Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default DWP How low can you go?

Just need to get this off my chest!!

After a short brave fight with cancer, my uncle passed away in May this year.

Unfortunately, he had always worked so had a few quid in savings, so when he could no longer work (because of his illness), he was not entitled to claim any kind of benefits, despite being very ill with cancer, so he just looked after himself with his savings.

Anyway, around two months before he died, and after many appeals, it was decided that he could claim incapacity benefit.

They, then tell him that he must attend a "suitability for work interview" in order for him to continue claiming......at this point, he was house bound and eating through a straw. The sad thing was that a few days before this arranged interview...he died, which proved his suitability for work.

Anyway, we had a letter from the DWP this week (he died in may) stating that he had actually been OVER-PAID and they want £200 out of his estate, to be refunded to them.

Would I be entitled to tell them where to go??

If I could come face to face with the person that makes these decisions or sends these letters I would probably strangle them with my bare hands.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : Astra Twin Top

Engine : 1.9cdti

Year : 07

It makes you wonder if these ppl have any feelings to be able to write such letters ...as for an answer i have not idea,but I'm sure they will get it back one way or another .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry to hear about your uncle man, Sucks to lose people this way.Did he need more money though? Dont mean to sound unsimpathetic but if he had savings and a short life span they why spend his last days fighting for money he did not need? I know this system says that if a person has x amount of pounds in the bank they do not need help from the tax payer but if your uncle used up his savings then he would get the help he needed. I know it sounds harsh but there has to be a point where they say you can fend for yourself or wee would have people with millions claming benifits.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Saab

Trim : 9-3 Vert

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2000

Firstly my deepest sympathies. Losing anyone is horrid.

Gallag I think your missing the point. To ask for money back after someone has died because of a government **** up is unfair and insensitive.

Plus surely if Bafoo's uncle had been paying tax (he obviously had from the post) then surely he is entilted to something back from it. As opposed to someone who hasnt paid tax at anypoint in their life, but as they have no savings is entilted to cash from the rest of us.

Anyway as mentioned I think your missing the point of teh post!

We had a similar thing with the Italian government. When my Italian Grandfather died they told us that they had over paid his pension and that my grandmother had to pay it back from her pension. It worked out that she would have to be well in to her 100's before she would get any pension at all from the Italian government. The only comment we got from the government was we should be greatful as some people owed a lot more.

Doesnt help but all governments are the same!! A bunch of heartless ......

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

I'd ask for proof of the over payment. Not saying it's the case here, but my mum fell ill under one of the loony left London councils, she had a leg amputated and a series of strokes at St Thomas's hospital, then before they tracked me down (RAF) they shipped her off to a council nursing home, where she was kept virtually comatose, we were fobbed off on the phoneand her credit/debit cards were being used all around the area on stereo systems and stuff she wouldn't know what to do with.
    We finally got her shifted to a private home, where she was much better and knew who she was, then, despite having had her pension bank paid, when she died, the council claimed she owed hundreds in fees. I challeenged them to prove this, as I had the bank statements to prove they'd been paid, and asked about the credit card use, they replied the home had been closed, the staff were no longer available for interview, and a fire had destroyed all the records. Yeah, right.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

one word descibes them fu£$ers absoulute heartless fu£$ers and my deepest sympathy goes out to you

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Refuse to pay and appeal. If their decision comes back the same appeal again and continue to appeal until someone with an ounce of sense gets involved.
    As said ask for their proof of over payment and justification for recovery.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

we had an issue with british gas about 4 months after my mother died they sent a letter to the house (my elder brother was still living there) asking for just over £100...... I called british gas and told them that my mother (a pensioner) had died & there was no estate to make a claim against. they asked for a letter to put on file so they could reference against the debt which I did. never heard from them again :-)

I would tell them there is no estatre to claim against..... I imagine the local press would have a field day with them if they started looking around for that small sum.. (or if the letter some how got into the paper requesting the money)

Thread Information