Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Daylight Running Lights

Hi guys,
    Just been playing with my opcom after resolving some fault code issues, and noticed there were 4 settings for DRL's. I set the ECU to run setting number 4 (fogs lit with engine running and no rear lights) Looks brilliant, the vectra looks like its grown some nuts

Anyway, been googling but I keep finding contradicting arguments over the legallity of using fogs as DRL's..... so does anyone know for sure if it is ok to use them in the UK (I have seen some new Mercs using fogs alone, BMW seem to use the indicators and obviously Volvo's use their usual side/headlights)

Thanks John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyallen View Post
    Hi guys,
    Just been playing with my opcom after resolving some fault code issues, and noticed there were 4 settings for DRL's. I set the ECU to run setting number 4 (fogs lit with engine running and no rear lights) Looks brilliant, the vectra looks like its grown some nuts

Anyway, been googling but I keep finding contradicting arguments over the legallity of using fogs as DRL's..... so does anyone know for sure if it is ok to use them in the UK (I have seen some new Mercs using fogs alone, BMW seem to use the indicators and obviously Volvo's use their usual side/headlights)

Thanks John
    One time I got warned off the Rozzers (Got let off though cos I knew him! lol) I was reminded that it is illegal to use fog lights at any time other than when fog has reduced visibility to 100 metres or less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just had another quick look and tinker, when the fogs are lit as DRL's they are dimmed quite alot compared to when the fogs are actually lit on fog setting (really bright)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyallen View Post
    Just had another quick look and tinker, when the fogs are lit as DRL's they are dimmed quite alot compared to when the fogs are actually lit on fog setting (really bright)
    Got any pics?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think it's more the angle of the light shining in people's eyes rather than the brightness that is the problem.

I'm sure that you are already aware that, the reason for fog lights being effective is that, they point upwards as opposed to your main beam that shine downwards.

Hampshire (Near Havant) . .Drives: Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Year : 2005

Quote Originally Posted by RichyA View Post
    I think it's more the angle of the light shining in people's eyes rather than the brightness that is the problem.

I'm sure that you are already aware that, the reason for fog lights being effective is that, they point upwards as opposed to your main beam that shine downwards.
    Thats the wrong way round lol.

Main beam point more straight out so illuminating further down the road, And fogs light up close to the car pointing more down.

Hampshire (Near Havant) . .Drives: Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Year : 2005

What are the other 3 options and where is the DRL settings?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I wouldn't be surprised if the police warned you off them or fine you as regardless of their output it's still the fogs that ate lit when it's not foggy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I stand corrected Lee. That was what I was always told.

Official wording from Wikipedia: -

Front fog lamps

Front fog lamps provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low.[10][11][12] They may be either white or selective yellow. They are intended for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to rain, fog, dust or snow. As such, they are often most effectively used in place of dipped-beam headlamps, reducing the glareback from fog or falling snow, although the legality varies by jurisdiction of using front fog lamps without low beam headlamps.

Use of the front fog lamps when visibility is not seriously reduced is often prohibited (for example in the United Kingdom), as they can cause increased glare to other drivers, particularly in wet pavement conditions, as well as harming the driver's own vision due to excessive foreground illumination.[13]

The respective purposes of front fog lamps and driving lamps are often confused, due in part to the misconception that fog lamps are necessarily selective yellow, while any auxiliary lamp that makes white light is a driving lamp. Automakers and aftermarket parts and accessories suppliers frequently refer interchangeably to "fog lamps" and "driving lamps" (or "fog/driving lamps"). In most countries, weather conditions rarely necessitate the use of fog lamps, and there is no legal requirement for them, so their primary purpose is frequently cosmetic. They are often available as optional extras or only on higher trim levels of many cars. Studies have shown that in North America more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Setting 1 was fogs and rear lights, setting 2 rear lights only, setting 3 indicators (i think) and setting 4 just front fogs. I'll take a pic in a mo and show ya, no laughing at my filthy car though!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information