User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Diesel reek on acceleration

  1. #1
    Regular Member Derek Mc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sodding Typical on Sea
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default Diesel reek on acceleration

    One of the main reasons I decided to let my clocked Vectra go is that I get a lot of diesel reek out the back when I accelerate, not intermittently but every time I accelerate.
    I got the wife to follow me home after the dealer checked out the Turbo (which I am told is perfect) and she noted that on the motorway slip road and any other medium to hard acceleration I got a cloud of grey or black(ish) smoke.

    Does anyone know what this could be from?

  2. #2
    Regular Member felixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    stockport
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Mc View Post
    One of the main reasons I decided to let my clocked Vectra go is that I get a lot of diesel reek out the back when I accelerate, not intermittently but every time I accelerate.
    I got the wife to follow me home after the dealer checked out the Turbo (which I am told is perfect) and she noted that on the motorway slip road and any other medium to hard acceleration I got a cloud of grey or black(ish) smoke.

    Does anyone know what this could be from?
    Hi Derek.Sounds like it was over fueling.You usually get that sort of smoke when the engine is under load or when you have a tuning box fitted.FELIXX.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Derek Mc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sodding Typical on Sea
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    No tuning box fitted a standard car as best I can tell it used to mean to me a well worn engine, but this one has only 55K on it

  4. #4
    Regular Member felixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    stockport
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Mc View Post
    No tuning box fitted a standard car as best I can tell it used to mean to me a well worn engine, but this one has only 55K on it
    What comes out when its been standing for a while?,if its burning oil it could be seeping back into the cylinders through the valve guides.
    This will show on start up as a great big cloud of blue smoke as it burns the oil in the cylinders.If it doesn't clear and start running normal but continues to puff out blue smoke it could be that the oil rings are f****d.If you have any doubts whatsoever,get a compression test done.That way you will know one way or the other.FELIXX.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Derek Mc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sodding Typical on Sea
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by felixx View Post
    What comes out when its been standing for a while?,if its burning oil it could be seeping back into the cylinders through the valve guides.
    This will show on start up as a great big cloud of blue smoke as it burns the oil in the cylinders.If it doesn't clear and start running normal but continues to puff out blue smoke it could be that the oil rings are f****d.If you have any doubts whatsoever,get a compression test done.That way you will know one way or the other.FELIXX.

    Not blue smoke its dark grey or blackish and is visible enough that with my back to the sun on the slip road I could clearly see it myself driving the car so is well outside normal tolerance I would say.

    But Felixx, this particular car is going back tomorrow so isn't a long term worry just wanting to know if this sort of thing is to be expected as I don't think it is.

  6. #6
    Regular Member felixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    stockport
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Mc View Post
    Not blue smoke its dark grey or blackish and is visible enough that with my back to the sun on the slip road I could clearly see it myself driving the car so is well outside normal tolerance I would say.

    But Felixx, this particular car is going back tomorrow so isn't a long term worry just wanting to know if this sort of thing is to be expected as I don't think it is.
    Sorry Derek,I thought you were concerned about the new one you are obviously getting.(I thought you had picked it up already).FELIXX.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Derek Mc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sodding Typical on Sea
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Nah tis the old one, I seriously swithered over keeping it but wondered about the reek as it was a bit odd???

  8. #8
    Regular Member Grumpy1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Newport (Shropshire)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Ford Kuga

    Trim : Titanium

    Engine : 2.0dtci

    Year : 2014

    Mileage : 1200

    Default

    Sounds like overfuelling, for whatever reason.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Telly Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fife
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : BMW e92 335d

    Trim : M Sport

    Engine : 3.0 TT

    Year : 2008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy1954 View Post
    Sounds like overfuelling, for whatever reason.
    Yep classic overfuelling symptoms (on a standard motor). Black/dark smoke from diesel on accelaration.

    Usually the car's way of saying it needs some tlc. Fuel filter, dirty injectors, manky inlet, etc. Usually pretty easy to put right.

  10. #10
    On a Sabbatical
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    EVERYWHERE
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Grey smoke is usually caused by injection/injector problems.

    Black smoke is overfuelling.

    Blue smoke is burning engine oil.

    White smoke is coolant issue or condensation from exhaust.

    You can also have a combination of any or all of the above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Acceleration help please
    By mdibb2009 in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1st July 2011, 23:02
  2. HELP! No Acceleration
    By Aidi in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 4th April 2011, 14:52
  3. Diesel reek!
    By paul_sri150 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21st December 2010, 20:15
  4. Dip in acceleration...
    By Stevie-B in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23rd April 2008, 15:03
  5. 3.2 Acceleration
    By jamesr in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th March 2008, 13:23

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •