User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now i think its the throttle body!! PLEASE HELP!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Now i think its the throttle body!! PLEASE HELP!

Hi, could someone please offer some advice on a problem i'm having with my 05 vauxhall signum elegance 2.0 dti. Car is going in to limp mode and is losing all power, doesn't stall but runs like a bag of ****e - very scary when in outside lane or in a contraflow through the Mersey tunnel!!!!

I have so far changed the egr valve - had manifold removed and cleaned - replaced throttle pedal. Yet the problem persists. It seems to happen completely at random, at high and low speeds, standing still at traffic lights. Once the car is turned off for a period the spanner light disappears and away we go - but for how long is impossible to say!

The code coming up on the diagnostic machine is something like p0608 (sorry i did have it down but can't find the bit of paper!). Code relates to throttle area of the car. The next thing i'm thinking of trying is a new throttle body with sensors.

3 quesions, do you think this will finally solve the problem, where can i get a cheap one from? If its not this, what else could it be??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Search for a thread entitled "How to check and fix throttle body" by user Andreitone.

Sounds very similar to what I was experiencing a few weeks ago (except for the spanner light and fault code)

I followed this How2 and car is working fine again.

HTH

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum 2.0 DTi

Trim : Elegance/Elite

Engine : 2.0DTi

Year : 2003

Mileage : 73350

Part one of your three question,s Hard to tell the fault code you put up does not relate to a throttle body fault
    part two for a cheapish throttle body try www.vauxcentre.com £201.51 delivered
    As for what else could it be have you checked your vacuum hoses for cracks or perforations especially around the connectors .
    Also check your intercooler hoses from the throttle body to the turbo via the intercooler for splits or cracking
    Next are all your vacuum hoses actually conected correctly dont laugh when i had a problem i took it to a garage to sort and it came out worse than when it went in all because they had reconnected the vacuum hoses wrongly
    Right assuming you have got this far and still have a problem remove manifold clean with carb cleaner around the butterfly to make sure it can move freely next step is to remove boost sensor and clean that with carb cleaner , if this is black on removal at most only use a small artist,s paint brush to clean tip . the tip is a yellow colour .
    Next step if stil in ther poo check to see if your actuattors are still working . these are the two canisters onyour bulk head above the radiator and there is also one by your maf sensor which is connected to your turbo , Firstly look at the top of each actuattor they marked in and load.
    The load one should go to its connected vacuum slave unit . break each connection at this point and with a wet finger check to see if you have suction , if not suspect actuattor is faulty.
    This is about as far as you can go without getting a garage involved it is basically a process of elimination but the above checks will go a long way to solving your problems .
    If its any consolation to you this is the biggest single problem with the dti engine but one of the easiest to solve when you know ypour way around the system
    Another tip if you find any cracks in the vacuum hoses replace it all with 3 meters of silicone vacuum hose will cost you £7 ish rather than the £30 odd that vauxhall will charge you for replacement rubber hose
    Driving vauxhall,s for 30 + years
    and still loving it

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks, aside from this i'm really enjoying the car i just need to get this sorted. Its extremely dangerous and inconvenient as you can imagine!

Having looked back through some threads i've seen one where the chap replaced all his vacuum hoses with blue 2mm silicone ones (you actually commented on the thread Bob). I think this will be a cheap one to eliminate first so i've ordered some from ebay and will replace mine once it arrived. Fingers crossed this sorts it. If not i'll be mithering you again!!

Thanks for both your responses!! Much appreciated!!! Just hope i don't go in to limp mode at the bottom of the Mersey tunnel tomorrow!!! Might make the 10 o clock news if i do!! How embarrassing!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

The fault code you refer to is P0608 - Powertrain Ctrl Mod VSS Output A Error.

If it was the throttle actuator it would be trouble code: P0638 or P0639.

Gazza4

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by o9roberts View Post

Having looked back through some threads i've seen one where the chap replaced all his vacuum hoses with blue 2mm silicone ones (you actually commented on the thread Bob). I think this will be a cheap one to eliminate first so i've ordered some from ebay and will replace mine once it arrived. Fingers crossed this sorts it. If not i'll be mithering you again!!
    Yep that was me. I have put together a pic and circled 'The Usual Suspects' that us DTI owners tend to have issues with. NOTE my Vacuum pipes are located on the right side of the engine bay but thats because its an early Vectra. You may find on your that they run around the left of the engine bay. Vauxhall changed the postion because they found that the Vacuum solenoids was failing because it was above the hot gearbox.

Heres the pic:

and here is the original thread about the vacuum pipes:
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115759

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for this, HUGE help!! Blue 2mm silicone hose on order. Car went again this morning on way to work! I'll try replacing them and if that doesn't work i'll have to bite the bullet and it'll be a trip to the main dealers.

Innes picture is a massive massive help - engine is identical to mine! Can i just ask if there were any hoses that were difficult to get to? Also did you use anything to lubricate the hoses or does it just slip over the connections easily. Replacing them seems quite easy and straightforward, but i'm no expert and i'm concerned about balls-ing up and creating more problems!

Gazza - the code i got was P0638 as you suggested.

Thanks again

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

There is no way you can balls up replacing the vacuum hoses. My advise is take one piece of old hose off at a time, cut the new hose to that length with some scissors and then reattach. The silicone stretches and is a really good fit. Its not difficult to push on or pull off but its still tight enough that it'll grip on to the solenoids etc. Also suggest for reference you take a pic on your camera or phone of how the pipes are currently plugged in just in case you get confused as to which pipe you had taken off!

Hose stretches over valve for a strong fit.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

PS forgot to mention that you wont need any lubricant. Just push straight on.

There was one hard to reach bit which I have marked on the photos below. You may need to remove the intercooler hose to make some more room. It depends if you have hands like shovels like me!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks again Innes, just nipped out on for my dinner and it gone twice in the space of a 3 mile run!!! Both times slowing up to give ways. When i got it started again i noticed quite a bit of smoke been chucked out of the exhaust. This didn't last long, just on the first big rev up after getting it going again! Does this give anyone a better indication as to what it could be?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information