Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Vectra vs Insignia for me.

OK as you know I am changing the Vectra due to the car being clocked etc etc.

So I was immediately on the hunt for another SRi CDTi 150, but noticed that just scraping in to my budget is the Insignia SRi 1.8 petrol, this had got me really thinking and debating with myself as I do like the Insignia from all the ones I have hired. now to be frank I cannot afford the CDTi so it would be a 1.8 petrol and I wondered about the comparative economy.

Well imagine my delight on Friday when I arrived at Stansted about 8am from Glasgow and Europcar gave me,,,,Yip a 430 mile old Insignia 1.8 SRi

I then left stansted for a "short trip" down to Dover and back. I reset the trip economy and drove the car in the exact same style as the Vectra, not thrashing it but not Ecowarrior either.
    Roads were great no hold up's either way the Insignia is a lovely place to be I have to say, but,,,,,,, something isn't quite "yet" for me it's nice, I mean lovely, but it didn't feel as right for me now as the Vectra, I adore my Vectra but didn't think I would after this, the seats are better, the dash is so major league modern, the handbrake annoyed me as does the Passat's, the controls are nice, the instruments great but that rear visibility! with a bum like J'lo this car needs decent reverse viewing or camera & sensor's.

Economy? I was gutted as down the M2 I had sat at 76mph (tom tom satnav) and on the M25 M11 I drove due to varying speeds road works and congestion, I even came back up the A20, Blackwall A406 M11 for variety, and managed,,,,,, 34.2mpg Not bad but the Vectra would be 20mpg ahead over the same running.

Given the economy, and the way I feel about the car itself and the Vectra, it is another Vectra for me right now, in a couple of years then an Insignia CDTi SRi will be a no-brainer.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

I would have been concerned that the 1.8 would be too small an engine for the size and weight of the Insignia. The salesman at the Dealer I had my Vectra from had a 2.0CDTI as a run around, he commented it wasn't as quick as the 1.9 CDTI in the Vec.
    How did you find the oomph in the 1.8? One thing being able to hold motorway speeds, another to feel the power "adequate"

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have to admit the 1.8 is no ball of fire and on the m'way mexican wave, rebuilding speed could be described as challenging, where the diesel does lunge forward more convincingly.

But, all said, I would have made the move if the overall package felt better to me than the Vectra.

Let me try and paint a picture of what I feel,

Back in the early 80's I owned a succession of American Muscle cars, one was a 1967 Mustang with a 302 not the 427 as in the Bullet car, but I tell you that wee engine was a real peach and the car had the heart of a Lion and could kill much faster and more sophisticated cars, my Vectra truly reminds me of that as it is such a "willing" partner and I love that.
    The Insignia reminds me of the car that replaced the "stang" a 1980 Granada 2.8i Ghia X pack, it was fast, but made me feel remote from the action even though it had so much more luxury, and elegance (in those days) I pined for the Mustang for months!
    If I bought an Insignia I would dearly miss the big hearted Vectra

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The 1.8 is too small for the car. It's fine in the missus Astra but the Insignia is a fair old chunk of metal to push round. The rear visibility I don't see as an issue at all. You soon get used to where the rear of the car is and where to check before reversing.

I do agree on the handbrake though. Fine on small inclines but on steep hills you need to rag the ****** off the engine before the electronics deem it safe to move. I'd much rather have a normal handbrake but that's about the only thing that I'd swap from my old XP2. Well that and the front end. lol
    Last edited by Stevel; 10th October 2010 at 12:41.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

agree no power to shift big car.

Thread Information