Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Vectra 1.8 SXi third petrol pump in 7 months

Hi,
    Iím after some advice.
    I have a vectra 1.8 SXi with factory LPG conversation. Since I bought it last year Iíve had numerous problems first with the engine management lamp and recently with the petrol pump. Iíve had it replaced under warranty beginning of February once, then mid April for second time and this morning after failing to start I was told that it is again the petrol pump(inside the petrol tank). Now, you are going to ask why I need petrol when the car works on gas? It is set to start on petrol and after 30sec-2min switches back to gas. Anyway the first two times the pump was replaced under warranty but today I had a call saying that because the pump was damaged by contaminated fuel it wont be covered by the warranty. Apparently there was some green residue at the bottom with a very strong smell of paint which was the cause of blocking the pump and subsequently everything seized up. The last time the fuel tank was touched was in april when I had new pump fitted. Funnily enough the tank was full and when I got the car back it had less than ľ left. Somebody forgot to put the extra fuel back (I was happy it was covered under warranty so I didnít make a fuss and just refilled it back to full later that day). Now on top of the bill for the new petrol pump they will need to replace the petrol tank which brings the total to around £740. After the shock passed I got myself together and called the warranty people to ask them is this normal to have 3 fuel pumps gone in 7 months. After explaining that I havenít even put any petrol since april and Iíve been driving the car on LPG since then (have used only about 10ltrs) they told me that they wouldnít know If I was telling the truth (itís common sense that if you can pay 41 ppl instead of 95 ppl you will go with the cheaper option). At the end they agreed to send an engineer tomorrow to check the car and tell me if the will cover the cost.

I donít know what to do. I know that they will have to pay for it but I donít how to deal with the garage. Has anyone experienced any problems with the fuel pumps or is it a specific problem for the LPG owners. Please help with some advice as Ií running out of options and I donít have £740 at the moment to pay for the mistake of a Vauxhall engineers.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if the part that has been fitted in the past is a genuine part from VX, then it comes with a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty.. to have 3 pumps in this time is unheard of!!!

remind them of the warranty cover on the parts and see what they do.. if you have added no fuel to it recently you should have no worries..have they identified the substance in the bottom of the tank??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi,
    Thanks for the response. I thought so regarding the vx parts. I did ask them about the 12 months warranty and they mumbled something like ďWell, will get you some money off the pump but you will need new tank nowĒ. I did pay last year £680 for premium extended warranty and until today everything has been covered. They said that somebody has put paint into my petrol tank..., and the unleaded looked like it has been there for 20 years (very confusing).
    I personally think that the garage screwed up and donít want to pay for the new pump. They are trying to get the money of the warranty company but they wonít have it as it will third time paying for the same job and as we all know they are a bit tight. Iím considering going tomorrow to citizenís advice to see what my options are before getting it done.
    Shall i have it repaired in different garage or shall i leave the car with them? I'm worried that with this rate by christmas i will be buying another pump and petrol tank.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the pump will be replaced FOC by vauxhall, if it was a geniune part...

they will also want to fit it to ensure that it's done properly..

why do they want a new tank?? they should just be able to clean it out..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I hope that they will replace the pump. they kept saying that it was caused by contaminated fuel which invalidates the warranty. (quoted exactly like the book says which seemed a bit to exact). don't know about the tank. apparently it is unusable. don't think they'll pay. will find out tomorrow or thursday. by the way it is weymouth's branch, if you need some work bare it in mind.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

well, i'd be interested if they couldn't tell you why the tank can't be cleaned out and re-used... or have they damaged it getting the 2nd ( current) pump out?? there is no need to change tanks unless it's corroded or damaged..

i'd try a different dealer to see if you get a different response from them..sounds to iffy to me..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Today I went to the garage to take sample from the fuel and to pick up the damaged fuel pump. Iíve taken a photo from the petrol tank compartment. It looks very cloudy and it definitely there is some dirt at the bottom which I think has caused the problem. My theory is that they never actually cleaned the tank before replacing the pump. If this is not the case I really donít know where all this **** would come from. Any ideas?

I spoke today with Vauxhall customer services and I was assured that I will get a call either today or tomorrow at the latest. Well today has gone and no attempt has been made to get in touch with me, maybe tomorrow who knows.
    I got estimate too from the vx dealership for £781. Iíve decided to get a quote from my local trustworthy garage too and was told they wonít change the tank just flush it which straight away will cut the cost with £400. Tomorrow will find out how much they will charge me but Iím sure it will be much less than the vx garage.
    Iím running out of options and Iím 90% sure that I wonít get it done for free.
    Iíve decided to get it done in the local garage and then Iím sorry to say that the car has to go.
    Shame about the 16 moths warranty left, hopefully will manage to get it transfer to the new owner, unless there is some small print which will prevent me of doing so.
    Anyone wants to buy LPG Vectra? )

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi, Iíve got some new updates.
    I asked the garage to file a claim with the warranty company and they promised that they will do it on Wednesday. As usual nobody called me since, however after phoning the warranty company yesterday I discovered that the garage has told them that the tank lining has been melted (or dissolved) and it has caused the pump to seize up. The warranty doesnít cover the tanks so I couldnít claim for it.
    Does anyone know if it is possible the lining of the tank to melt or dissolve, seems a bit weird to me and i've never heard anything like this before.
    It seems that the garage didnít want the warranty engineers on site so they decided to give them the new diagnose which straight away gets them out of this case. Iím a bit confused how they discovered that the lining was dissolved when the tank hasnít been emptied.
    Please tell me if Iím too paranoid or are they really trying to trick me.
    Iím considering sending a letter to Vauxhallís senior management and asking them if the garage is dealing the right way. I want to point that I donít have anything against the guys working there it is just every time I have something done there I have to go back again with the same problem (four times for engine management light problem, three times fuel pump, twice steering rack).
    I would really appreciate your comments. Thanks

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

a lined plastic tank...never heard of that one???

gonna get Gary3306 involved on this too as he's in the trade..

why line a plastic tank?? no benefit!! sounds like a real fishy one to me..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As above. At the end of the day, if you have a warranty, then you have a warranty. If they still haven't fixed the problem, you don't owe theme anything, start making noises to management, warranty companies etc.

It really sounds like they're trying to fob you off.

Try another dealer. Nothing pleases a mechanic more than going over someone elses work and picking holes in it!

Hope you get sorted out soon mate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information