazy numbers and types of degrees now available it's becoming meaningless to have one, but, having done one, with the debt to repay, people expect higher wages which aren't always appropriate.
    Different governments over the years have messed about so much with the education system, we now have generations that can't spell or add up simple sums properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : BMW 525i

Trim : M-Sport

Engine : 2.5l Straight 6

Im on a placement this year and i just hope my final years tuition fees will be sensible next year. I have to pay 650 quid to do my placement, and i never go to university once! The only thing the 650 quid is paying for is to keep my name in their books till september

Thread Information