Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

confused Z19DTH won't start

Please, I really need some help:

Some data:
    Z19DTH, 45000 KM, no EGR issues (I think) nor 3rd injector either. Until August 6, the car always started OK, run OK, and no warning lights at the dashboard.

Symptoms:
    While driving at 50Km/h, suddenly, the AC stopped cooling, I noticed some power loss, a strange noise coming from the engine, and two warning lights: engine and alternator. Continued driving about 15 km with no jerking at all. Stopped, tried to start the engine again, but the battery had no enough power.

Problem:
    The crankshaft pulley got broken and the auxiliary drive belt was melted. So I bought new ones, and took the car to a friend who fit them perfectly.

Note: from breakdown to repair, the car has been sitted for 10 weeks.

Now, we try to start the engine, with no sucess. It tries to start (I hear 6-8 combustions) but all the following turns looks like there is no fuel or spark into the cylinders, so no further combustions. If you try to start again inmediately, no combustion at all. But if you wait for a minute, the same happens: 6-8 explosions, then no one more. Always the same behaviour.

Thinking it may be the transponder, tried to start with the spare key, with same results.

We have plugged a diagnosis tool, and erased some DTCs. Now, it says there is a fault from camshaft sensor, although the connector and wire seems Ok. Another error code: P0001 (unknown). Besides, it seems like the high pressure pump is not doing its job (maybe caused by the camshaf sensor fail, not sending the engine turns to the ECU?)

My question is:

Since we've bleed the fuel circuit, I think it can be an electrical fail. I've discovered a female connector hunging under the air filter box, green color, two poles, not connected, with no cover, but have no dirt, so maybe it was previously plugged into a (unknown) male connector, buy I have'nt found it anywhere. Maybe it is clean due to it is sheltered under the air filter box? I'm not sure if this connector shall be connected to anything or not.

There is another orphan connector, four poles, square shape, black color, near the AC compressor, not connected either. But it says something about "test" so this one does not matter to me by the moment.

Is it possible that, due to the auxiliary drive belt bursted strongly, some wiring have been outcomed damaged so the camshaft sensor info is not received by the ECU, and consequently the high pressure pump is not putting fuel to the injectors? I cannot appreciate any damage at first glance.

Maybe the fuel circuit, after 2,5 months stopped, has some air intake?

It's taking me into a great headache, and I don't know what else to test. I would appreciate any advise.

Thank you all in advance,

Jose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly! after the repair did the car run ok ? & did it drive ok ?, secondly i think there is a plug at the front near the bottom of the air box that hangs loose!, (its 05.00 am so i cant check!), if the car was NOT started or used after the repair! is there or has there been any cam belt damadge, or has the timing been lost or altered by pieces of the aux belt that melted!, (just a thought), to help to start the engine sometimes if you remove the temprature sensor wire it forces the glow pluge to work witch helps the starting process!. you could loosen the injector pipes to see if fuel is being pumped to them whilst you crank the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi the-wizard, thanks for your reply!

Nop, the car has never started before the repair.

While putting the new crankshaft pulley, we did not appreciate any anomaly in the cam belt or around.

I have loosen the injector pipes (first and second) while cranking the engine, and some fuel goes out! But I think there is no enough pressure into the common rail, since the fuel goes out slowly, not at the expected amount. To achieve this, I have loosen this nut:

I'll try removing the temp sensor as you say. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new crank shaft sensor needed ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi roswell,

I find it hard to believe the crank shaft sensor has got smashed, but I'm inclined to think that some wire may have been teared off by the melted belt, and this faulty wire is causing the sensor not to work. Do you really think the sensor may have been damaged by driving with no auxiliary drive belt?

Anyway, I'm going to have a look on the (lower side) wiring later.

Thank you indeed,

Jose

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im working on a backward theory, your crank shaft sensor sent a wrong signal causing the timing to go and the belt to snap ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you need to check as much wiring as possible, also tighten the pipe you have pointed out,! loosen all 4 injector pipes, crank out any air if there is any, then try as i said with the temp sensor off, as a last resort you could spray some carb cleaner or easy start (try not to use easy start) in the pipe i will describe next!, next to the dipstick on the left there is a joint where the metal breather pipe joins with a rubber pipe spray down into the rubber pipe, but you also realy need to make sure the timming belt is 100% ok.
    Last edited by the-wizard; 27th October 2010 at 15:29.

Thread Information