0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vectra 150 dies on start up :(((

Please help, I have NO idea what to do and I have no clue about cars, it seems to be all happening at once at the moment, only a month ago my mum passed away, so its just adding insult to injury.

So anyway, I started up the Vectra this morning fine (cold morning this morning, dont know if that has anything to do with it), just to move it off the drive so I could get the van off, anyway moved it on to the road and it was fine. Then about half an hour later went to move it back on to the drive, so it was off the road... thats where the problems begin.

The car goes to turn over fine as you turn the key, then as it tries to get the engine running, which it does just about but it then seriously chugs and coughs, and dies. I tried to accelerate to get it out of the chugging and pressing on it makes no difference, nothing happens. Thing is there are no faults shown on the dash or anything but especially on a cold day it does kind of chug when it does start up, but doesn't sound that bad.

Just a few months ago it was in to Vauxhall with what I guess was a similar problem, the car died while I was driving, and went on to limp mode, went to Vauxhall and the 'injector wiring loom' and 'clutch switch' was replaced then, it seemed ok after that.

I've been reading through all the similar posts and the problems seem to relate to either the third injector, EGR valve, inlet manifold and swirl valve but none seem to be identical to what's happened here so I have no idea if its the same.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm seriously losing it with Vauxhalls in general, the amount of problems that I've had with it I have no idea how I'm meant to even GET it to Vauxhall or get it fixed, if it won't start.

Thanks,

Grace

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about your mum.

Mines would cut out and judder but only when driving there was never any issues in starting it. I had almost everything replaced and there were no fault codes. It was only by chance I had it read by Op-Com and it moaned about the Throttle Body Sensor. Looking at your profile yours is registered in 2005 so may be at fault. Have a look at these threads:

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118784

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showth...45#post1338145

But it could something as stupid as the fuel filter.

Gazza4
    Insignia VX-Line Nav CDTI 170.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how baffleing we had the same problem yesterday morning with a 2.0 petrol beetle my nephew run it throught the computer from vw but no problems
    its been put down to bad fuel from sainsburies the night before as with new fuel and a good ragging its running fine again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what colour of smoke is emitted when you fire her up?

when were air / fuel filters last changed?

has egr / boost sensor / maf sensor been cleaned?

i'd clean all above and replace filters as a matter of course

if its firing up ok then is suggests glow plugs are ok.

on very cold mornings i run the glowplugs twice, always a nicer startup ....

I'd normally suspect EGR might be stuck open but with no warning lights it it could be many other things too

one quick way to establish this is to blank your egr with a soft drinks can as a temp measure. if it then works ok its the EGR

if not move on to other ideas

it might help to put a premium fuel in the tank for a couple of tanks to ensure the injectors are cleansed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

take the egr valve out and give it a clean with thinners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone and thank you for your swift responses, really appreciated. I’ve just about had enough of the problems I’ve had with the car… don’t get me wrong when its running well then its very good, but maybe I just got a bad one, as I seem to have been dogged with problems with it.

Well... what happened next – is that we looked at the ‘how 2’ (v helpful on all things ) section regarding the EGR valve as everything seemed to point to that being the most likely thing based on all the information here. My OH went to look under the engine cover, and went to look at where the EGR is, and as he went to lean on it, it kind of ‘clicked’ and so he thought he would try to start it… well poxy thing started up first time and sounded absolutely fine, normal. Typical, grrrr. Anyway I'm guessing it’s more than likely the EGR maybe clicking shut??? And we ran the car for a few minutes just so it wasn’t stopped again and it was fine. I left the car (as I didn’t particularly want it breaking down on the way to work, 55 miles away) till last night as a good friend who is a mechanic is going to clean and replace the EGR for me, and again the car started up fine

Re the questions above, there wasn’t any smoke from the exhaust, maybe a tiny bit but nothing I wouldn’t expect from being tried to start up a few times and burning unburned diesel. When it WAS trying to start up though, if you watched the engine bay (near where the 4 injectors are) there was a tiny bit of clear smoke/steam (?) there but maybe that’s because it was trying to start up?? The air and diesel filters have been changed on the last service too, which was only a couple of months ago. And I don’t think the boost or MAF sensor has been done, as I have no idea what they are, or anything, but I think EGR is the first thing to do, then to look at the other two?? Sorry I don’t understand what you mean re ‘running the glow plugs twice’ do you mean turn the key on once then on again, so the lights come on twice?

Thanks again everyone, really do appreciate the help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
    Hi everyone and thank you for your swift responses, really appreciated. I’ve just about had enough of the problems I’ve had with the car… don’t get me wrong when its running well then its very good, but maybe I just got a bad one, as I seem to have been dogged with problems with it.

Well... what happened next – is that we looked at the ‘how 2’ (v helpful on all things ) section regarding the EGR valve as everything seemed to point to that being the most likely thing based on all the information here. My OH went to look under the engine cover, and went to look at where the EGR is, and as he went to lean on it, it kind of ‘clicked’ and so he thought he would try to start it… well poxy thing started up first time and sounded absolutely fine, normal. Typical, grrrr. Anyway I'm guessing it’s more than likely the EGR maybe clicking shut??? And we ran the car for a few minutes just so it wasn’t stopped again and it was fine. I left the car (as I didn’t particularly want it breaking down on the way to work, 55 miles away) till last night as a good friend who is a mechanic is going to clean and replace the EGR for me, and again the car started up fine

Re the questions above, there wasn’t any smoke from the exhaust, maybe a tiny bit but nothing I wouldn’t expect from being tried to start up a few times and burning unburned diesel. When it WAS trying to start up though, if you watched the engine bay (near where the 4 injectors are) there was a tiny bit of clear smoke/steam (?) there but maybe that’s because it was trying to start up?? The air and diesel filters have been changed on the last service too, which was only a couple of months ago. And I don’t think the boost or MAF sensor has been done, as I have no idea what they are, or anything, but I think EGR is the first thing to do, then to look at the other two?? Sorry I don’t understand what you mean re ‘running the glow plugs twice’ do you mean turn the key on once then on again, so the lights come on twice?

Thanks again everyone, really do appreciate the help
    First of all, sorry to hear about your Mother.

Right, turn the key to the second position and wait for the glow plug light to go out on the dashboard.

Turn key back to "Off" position.

Wait a few seconds and turn key to second position again and wait for glow plug light to go out again then start your engine.

With regards to the "Click" that you heard when your OH leant on something, what he may have done is clicked into place a plug / connector that was loose and not connected properly.

With regard to cleaning the boost pressure sensor, throttle body and EGR valve, they are quite easy if you follow the How2's. I have recently done all 3 myself and I am by no means a mechanic, but if you have a mechanic friend, then would be wise to let him/her do it for you.

HTH and hope your problem doesn't come back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does sound like an EGR leak, running ok for a few seconds on start up until combustion gasses have a chance to find their way through.

Block the silly thing off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like it could do with a good look over by somone who knows these engines & there faults, egr/boost sensor/puffing injector seals, and maybe leaking swirl flaps, somone local to you may read & offer to help.
    sorry about your loss, keep your chin up bud!.

Thread Information