Thread: please help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default please help

hello to you all i am new to this site and i was hoping to start on this forum with out asking for help but i cant.i have recenty bought a vectra 1.9cdti 04 plate i have never owned a desil befor and apart from the noise its ok untill ok i called out the AA as it was playing up and they said the egr valve was nakered so i have put this into vauxhalls and they have just phoned me and said i need new glow plugs and a glow plug realy as well ???? can i get away with doing this and paying the £492 bill i have only owned this car for 1month i feel robed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Mate, welcome to the forum. Even if your car does need new glowpugs and relay, there's no reason why you have to use a Vauxhall dealer - a cheaper independent garage could do the job as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

but the problem is its in vauxhalls at the moment and the guy said he has done the erg valve and the other things need to be done or the car will not start also he said if i dont get it all done they will charge me £120 just for diagnostic costs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i have ever owned a petrol just sold my zafira gsi turbo to buy this and i am gutted i wish i hadnt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by tomo666 View Post
    i have ever owned a petrol just sold my zafira gsi turbo to buy this and i am gutted i wish i hadnt
    sorry for the bad spelling drowning my sorrorys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I take it you've bought your car privately? If not, I would be taking it back to where you bought it from, presuming you got a short warranty from the garage.

The EGR could be changed by yourself following the how2 for cleaning EGR as you have to remove it to clean it. Only draw back is the newer EGR valves require updated ECU software for it to work correctly.

As for the glow plugs, basically as Jezzy says, get prices from other local garages for doing the work.

What you've basically got to weigh up is... if you take your car out of the Vauxhall garage and to another, you will have to pay £120 to Vauxhall and therefore get your car fixed for less than £372 elsewhere to save money so it may work out cheaper to bite the bullet and get it done at Vauxhall.

Ring round a few garages first and see what prices they come back with.

HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

What exactly did you ask them to do when you took it in? If the EGR valve was no good, and you told them to verify this and change it, how can they then charge a diagnostic fee if they changed the valve anyway?

It would be useful to understand what was agreed between you. Just because they say you need additional parts doesn't mean you have to actually change them. It should start without glow plugs, but will take much longer. It is only when it gets properly cold that it won't start without them.

£120 for diagnostic checks seems very high to me. What have they actually done? If they have just used the Tech 2 diagnostic machine, then they are extremely expensive.

It sounds to me like they are trying it on.

Thread Information