StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2.2 dti inlet manifold throttle

Hi guys

I have an 04 Vectra dti auto, now with 127 000 miles on the clock and until recently it's been a very good car (ok changed one front shock link and the rear roll bar rubbers and the usual brake pads etc).

However not long back it would start, run badly for a couple of seconds, then cut out. It was recovered to (non main dealer) garage who did readout and diagnosed boost pressure sensor. Changed. Car worked. Seemed to be a result.

Then started getting the spanner warning light. It would go away for only a couple of miles after switch off/on & seemed to be actuated by accceleration. A long night journey to Scotland in limp home was therefore a bit of a nightmare.

I went to a VX main dealer who read out P0234 and P0638 fault codes and said the fault was a sticking throttle control solenoid. No spare stocked so they freed it off & the car was OK for a couple more weeks. They advised a "new solenoid valve" if the problem recurred. Apparently they were referring to "induction manifold upper" part 24459897 about £230!

Then about 10 days back, return to square 1, the car would start, run badly for 2 -3 secs & then die. I discovered that removing (and plugging) the little vacuum tube from the top vacuum powered actuator on the inlet manifold immediately cured the starting problem & the car seems to be running fine!

In the Haynes manual there's no mention of this actuator and in the photos it's not even fitted!

So questions - a) Presumably the actuator on the inlet manifold works a throttle butterfly inside. What's it for and does it matter if it's disconnected?

b) There's a second vacuum powered actuator down the side of the inlet manifold. What does that do?

cheers guys

North Wales - Assistant Regional Organiser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it does and as far as I know, no damage will be done if it's disconnected. It's not used in driving, only when the ignition is being switched off to remove some vibration. Mine was disconnected for a while because it had petrol in it after cleaning the throttle body. Didn't fancy sucking that into the vacum system.

The second actuator.. I can't think what you mean, any chance of a picture?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you have tried cleaning out the throttle havent you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys

I haven't tried cleaning out the throttle yet but the butterfly seems to be moving quite readily. The butterfly apparently works as :- vacuum applied = shut, vented to atmosphere = open

So if the butterfly is shutting when it shouldn't (ie when you try to start the car), it means that vacuum is being applied when it shouldn't.

Therefore I would have thought that either the electric solenoid controlling the vacuum is sticking/faulty and not admitting atmospheric pressure when it should, or there is an incorrect signal coming to the solenoid from the engine management system. I can't see what good channging the throttle body would do (except earn Vauxhall another £230!)

I would think that changing the electric solenoid (about £75) would be the next step, but if the butterfly does nothing useful is it worth bothering??

re photos, I must learn how to post them on these forums!

cheers

Thread Information