User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Worn injectors 1.9 CDTI SRI 65,000 miles?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Worn injectors 1.9 CDTI SRI 65,000 miles?

Hi All,

I recently had a ticking noise develop from the engine, and after taking it to a mate of mine, he diagnosed that this was coming from 2 of the injectors.
    Now i have not noticed any smoke from the exhaust, no hesitation from the car itself or starting issues, and no loss in power or fuel usage as yet?
    Had a listen through his doctor like stethascope for cars and it was clear these were making an almost metallic tapping noise compared to the other two.

I did however put ULSD fuel in a little while ago by mistake (although you are supposedly meant to be able to use this???) but have read that these can cause the injectors problems? I only put £10 of this in as i was topping up from almost empty for running around over the weekend.

Can anyone confirm this and advise if maybe some fuel injector cleaner may solve the issue of the ticking / tapping.

Alternatively how easy is it to change the injectors? is there timing involved or is it straight forward?

Cheers guys

Dan.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Firstly, you should verify the injectors are at fault using something like Op-Com which can show you the injector calibration, secondly, you will also need the said piece of software etc to replace an injector as you have to program in it's calibration factor to the car.
    You can buy the copper sealing washers from VX, but you may need new fuel pipes as well which can be expensive, a replacement injector is also about £250.

Now, if you do decide to carry out a replacement, it is a good idea to remove all the pipes and hold down bolts from the said injector, then give it a good spraying of penetraiting / releasing spray like SUBMIT, then leave it overnight, should come appart easy after that.

For refitting, you will need a crowsfoot spanner / socket to enable you to torque everything up properly and most important, cover everything in paper towel before you first prime the system as a leak could be very dangerous to your hands / face / eyes. The paper towel will let you spot a leak easily.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

is the noise comeing from the base of the injectors the copper seals do blow past from time to time ...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hard to say really, i had the stethiscope on the top of the injector where the release clip is and its as clear as day.
    Is it worth trying injector cleaner? or should i find a local company to service them.
    Is there any recalibration on the existing ones once serviced?
    Ive heard that injector ticking is normal and means its working as it should, but it should not be this loud surely? hence why i thought i could just need a good flush through with injector cleaner? everything is running as it should. is it imperative to have these replaced?

Thread Information