Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Urgent help needed please

Hi i have a major problem i need help with as you all know i have a on going problem with my car starting and on the 6th time of it being in the garage they have put a button on my dash to switch on the glow plugs the car now starts great but when i start it the spanner comes on for about 2-3 mins then goes off again the garage said its just the car doing a re test and it not got a problem.

After them looking at the work they have did i now have a wire with 2 bulbs on it wired to my realy and my battery IS THIS SAFE

The garage are not intrested anymore as they said they have fixed it and it starts shout i be happy with this or should i take it further.

Thanks all this is stressing me out
    Last edited by daddy07; 28th September 2010 at 21:00.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Can you explain this section more clearly please:

"i now have a wife wife 2 bulbs on it wired to my realy and my battery IS THIS SAFE "

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

[QUOTE=Jezzy;1335286]Can you explain this section more clearly please:

"i now have a wife wife 2 bulbs on it wired to my realy and my battery IS THIS SAFE "[/QU

Sorry i ment a wire with two bulbs on it going from my relay to my battery they have been hidden under my battery cover out the way

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry to hear you are still having problems with this. I really don't know what I'd do in your situation but there is no problem with the Vectra diesel pre-heat system if all of the parts are working properly. Also, if the car and spanner light is coming on then the car is not happy about something - the fault code can be read and this will help a good garage pinpoint the problem which may be to do with a fault in the proper pre-heat system or with the additions that have been made to it. Did the light come on originally when the car was difficult to start or has it started coming on only since the garage have been working on it?

Perhaps a call to consumer direct (or the Scottish equivalent) or any trade bodies the garage belongs to might be worth a try?

I would be tempted to offer my wallet to the nearest competent garage to take out what the previous garage have put in and get the faults with the proper pre-heat system sorted out so that I knew it was working properly and safely, and as Vauxhall intended it to. If the garage who put this work-around in couldn't fix the problem with the pre-heat system then I would personally be a bit dubious about the workaround they have put in.

Can you post some pictures of the additions that have been made to your car as it may help people in advising you about it?
    Last edited by James24; 28th September 2010 at 22:24.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 150

Year : 05

Mileage : 74000

Sounds like they couldnt get to the bottom of it and bodged in a manual glowplug preheat switch.... very bad IMO... need to get it sorted properly
    Plasma's Tech2 services are now partially open and able to provide services

Come Join our new forum Insignia Owners.com for all your Insignia chat and needs

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As above just sounds like a total bodge job, i would be telling the garage to remove what ever they have done & reimburse... then find a new garage

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

It also sounds to me as if they have simply wired a new wire to the glow plug wire connection post. The push button operates the relay which supplies power to all the glow plugs. As glow plug shouldn't just operate as ON or OFF from a manual switch, I would be seriously unhappy with what they have done and tell them that you are dissatisfied with the solution they have provided. I would do this in writing.

I would also give them the opportunity to rectify the problem of poor starting to your satisfaction, else you will go through the trading standards / legal remedy route.

It is not acceptable to do what they have done (please confirm if what I think they have done is the reality).

The haven't solved the actual problem of automative glow plug control, but have cured the symptom. this is not acceptable, professional, competant, and could be dangerous if the button or relay ever became stuck on.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    It also sounds to me as if they have simply wired a new wire to the glow plug wire connection post. The push button operates the relay which supplies power to all the glow plugs. As glow plug shouldn't just operate as ON or OFF from a manual switch, I would be seriously unhappy with what they have done and tell them that you are dissatisfied with the solution they have provided. I would do this in writing.

I would also give them the opportunity to rectify the problem of poor starting to your satisfaction, else you will go through the trading standards / legal remedy route.

It is not acceptable to do what they have done (please confirm if what I think they have done is the reality).

The haven't solved the actual problem of automative glow plug control, but have cured the symptom. this is not acceptable, professional, competant, and could be dangerous if the button or relay ever became stuck on.
    You are 100 per cent right i am in the middle of dealing with trading standers and the finance company the only person that is helping is the trading standers finance company and the garage said that they dont care the car is running and i wanted the button put in

The garage also said that there has never been a problem with it starting and that they just put the button in to keep me happy.

since the garage have did this my mpg has droped and the car stinks?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by daddy07 View Post
    the garage have did this my mpg has droped and the car stinks?
    That may be because something is getting hotter than it should be - either some part of the engine (such as the the combustion chambers / fuel air mixture) because the car can no longer control it's own pre-heating system, or from the extra wiring and other stuff that has been put in by the garage for the manual re-heating system. This may be related to the car & spanner warning light.

What does it smell like, where is it coming from, and when can you smell it?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by James24 View Post
    That may be because something is getting hotter than it should be - either some part of the engine (such as the the combustion chambers / fuel air mixture) because the car can no longer control it's own pre-heating system, or from the extra wiring and other stuff that has been put in by the garage for the manual re-heating system. This may be related to the car & spanner warning light.

What does it smell like, where is it coming from, and when can you smell it?
    After i have been driving it when i get out it smells smokey no smell of fuel but its like an old thick smell like an old tractor.

sorry hard to explain comes from the exhaust area

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information