User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Egr blanking.is this an alternative/improved method?.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Arrow Egr blanking.is this an alternative/improved method?.

Like many other members on this forum,I have had recurring problems with my EGR valve.After some deliberation,I have thought of an alternative way of getting round the ongoing blanking issue,(maybe anyway).
    What do you think would be the results of the following?.Blank the exhaust access to the valve at the oval connection point and drill a suitably sized hole in the body of the valve to allow clean air to enter when the valve opens.This would have a twofold effect.
    It would allow the required amount of air into the system to satisfy the sensor,but also,the air would be cooler thus aiding combustion.
    Of course this would depend on whether the PO400 code is flagged just because of an insufficient flow or an insufficient flow of EXHAUST gas.If the former applies,it would also eliminate the eternal argument about the cooling of the turbo.
    I would be very interested in your comments.FELIXX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sound like an interesting theory. I will watch this thread with interest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by felixx View Post
    Like many other members on this forum,I have had recurring problems with my EGR valve.After some deliberation,I have thought of an alternative way of getting round the ongoing blanking issue,(maybe anyway).
    What do you think would be the results of the following?.Blank the exhaust access to the valve at the oval connection point and drill a suitably sized hole in the body of the valve to allow clean air to enter when the valve opens.This would have a twofold effect.
    It would allow the required amount of air into the system to satisfy the sensor,but also,the air would be cooler thus aiding combustion.
    Of course this would depend on whether the PO400 code is flagged just because of an insufficient flow or an insufficient flow of EXHAUST gas.If the former applies,it would also eliminate the eternal argument about the cooling of the turbo.
    I would be very interested in your comments.FELIXX.
    Anyone with a defective now redundant EGR prepared to test this theory?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Mc View Post
    Anyone with a defective now redundant EGR prepared to test this theory?
    Why don't you be the pioneer?

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza4 View Post

Gazza4
    As it happens,I do have an old one,taken off my sons 120 just after Xmas.(It was completely f***ed),so I don't know yet whether the solenoid has burned out,but if it hasn't,and I can get it operating again,I'm going to try it.(On his car of course!!!!).
    I just wanted to see what some of the fraternity thought,especially DD as I know he has strong views on this subject in particular!!!!.FELIXX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

As it happens,I do have an old one,taken off my sons 120 just after Xmas.(It was completely f***ed),so I don't know yet whether the solenoid has burned out,but if it hasn't,and I can get it operating again,I'm going to try it.(On his car of course!!!!).
    I just wanted to see what some of the fraternity thought,especially DD as I know he has strong views on this subject in particular!!!!.FELIXX.
    Ignore him anyway he done a mod to the CDTI engine too, and it wasn't his car funnily enough.

Anyway will be interesting to see what the results are m8.

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i'd thought about this also but two things worried me about it so never got round to it.....

1) you'd be letting unfiltered air into the manifold
    2) when the egr opens you would have a vent to atmosphere which unless regulated by a one way valve could mean flow going either way . If you've ever let the egr ever so slightly loose as i did once, then you get reduced power and fumes into the engine bay. Of course this might be because the egr is not functioning as normally expected and therefore chucks a wobbler. I'd hazard a guess that you're efforts will result in a similar result ??? pressure loss in the manifold with map and maf being out of sync and telling the ecu to reduce power.

who knows....only one way to see and that is try it i guess.

will watch the results with interest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mparks8590 View Post
    i'd thought about this also but two things worried me about it so never got round to it.....

1) you'd be letting unfiltered air into the manifold
    2) when the egr opens you would have a vent to atmosphere which unless regulated by a one way valve could mean flow going either way . If you've ever let the egr ever so slightly loose as i did once, then you get reduced power and fumes into the engine bay. Of course this might be because the egr is not functioning as normally expected and therefore chucks a wobbler. I'd hazard a guess that you're efforts will result in a similar result ??? pressure loss in the manifold with map and maf being out of sync and telling the ecu to reduce power.

who knows....only one way to see and that is try it i guess.

will watch the results with interest.
    I take your point on the possible issues but the unfiltered air could be dealt with,as for the pressure differences when the valve opens,it should be exerting a negative (I think) pressure,(sucking/drawing in,as it would be doing with the previous exhaust gases),only instead of exhaust gasses it would be clear air.It was whether the sensor that detects the flow measures the flow contents or just a lack of it that makes me wonder if it would work.FELIXX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza4 View Post

Gazza4
    Because I don't have a faulty one that has been replaced to play with

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I take your point on the possible issues but the unfiltered air could be dealt with,as for the pressure differences when the valve opens,it should be exerting a negative (I think) pressure,(sucking/drawing in,as it would be doing with the previous exhaust gases),only instead of exhaust gasses it would be clear air.It was whether the sensor that detects the flow measures the flow contents or just a lack of it that makes me wonder if it would work.FELIXX.
    It would be simply dealt with as all we are trying to establish is air pressure, so pressurise the side currently fed by the exhaust with air from a T taken from the inlet manifold.

Or, simply get a tech2 person to remove the egr from the set-up and still have no emission light.

I still firmly believe as do many others in the Saab, and Alfa forums using this same engine, that once the oil vapour has been eliminated a bit of exhaust carbon is not worth bothering about as it is only when it combines with the oil does it strangle the intake manifold and swirl valves.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information