0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question NSF brake squeal and poss bind

Ok, so referring to last Friday when i got my car back from a mechanic who did some work on it for me I need to resolve the NSF brake issue he has left me with.

When i turn to the right I get a scraping noise, not a continual one but as if the pad just catches one part of the disk. This only happens when the weight is on the car, when it is jacked up this does not happen.

The mechanic had the car to do some work for me was replacing both track rod ends. He had nothing else to do on the front or the running gear.

The disks are only two weeks old and the pads are new as well and only been on there a week. I taken the caliper off and cannot see any issues or debris, the pad looks fine but the disk is scored, it has a score all the way round about a mm wide, this is about 1cm in from the centre of the disk. The disk is a drilled and grooved one. Its an Mtec and i have used these before and am not putting that into question.

What i need are some ideas of what could be causing this and what remedies could i try to resolve it. I have considered swapping disks from left to right etc and see whether that would sort it but was looking for a other options before I embark on that. Any ideas?
    My old Signum, the animal; she now rests in pieces in several other members cars.. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=200
    The wifes vec show car, started as a standard daily driver and ended up like this. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=709

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its not the protective cover (sorry can't think whats its called LOL) that covers the back of the disc,

Had mine straighed out on the wifes Zaffy as they scrapped going round a left corner, going the over way they were OK,

Sounds like he may of bent one changing the track rod ends ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

i know the things you mean, my car does not have full dust shields behind the disks, don't think it is supposed to. However, that did get me thinking, I had spent all my time on the outside of the disk, i had not considered it could be something like that on the inner side. So i have just been out and had a touchy feely behind the disk for possible contact areas. I became suspicious of something so jacked up the NSF to take a closer look. I could tap on part of it and it would hit the disk, when tapping the other part (circled in red in pic) there was no sound meaning it was already in contact with the disk. So I lined up one of the holes in the disk and used a flat blade screw driver and levered this piece away from the disk. dropped the car back down off the jack and went for a spin, no more grinding/scraping sound.. I guess the guy had somehow pushed up against it while doing the track rod end.

Thanks for making me look somewhere else, i was concentrating too much on where the disk had become scored by some debris..

My old Signum, the animal; she now rests in pieces in several other members cars.. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=200
    The wifes vec show car, started as a standard daily driver and ended up like this. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=709

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could well be while he was doing the track rod ends he's knocked the cover in a bit and its rubbing. I had this on my last car, for weeks I couldn't see the problem until I pulled the splash guard out a bit and that solved my problem too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman_nige View Post
    i know the things you mean, my car does not have full dust shields behind the disks, don't think it is supposed to. However, that did get me thinking, I had spent all my time on the outside of the disk, i had not considered it could be something like that on the inner side. So i have just been out and had a touchy feely behind the disk for possible contact areas. I became suspicious of something so jacked up the NSF to take a closer look. I could tap on part of it and it would hit the disk, when tapping the other part (circled in red in pic) there was no sound meaning it was already in contact with the disk. So I lined up one of the holes in the disk and used a flat blade screw driver and levered this piece away from the disk. dropped the car back down off the jack and went for a spin, no more grinding/scraping sound.. I guess the guy had somehow pushed up against it while doing the track rod end.

Thanks for making me look somewhere else, i was concentrating too much on where the disk had become scored by some debris..

Glad it was a help ;-) funny how someone elses fault can help fix another

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your not wrong... thanks again

Hampshire (Near Havant) . .Drives: Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)