Thread: Window tinting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Window tinting

Right, got my car booked for next week to get my full windows tinted.
    First thing the guy mencioned was that the legal side of things, that doing front windows is illegal.But they can provide the service.
    My question to u guys, that have them done is:

Did u tinted all windows?
    Did u mencion it to insurance company?
    how dark did u got it?

Basically show your tints!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

IIRC, The front are legal to tint, however they must allow through 70% of natural light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

If you have the front side windows tinted they have to allow a minimum of 70% light through them.

http://www.sctints.co.uk/qas_thelaw.php

"If your front windows are tinted to any level you do risk being stopped by either Traffic Police or VOSA (Vehicle & Operator Services Agency) they have light meters to test the light that passes through your glass. If you have a subtle tint fitted then you should just be asked for it to be removed, if you have dark front door windows you could be told you cant drive your car any further and face a fine and points on your licence! "

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i got limo black round the back and the lightest smoke on the front, i havent mentioned it to my insurance as last time i did they tryed to charge me £60 !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As mentioned above, the law says 70% light must pass through the front windows so a light smoked tint on those will be completely legal. the police will only expect you to remove the tint if it fails the light meter test.

The company doing the tint will be able to advise you on the amount of light that will pass through any particular tint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Also worth noting, If you do not inform your insurance company when purchasing your policy you will have committed the offence of obtaining insurance by making a false declaration, and you might find yourself arrested and taken to a custody suite for interview. It's a bit picky but you might get the Police Officer who's wife has just ran off with the milkman.

Personally tho, i think you should be locked up anyway for liking techo music!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

What they all said above. It would be crazy to flout the law (and they DO insist you remove it at roadside) and risk invalidating your insurance. Keep it legal, the tint company can advise what the limits are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave1701 View Post
    As mentioned above, the law says 70% light must pass through the front windows so a light smoked tint on those will be completely legal. the police will only expect you to remove the tint if it fails the light meter test.

The company doing the tint will be able to advise you on the amount of light that will pass through any particular tint.
    Not the case unfortunately. You're right, 70% of light must be able to pass through, but remember, glass does not let 100% of light through in the first place. On top of this, most vehicles leave the factory with very slight tints on them already I'm afraid. I think from the factory, my old audi let through 75% light from standard going on what the officer told me. Just be careful mate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the ol bill only really cause you a prob if its rediculously dark tints or your driving is terrible i know a few cars with 50% on front windows with no probs from the law
    if you see a police car just lower your windows by half so they can see your face and they should leave you alone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by rochey View Post
    the ol bill only really cause you a prob if its rediculously dark tints or your driving is terrible i know a few cars with 50% on front windows with no probs from the law
    if you see a police car just lower your windows by half so they can see your face and they should leave you alone
    From his user name, when he lowers his 50% tinted windows the less that glorious sounds of techno music will waft towards the police car, and lets just say that I would look out for a nearby safe place to stop the car, for when the blue disco lights and music light up your rear window.

The facts of the matter are the law s quite clear, and the fitters will quite happily tell you what you want to hear, because they will have a disclaimer somewhere that the tints are for show/display purpose only, and it's the driver of the vehicle that is responsible for its roadworthyness, so when you are stopped and found to have illegal tints, it will be you footing the bill.

And trust me, tints are looked out for by traffic bobbies. Especially when, once every so often, they come round on the monthly focus list. As for not declaring them to your insurance, if you are in a smash and it is noted that your windows are illegally tinted, especially if it's a side on collision/swipe or at night, then it's quite probable that your insurance will walk away wiping their hands with a big smile on their faces, as they are desperate to try and save cash these days because of all the claims they have having to pay out to, just look at the price rise of insurance over the past year or so.

.. In short, it's just not worth the risk... but on your own head be it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information