User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: swirl valves

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    south northamptonshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default swirl valves

    i checked mine today and relised that there was a tiny piece of oil around one of them is there anything to worry about as i know there are some problems with them. btw its a veccy c 1.9cdti 150bhp. cheers

  2. #2
    Regular Member mozzer99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    bristol
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridge_eee View Post
    i checked mine today and relised that there was a tiny piece of oil around one of them is there anything to worry about as i know there are some problems with them. btw its a veccy c 1.9cdti 150bhp. cheers
    There should be no liquid oil. However as they wear turbo pressure + egr gasses escape around the spindles and oily sooty black deposits form around them. It is this sooty deposit that eventually jams the swirl flaps - later type manifolds are modified to try to stop this jamming.


    In really bad cases the underside of the engine cover (Vauxhall call it the 'beauty' cover) can be covered in soot.

    As there are no seals for the swirl flap spindles, as they wear (plastic rotating in an aluminium hole) some leakage is normal.

    IMHO a 'tiny piece' of black soot is normal after a fair few miles and nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by mozzer99; 26th September 2010 at 08:18. Reason: add pic

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    south northamptonshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ok lovely cheers its clean all over apart from that tiny little bit of oily substance. il keep an eye on them cheers for putting my mind at ease.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Anybody as removed the swirl flaps? If yes, there is a significant difference?

  5. #5
    Full Member GazVXLINE170's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pedroamg View Post
    Anybody as removed the swirl flaps? If yes, there is a significant difference?
    It would increase smoke levels low down but probably increase response. Their purpose is to make sure combustion is complete ie all available oxygen is burned eliminating excess soot and NOx emissions.

    Personally I think when the manifolds were updated - it was an opportunity for Vauxhall to remove them but they didn't.

    Gazza4
    Insignia VX-Line Nav CDTI 170.

  6. #6
    Regular Member jimbojetset's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Stoke on Trent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mozzer99 View Post

    In really bad cases the underside of the engine cover (Vauxhall call it the 'beauty' cover) can be covered in soot.
    This is just what one of my swirl valves looks like.. the other three aren't as bad (but have lifted)... the top of my inlet manifold is really filthy and the underside of my engine cover is starting to take a hit... it goes in tomorrow for a new inlet manifold.. ..

    I also had a look at my EGR yesterday and although sooty is wasn't blocked at all nor anywhere near as bad as I feared... however a quick look inside the manifold where the EGR bolts onto was completely solidly blocked with a black sooty deposit... so effectively my EGR was completely blocked off...

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza4 View Post
    It would increase smoke levels low down but probably increase response. Their purpose is to make sure combustion is complete ie all available oxygen is burned eliminating excess soot and NOx emissions.

    Personally I think when the manifolds were updated - it was an opportunity for Vauxhall to remove them but they didn't.

    Gazza4
    I had made some modifications to my manifold and the flaps are working, but there is a bit of dirt at the top of the inlet manifold, and i'm afraid these flaps could break after a couple of years. Because of that i'm thinking to remove the flaps and seal the holes. it's more cheap, and clean

  8. #8
    Full Member GazVXLINE170's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pedroamg View Post
    I had made some modifications to my manifold and the flaps are working, but there is a bit of dirt at the top of the inlet manifold, and i'm afraid these flaps could break after a couple of years. Because of that i'm thinking to remove the flaps and seal the holes. it's more cheap, and clean
    I had the manifold replaced and I've got dirt there too.

    Gazza4
    Insignia VX-Line Nav CDTI 170.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    preston
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    by blocking the swirls out then in essence you'll have a cdti 120

    is that what you want??

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mparks8590 View Post
    by blocking the swirls out then in essence you'll have a cdti 120

    is that what you want??
    i'm thinking to remove the flaps, and seal the top of the manifold. the holes to the engine stay open forever. it's like having the flaps always at the open position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Swirl valves on an '08
    By stevoxsi in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 8th December 2012, 22:11
  2. Swirl Valves......
    By signum_1.9 in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 5th July 2012, 19:16
  3. re swirl valves
    By steve alan in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th April 2012, 08:52
  4. Swirl valves
    By MattHD in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18th April 2011, 12:45
  5. swirl valves
    By scoobyman in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th October 2008, 21:14

Visitors found this page by searching for:

vectra c black soot near valve

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •