Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default To all you self employed BEWARE

We all know that finding work in this financial climate is hard and it seems that there are a few large companies looking to take advantage using underarm tactics.
    Im a Labour only Industrial roofing contractor, Ive been working for the same few companies for five years. Never had a problem with getting paid when work is correct and completed in time. Working in any trade you get to know some of the bigger names in that trade. Work is slack at the best of time though we have had a constant streem of work.
    Recently a major name in my trade contacted me regarding a run of work in my particular field to keep at least 5 full time trades men on. Knowing the company I took on the work 12 weeks ago. We work on the basis of 30days terms, ie you work a week, submit invoice then approx 30days later get paid.
    To cut a long story short, I was told that the company was getting restructured so a third party company with a very simmular name would be paying the invoice. i agreed and started work, 5 weeks in having had 4 men and myself on site with digs and costs, not paid!! Rang the office, sorry having problems with the invoice name can i change it and re submit. so i did, pay rolled into next week. next week came another problem. Stupidly allowed this to happen for 3 weeks.
    Finnal enough! stopped men and started to pull off site. Site agent got on the phone and i got a call, " Can you stay till the end of the week and ill get a payment for week one in the bank by end of business." got the payment as promised and stayed to the end of the week.
    On the weekend i was sat in the van preparing and invoice when the MD of the Front company turned up next to me with another guy, I overheard them talking.
    " Just delay this mob till they get done with scraps and once we get nearly done let them leave and get the other mob finnish, by that time we can bust and get our bonus cash"
    !!!!!!!!! REDDDDDDD!!!!!! not the word. Got out the van and confronted the guy.. "so what you going to about it??" he said smuggly.
    Now charged for asault and 10k in debt.... What a w*****!!!!

Seems this is happening all over. front compaines set up get the work done then dont pay. As the work is never quite completed so the big main company brings in thier own guys to fininsh never having paid a penny for the work to date. thus forcing the new fron company to bust.

What a Scam and It has nearly bust me from being confortable a few months ago to being back where i was years ago.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have witnessed this myself you are right companies are winning contracts at 0% mark up then sub-ie bashing and ghost variation order's etc,,,,

A certain large supermarket went out to tender on internal refit's of a section inside most of their stores. It went to etender which we won and at a massive 15% mark-up.

Did we win the contract? NO the incumbent was given a final chance to secure the work at our price point, he had no option but to do so. Sadly a few weeks later they went into liquidation, we got a call from some of their people, then a call from the Company direct. My Managing Director told them to go shove after using such tactics.

Sadly there are hundreds of companies who will bite that hand off and you are the result, innocent contractors getting burned.

We need a professional body to defend this sort of result and go after the pirates name and shame them!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

That's despicable, but I can believe in it happening. If you can prove the link between front company and main company could get advice about taking it to court?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra and a Signum

Trim : top of the line in both

Engine : Z18XE,Z19DTH,Z20NET

Year : 2006

sorry to hear that mate, I glad you let him know your thoughts on the matter as though (hopefully that won't come to much with). I know many won't approve but he deserved it and if he gets a few more he may change his business practise.

spoons

Bad news that... sorry to hear it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Chin up mate!!Hope you made a mess of him.Now get a brief and have your day in court and let the judge know what was behind his pasting.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What company was it ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Mc View Post
    I have witnessed this myself you are right companies are winning contracts at 0% mark up then sub-ie bashing and ghost variation order's etc,,,,

A certain large supermarket went out to tender on internal refit's of a section inside most of their stores. It went to etender which we won and at a massive 15% mark-up.

Did we win the contract? NO the incumbent was given a final chance to secure the work at our price point, he had no option but to do so. Sadly a few weeks later they went into liquidation, we got a call from some of their people, then a call from the Company direct. My Managing Director told them to go shove after using such tactics.

Sadly there are hundreds of companies who will bite that hand off and you are the result, innocent contractors getting burned.

We need a professional body to defend this sort of result and go after the pirates name and shame them!
    I'd do more than name and shame them.Talk about taking the law into your own hands wouldn't be f***ing in it!!!!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Large glasgow based roofing and sheeting company

Thread Information