0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default XBox 360 confusion

Wife and I are thinking of getting my nipper an XBox 360 for christmas. However we are rather confused by the plethora of different versions. Just looking at Argos there seems to be

Basic XBox 360 with 250GB
    Basic XBox 360 with 4GB
    XBox 360 Elite
    XBox 360 Arcade

All different prices. I guess that either the Elite or Arcade are the best version followd by the 250 and last the 4GB, but what are the actual differences? I have read that the XBox 360 is not true HD as it does not connect with HDMI. That really confuses me as I thought the difference between an original XBox and and XBox 360 was HD??? Anyone help to decode these mysteries please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the latest slimline xbox360 with the integrated 250gb hard drive is the top model

this affectively replaced the old Elite which had the removeable hard drives in either 120gb or 250gb guises ...the elite/250gb models HAVE HDMI and are full HD

you may also want to consider adding the new Kinetic system to the list to ensure you little lads out of his seat and moving around as you are the controller with this system

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Admin & Server Techy Ian-Highlander's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My company's just bought me an Xbox 360 Slim 250 for reaching 10 years service with the company and apparently that's now the top model. It looks nicer than the old ones and plugs in directly with HDMI and supports up to full HD (1080P), running it on my 40" full HD telly at home and it looks awesome.

Edit: Dez beat me to it lol
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Maptun Tuned 2.0T Estate - click HERE for mods list.
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Now Gone, bring on the Insignia (now "Teapot" Tuned)...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also be aware that if your lad wants to play online with his mates you must subscribe to gold membership. this can be purchased in 1/3/12 month blocks. A 12 month subscription is about £45 soon to be increased to £50 if not all ready. Saying that shop around for slightly cheaper deals, also the xbox 360 dashboard has some good offers available but they are auto renewal, unless you do what i do and cancel your card after purchase

My other car. 1972 1641cc slammed beetle. On the road finally!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new 360s, whether the slim one or the original, connect up with HDMI.

I wouldn't bother with the Arcade as a hard drive is pretty much a must have in my opinion.

You can pick up the 12 month subscription cards on ebay for far less than in the shops. I got mine a couple of months ago for £30 instead of £45.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, we will go for the Slim 250GB, soes not seem to be that expensive. His PS2 has died and while he loves his Wii, as he is getting older there are games only available for XBox or PS3 that he would like. If we hadn't already got blu ray would have gone for the PS3 for the better graphics and power, but as we don't need the console for movies the price of the XBox 360 makes it much more attractive, even if it is on its last legs before replacement. Going by the PS2, games should be still available for the 360 for years after the new XBox v 3 comes out in June.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamLX View Post
    . If we hadn't already got blu ray would have gone for the PS3 for the better graphics and power.
    Well, you say that but most PS3 games are infact only 720p (check the back of the retail box) and rely on your tv to upscale to something similar to HD whereas nearly all Xbox 360 games output in 720p, 1080i, 1080p, some games such as Red Dead Redemption, Kane & Lynch, GTAIV aren't even HD on the PS3..

If going for a kinect aswell try and preorder as there is apparently going to be a shortage due to demand and because Microsoft are spending $500million on it's launch advertising / promotion...

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the kinect a wii style motion controller? Not sure I want to spend too much with the XBox 3D due out in June.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the Kinect you are the controller, no need to hold a wii type controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUsiFjeRWjw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf44bWQr3jc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Willaim, Where did you hear that there is a new xbox being released that supports 3D?? I get on quite well with the UK Xbox PR dept and there's been no official release of any new consoles, Infact Dominic (Microsoft Entertainment Devices UK Manager (ie Xbox360 and Windows 7 phone) sent me the article below.

All 360's from launch in 2005 won't even need a firmware update in order to run 3D games..

Here's the article I was sent

Xbox Exec Sees 3D Gaming as 'Science Experiment'

Posted October 20, 2010

While competitors Sony and Nintendo are jumping into the 3D revolution with both feet forward, Microsoft has adopted a wait-and-see attitude when it comes to the new technology. Microsoft Game Studios’ corporate vice president Phil Spencer is rather skeptical about the current trend, describing the entire thing as “a science experiment.”
    "As an entertainment company, we're trying to do things that millions of people can go enjoy today," Spencer told CNN. "And for better or for worse, people just don't really have TVs in their house right now that are going to do 3-D in a way that's going to work."
    While Spencer admits to liking Nintendo’s 3DS portable, he’s unsurprisingly less enthusiastic about Sony’s 3D push, which spans multiple product lines at the company, including the PlayStation 3, Blu-ray players, and 3D BRAVIA televisions.
    "As a corporate mandate, I don't need to sell you a new TV," said Spencer. "That's not part of my business model. Other companies maybe have that part of their business model. I don't."
    "A bunch of people sitting around the living room wearing $150 glasses -- I'm just not sure that's kind of mainstream today," he said, referring the 3D glasses that are frequently cited as on of the big barriers to mainstream consumer adoption. "Trying to get a bunch of people playing together in a room where not everybody sees the same thing ... is kind of a weird disconnect to me."
    Spencer did explain that Microsoft is not completely unwilling to pursue 3D once it becomes more mainstream. "Clearly, we're not going to ignore 3-D. I think it is something that will play a role in entertainment,” he said.

This is an article I found on a game industry site..

Microsoft: "There's no need to launch a new console"
    A Microsoft senior director has reiterated his company's stance on a 360 successor, saying it has no need to launch a new console.
    "I think it's important to say that the Xbox 360 is the console of the long future for us. There is no need to launch a new console, because we're able to give this console new life either with software upgrades or hardware upgrades like Project Natal," said David Hufford, senior director of Xbox product management.
    "The Xbox 360 was designed for a long life," he added, "and I don't even know if we're at the midpoint yet."
    In response to quizzing on a possible move to more modern chip technology, which would lower manufacturing costs of the console, Hufford said the company was currently content with its pricing.
    "We love our prices right now," he said. "I don't want to say that technology stops, but we believe we have a high quality console, and we stand by that quality with an unprecedented warranty, so we think we're in a good place now heading into the Natal era."
    Following the of Sony's commitment to a dedicated 3D TV Network and confirmation the PlayStation 3 was upgradable to 3D via a firmware update, Hufford also higlighted to Microsoft's own 3D efforts, saying the 360 didn't need an upgrade in order to support 3D games.
    Last edited by Big-Pete; 22nd October 2010 at 12:08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information