0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra-c

Trim : sri

Engine : cdti

Year : 2004

Mileage : 98,000

Default Cdti ''big sucker!''

Well after around 1000 miles plus i have yet again removed the 'fat' inter-cooler to throttle body pipe, doing this 3/4 times after doing a vent to atmos divert has given me insight to how healthy & clean my system is!, so without further Ado, the oily residue slowly reduced now at NIL!!,Therefore my turbo seals are fine! & the intercooler self cleaning (may do a 10k boost cleaner to finalise, but yet to decide), The throttle body area is CLEAN! & DRY (i pushed my fingers in as far as i could, they were clean, NO PUN PLEASE), So its guaranteed that the inlets over jealous sucking action 'IS' drawing oil from either the sump or rocker (i suspect its drawing up from the sump through the separator, whilst the oil is splashing about in the sump), So the divert is working a treat BUT as some are aware I'm not to happy about it looking like a little welsh train! so some kind of filter has to be added so it can be put back to connect to the inlet. but I'm well pleased with the outcome!, .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

While at work last night i was giving this some thought!, There are quite a few members with a divert & some watching yet to make there minds up!, So I'm now thinking all that's needed is to have the pipe work nearly all original but reduce the sucking pressure from the manifold!, ANY IDEAS FOLKS!, I thought of maybe a reducer in the 15mm breather pipe but i don't know if that would lower the sucking pressure on the other side of the pipe ?, using a larger bore pipe would i think, but don't know if its feasible. . Anyone with suction/vacuum knowledge like to enlighten us please.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I truly think all we need is a very effective oil trap and not a shiny metal can with brass wool one that has a 5 micron element. I have for so long suspected your findings are accurate and as a few others and myself report similar, I think we may have found an effective way to protect inlet throttle and swirl flaps.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi dek, I've been following & commenting on most 'vent to atmos' threads so knew this was the answer but, I think we could do without an oil catch can because!, If like me & I think most others, you are getting nothing out of your atmos vent, it proves that there's To much suction from the inlet SO, Why not reduce this somehow, if we could find out roughly how to do this ie a reducer or such, there would be enough suction to draw the fumes ( about the same as it naturally vents with atmos vent), Therefore there's enough to let it breath but not to much to suck the oil out.(that's what's happening now with atmos vent!). I have no oil coming out of the atmos vent so why cant it be drawn away via the inlet as it was before but slower!. what do you think?, it would be a lot less ugly to look at & would hardly be noticeable if at all. I do believe there's a simple fix to this & using what we already have but manipulating it slightly!, if i vent through some catch can there will be no oil in it as im getting none anyway.
    Last edited by the-wizard; 26th October 2010 at 12:22.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The rubber pipe that exits from the cyclone has a restrictor in it the pipe looks like a 15 or 13mm boew but look inside and you will see that is is solid except for a 6mm or so hole. As such the intake is actively pulling the oil through the cyclone as you have observed so I am not totally sure a second catch tank will do much good unless we can remove the oil from it fully?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I presume you mean the end that goes into the seperator?, ive never had the pipe out so ive left it alone!, i parted it where it joins the metal pipe to the left, if its small'ish then putting a small bore straight nipple in line was the idea i was thinking of.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by the-wizard View Post
    Hi dek, I've been following & commenting on most 'vent to atmos' threads so knew this was the answer but, I think we could do without an oil catch can because!, If like me & I think most others, you are getting nothing out of your atmos vent, it proves that there's To much suction from the inlet SO, Why not reduce this somehow, if we could find out roughly how to do this ie a reducer or such, there would be enough suction to draw the fumes ( about the same as it naturally vents with atmos vent), Therefore there's enough to let it breath but not to much to suck the oil out.(that's what's happening now with atmos vent!). I have no oil coming out of the atmos vent so why cant it be drawn away via the inlet as it was before but slower!. what do you think?, it would be a lot less ugly to look at & would hardly be noticeable if at all. I do believe there's a simple fix to this & using what we already have but manipulating it slightly!, if i vent through some catch can there will be no oil in it as im getting none anyway.
    This was one of the reasons I was banging on about the "strange" breather hose that comes from the airbox.Someone suggested that it was a drain hole but I'm not too sure.It's specifically shaped and so is the hole in the airbox and it connects with an "open" pipe.I first discovered this when I took the airbox out and the mechanic who had taken it out previously,hadn't reconnected it to the airbox but left it connected to the pipe.I came to the conclusion it was some sort of breather hose,and,as such,could we route the outlet line to this?.
    Alternatively,how about,with the catch tank,(for those with them fitted), remove the filter and reduce the outlet size of the pipe?.After all,this would still be not that too far away from the original design idea of the present VX system but might reduce this "sucking" effect.FELIXX.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Having had my 04 from new i can confirm the bottom hose in the air box is a water drain, the inlet into the air box would unfortunately be of no use because there maybe chance oil could be dragged in & get drawn through the filter & maf sensor could eventually be soiled, but this method was common before sensors were fitted, ONE POINT YOU MENTIONED (REDUCING) SIZES IM PLAYING WITH!, also derek mentioned the size of the bore in the separator has set me thinking! the system doesn't need all that suction, so all we need to do is stem/regulate the flow!, it works as proved by venting to atmos has proved, so Everyone get ya thinking caps on!. 1 idea maybe moving the reduced size into the bottom hose 'below' the separator, but it must allow free flow, but as derek as said there is a 6mm ish restrict-or in the separator out flow pipe.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ive thought of an easy way to reduce the sucking! easily & very very cheap! wot a dumb ass, remove the nuts & you have 15mm each side with a flow regulator in the middle.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLUMBING-WATER...item563ff2c224

cheap as chips at plumbers or b&q.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by the-wizard View Post
    Having had my 04 from new i can confirm the bottom hose in the air box is a water drain, the inlet into the air box would unfortunately be of no use because there maybe chance oil could be dragged in & get drawn through the filter & maf sensor could eventually be soiled, but this method was common before sensors were fitted, ONE POINT YOU MENTIONED (REDUCING) SIZES IM PLAYING WITH!, also derek mentioned the size of the bore in the separator has set me thinking! the system doesn't need all that suction, so all we need to do is stem/regulate the flow!, it works as proved by venting to atmos has proved, so Everyone get ya thinking caps on!. 1 idea maybe moving the reduced size into the bottom hose 'below' the separator, but it must allow free flow, but as derek as said there is a 6mm ish restrict-or in the separator out flow pipe.
    If you look at the connection where the pipe that we have "cut" into,goes onto the oil separator,it seems to be a metal connection that is not fixed and moves freely.(At one point,when I was adjusting the pipe angle),it came out of it's fitting completely!!!.This leads me to think that maybe this is a pressure failsafe design so that it would pop out of its seating if the pressure got too high.
    All of this,if it is correct,leads me to wonder what would happen if we just blanked the catch tank up completely.This would then turn the system back to the way it was originally,but with a genuine oil catch tank,as the inlet/outlet pipes are at the top of the tank,and any oil level would show on the indicator.FELIXX.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information