Thread: oil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default oil

Hi just a quick bit of advice please my wifes August registered Mini has no oil in it she has only done 4k miles what do you think slip up at dealer or do they burn a lot of oil its a 1.6 petrol mini one not very happy as I noticed when she started it up and sounded like a bag of spanners being thrown on the floor all advice welcome (apart from should have got a bla bla)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

If it has NO oil in then DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE. You will need to put the recomended oil in to the max level on the dipstick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Really?? No oil in it at all ?.. Surely a warning light of somesort would have come on long before that could happen wouldnt it.. No oil in it after 4k miles, thats a catastrophic failure of the car.. If thats how it is then the dealer should come and collect it and sort it..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

straight to dealer if it was me.

get them to see how much it takes to fill it.

you can then monitor it from then on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

Doesn't seem right for me either. Brand new car should use not oil what so ever IMO. TBH I wouldn't go back to the dealers and tell them it ran dry, I would fill it to the correct mark and watch it over the next 2000 miles and see if it is using oil. If you have done any damage they will tell you its your fault, its up to you to check the oil regularly, once a month or every 1000 miles would be my recommendation. If it continues to use oil rapidly I would then go back pointing out that you had to add a lt of oil every 1000 miles but though it was just due to it running itself in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thinking I might put some oil in it and take it back and say I have topped it up previously and there must be something wrong, apparently they are very tight when built and do a bit of oil for the first 6k?? do not need to hear its damaged it but want to know why the light does not work the mrs says its never been on I hardly ever drive it so dont know must say she is normally quite good at saying somethings wrong (lol) with the cars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

When you say there is no oil how do you know? Or do you mean the dipstick is not registering any?

I guess it is the later. Just because the dipstick shows nothing doesn;t mean there isn;t any oil at all in there.

Does the low oil pressure light illuminate before crank and go out when engine is running? If this is the case then there is defo oil in there to get some pressure.

I would fill it up to max with the correct oil and see how you go for the next couple of thousand miles. New engines do sometimes use some oil until it all beds in.

All in all a reminder to all of us to check the oil level. Is there supposed to be an oil level sensor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yes the dip stick was dry I only noticed when the mrs started it and I heard the cams rattle went to have another look after a while cams were dry but got wet when run. yes must have oil level sensor well would think so anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    When you say there is no oil how do you know? Or do you mean the dipstick is not registering any?

I guess it is the later. Just because the dipstick shows nothing doesn;t mean there isn;t any oil at all in there.

Does the low oil pressure light illuminate before crank and go out when engine is running? If this is the case then there is defo oil in there to get some pressure.

I would fill it up to max with the correct oil and see how you go for the next couple of thousand miles. New engines do sometimes use some oil until it all beds in.

All in all a reminder to all of us to check the oil level. Is there supposed to be an oil level sensor?
    But whatever you do don't give them anything to bounce the problem back into your lap.I know its so easy to be wise after the event but like it has been already said,it should be a lesson to us all to check our oil regularly.Going back to your problem,I think it takes below about 2lb's of pressure to turn the light on,so if the light or sender isn't faulty,there must be some oil in there somewhere.You just need to be certain that there hasn't been any major damage caused.IMO,I honestly don't think that the engine should have used that much oil in such a short length of time without you being aware of it,(blue smoke),lots of it if its been burning it,or a major oil leak,etc,etc.Best of luck with it anyway.FELIXX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Even if there is no oil registering on the dipstick, don't wait for the oil light to come on, at this point an engine is in real danger of seizing. If there is no oil on the dipstick, it needs topped m8, that's why there is a min and max level marked on it.

Hope you get it sorted.

Gazza4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information