Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Remapping Pros and Cons

Have read a few threads on here talking about remapping. Not knowing anything about it can anyone tell me the pros and cons for this? Fuel consumption,extra BHP? Also does this affect insurance and road tax? What is the best way to get this done and is it worth it? I have a 1.9CDTI 150. Will the extra horses destroy the already suspect DMF flywheel?
    Is there a system that you can switch on and off? Cost?

cheers

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The remap companies claim you can get both better power and mpg from these remaps. Don't know how true this is. Won't change your tax, but your insurance will go through the roof, and you would be limited to a handful of companies as very few will touch a car that has had a power modification. I looked at this for my last Mondeo as it was only 115bhp and as I tow a caravan, the extra power would have been useful. My current insurer would have cancelled my policy and I was looking at my annual premium going up from around £300 to around £2000. Now I live in N. Ireland, in the rest of the UK you have far more choice of insurance companies, so you prob could do better, but the insurance still will go up a lot. I was advised on here not to remap or box the 1.9 CDTi (150) as it already has a lot of torque and any extra would greatly hasten the demise of the DMF, something I want to avoid as that was what killed my Mondeo TDCi leading to me having to effectively 'downgrade' to a Vectra as they are so much cheaper to buy used than Mondeos of the same age.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If your flywheel is suspect, don't do it, as the extra torque will hasten its demise. Your engine needs to be in good condition for a remap to be a sensible idea.

That said, although you should obviously tell your insurers of any modifications to your car, if someone was unscrupulous and didn't tell their insurers of a remap, it would never ever be detected by the insurance company, not even if the car was a write off and was inspected by the insurer's engineer/loss adjuster. That's because an insurance engineer would never go to the lengths of hooking up to the diagnostic port and trying to identify the parameters of the map.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
    If your flywheel is suspect, don't do it, as the extra torque will hasten its demise. Your engine needs to be in good condition for a remap to be a sensible idea.

That said, although you should obviously tell your insurers of any modifications to your car, if someone was unscrupulous and didn't tell their insurers of a remap, it would never ever be detected by the insurance company, not even if the car was a write off and was inspected by the insurer's engineer/loss adjuster. That's because an insurance engineer would never go to the lengths of hooking up to the diagnostic port and trying to identify the parameters of the map.

I wouldn't bet on that! Insurance companies are really good at finding excuses not to honour their policies, even when you have done nothing wrong. Truth is this would be illegal and TBH when I moved from 115bhp in the Mondeo to 150 in the Vectra for the first few days it seemed great, now I am used to it, I hardly notice the extra power, so I am just not sure remapping would be worth it for anyone who is not intent on foolish driving behaviour.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamLX View Post
    I wouldn't bet on that! Insurance companies are really good at finding excuses not to honour their policies, even when you have done nothing wrong. Truth is this would be illegal and TBH when I moved from 115bhp in the Mondeo to 150 in the Vectra for the first few days it seemed great, now I am used to it, I hardly notice the extra power, so I am just not sure remapping would be worth it for anyone who is not intent on foolish driving behaviour.
    Well William, I'll balance your guesswork about insurance companies against my 8 years as a claims manager. When the insurance engineer goes to see a vehicle that the bodyshop have predicted isn't economical to repair, he has the following priorities: confirm the identity of the vehicle (make sure it's not a clone/ringer), have a cursory look for undeclared modifications to the bodywork, wheels and exhaust, estimate its value by looking at the condition, mileage and trim level, compare that value to the repair quote and then get the vehicle moved to somewhere where it won't incur further storage charges. That's it. No insurance engineer goes equipped with a Tech2 or similar, and they don't even have generic code readers (which can't detect remaps anyway).

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Additionally, I'd say an insurer would need to prove the car is (was) operating outside normal parameters, would it not need to be put on a rolling road to prove it conclusively .. Doubt they would ever do that with a straight car, let alone a smashed up one..

But as william says, to not declare the mod is not entirely legal, a bit fraudulent maybe, so maybe best to always declare the map mod..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for that. I guess the answer is leave well enough alone on this one

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

But so many people have only positives to say. I guess if you continually use the extra power all the time, it will start to break things but driving normally, it will improve fuel economy and there will be that extra power should you wish to use it lol

Regular Member accveccysriturbo's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Switchable maps are my favourite lol.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2007 Vectra

Trim : SRi XP Saphirre Black

Engine : 2.0 16v Turbo

Year : 2007

Mileage : 60k

My thoughts, based on personal experience is that a remap on a diesel is a very cost effective solution to more power in many ways. For starters, the power and performance hike i got from a £500 map on my 1.9 cdti is far bigger hike than i ever got tunning V6 engines in the past... so point one, power per pounds its good value!

On the insurance, it went up about £40 for me, which was mostly admin, i guess 13 years driving, 10NCB and no points help with that?

Fuel economy over last 2500miles now averages 44.5mpg on my driving, before this i was seeing 42.3mpg... so its a marked improvement.

I have had a DMF recently, not sure if its the maps fault entirely? Car had turned 70,000 miles when DMF went, and map went on around 65000miles... who knows? My old cdti hasnt missed a beat in 20,000 miles with same map.

If your sensible im sure theres no issue... i tend to cruise and chill alot really, but will open her up on the odd A road and bypass... its also awesome, and i mean awesome for over taking... such instant mid range power... love it!

My map is the EDS one, its mapped to the sport button, so i can make it more agressive when sport activated, it also has the EGR bypassed which is pretty worthwile? Im also lead to believe that certain settings in the map improve certain engine settings, thus looking after the engine better?

At the end of the day, this car right now suits my life.. what else gives 44.5 mpg, near 200bhp, and 300lb torque... its enough performance to suprise most cars!

just miss the noise of a petrol lump really!

Mike
    Last edited by MCD; 14th October 2010 at 14:02.

Noobtune 220bhp / 270lb - (07) 2.0 turbo SRi XP NAV - PLUS SUNROOF!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information