0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2.0DTI EGR Nightmare fix

Had a problem with P0400 Generic EGR fault for about a year now. started with spanner of death light on the dash and car going into limp mode. this happened a few times over a few weeks so checked EGR Valve and cleaned it all OK for a few days till a nice long run to Wales ended in limp mode in torrential rain in the third lane M4.
    So lip bit i relented and got a good 2nd had valve of FleaBay for 80 quid, again all fine for a couple of weeks but the fault returned. Bigger bite of the lip and a lightend pocket but with a nice shiney EGR fitted later i thought the problem was solved.
    Car ran fine but was always hesitant at 60-62 MPH until you guessed it old limpy mode reared its ugly head again.
    Now this is where this site is invaluable as ive heard about the "swirl valves" in the 1.9 but not the 2.0 2.2 dti.

So took the EGR valve out to see how much soot had built up and BINGO a huge piece of carbon came away with it from the inlet manifold which is in two parts, removed the top cover from the manifold and what i can only describe as what looked like a carbon filter inside the manifold with four small holes in it ?????
    Turns out that this filter was a build up of carbon and the small hold were what the inlet "Butterflys" were trying to breath through, It resulted in me carfully chipping away with a screwdriver and a hoover to suck out about 1kg of build up before finding the 8 bolts that hold the manifold on the the block after removing the manifold and steeping it in a bucket of paraffin overnight (There was 1 inch sludge at bottom of bucket).
    Next day with a nice shiney free butterflys a clean manifold and cover back in place the car runs with a power increase of 1000% and MPG up but more importantly no EML spanner. Over a month now and the car runs like new, incidently the dealer did point me in the right direction but quoted near £1000 to do the work.
    Just thought i would give somthing back to the website help someone with similar problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that mate. I am going to do mine when i get some spare time. I took the egr off to clean it & i noticed a lot of carbon build up in there.

No fault codes though & it runs quite well (I only just got it & still getting used to it) but ive looked at the operation of these swirl valves & am ******ed if i can see them move when the engine speed is changed. No vacuum leaks now i changed some dodgy pipes but still no swirl valve movement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well done reestoed!, im sure there will be lots of members taking there car to bits this weekend!, & we can await the response. Glad you sorted! .

Admin & Merchandise Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this the inlet manifold ? Should it have a butterfly ?

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He means the lower half of the inlet manifold mate, they are a version of the swirl flaps that are fitted to the 1.9 150.

To the OP, did you manage to remove the manifold without removing the diesel injector pipes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thought he had a dti

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does and they do

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting confused now lol so the butterfly is in the lower manifold not the one ive posted pic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct, the lower manifold has four butterfly flaps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reesteod View Post
    Had a problem with P0400 Generic EGR fault for about a year now. started with spanner of death light on the dash and car going into limp mode. this happened a few times over a few weeks so checked EGR Valve and cleaned it all OK for a few days till a nice long run to Wales ended in limp mode in torrential rain in the third lane M4.
    So lip bit i relented and got a good 2nd had valve of FleaBay for 80 quid, again all fine for a couple of weeks but the fault returned. Bigger bite of the lip and a lightend pocket but with a nice shiney EGR fitted later i thought the problem was solved.
    Car ran fine but was always hesitant at 60-62 MPH until you guessed it old limpy mode reared its ugly head again.
    Now this is where this site is invaluable as ive heard about the "swirl valves" in the 1.9 but not the 2.0 2.2 dti.

So took the EGR valve out to see how much soot had built up and BINGO a huge piece of carbon came away with it from the inlet manifold which is in two parts, removed the top cover from the manifold and what i can only describe as what looked like a carbon filter inside the manifold with four small holes in it ?????
    Turns out that this filter was a build up of carbon and the small hold were what the inlet "Butterflys" were trying to breath through, It resulted in me carfully chipping away with a screwdriver and a hoover to suck out about 1kg of build up before finding the 8 bolts that hold the manifold on the the block after removing the manifold and steeping it in a bucket of paraffin overnight (There was 1 inch sludge at bottom of bucket).
    Next day with a nice shiney free butterflys a clean manifold and cover back in place the car runs with a power increase of 1000% and MPG up but more importantly no EML spanner. Over a month now and the car runs like new, incidently the dealer did point me in the right direction but quoted near £1000 to do the work.
    Just thought i would give somthing back to the website help someone with similar problem.

Good post mate,well done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information