Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default My thoughts after a month

It is just about a month now since I traded my 06 Mondeo 2.0TDCi Edge for an 08 Vectra SRi CDTi. Some of you may feel that I have been quite negative about the car, but some of that was just because it took quite a bit of getting used to. Here are my thoughts about the car after a month and 2000 miles:

Exterior 10/10 - this car is in better exterior condition than any other car I have bought (including newer cars with far fewer miles). I also like the look of the car. Never rated the original Vectra C front end, but the face lift makes the car.

Interior 5/10 - I don't like the drivers seat, and my wife does not like the front passenger seat. They are too narrow and too hard. The Mondeo (and previous cars) were far nicer to sit in. On saying that I have got used to the seat, and as long as I take my wallot out of my back pocket it no longer seems such a torture. The lack of practical cup holders in the front is a negative (but the rear ones are better than was to be found in the Mondeo). The centre arm rest also feels flimbsy, creeky and cheap compared with the one in the Mondeo (being a partial paraplegic, I have to use my arms a lot in getting into and out of the car, so the arm rest gets abuse). The stereo is also not nearly as good (either sound quality or its lack of Aux). On a more positive note the trip computer is much better in the Vectra and my son loves having his own rear cabin light, arm rest and 12v socket for his DS charger. He is not so fond of his feet touching the back of the passenger seat (they didn't in the Mondeo).

Performance and Handling 9/10 - Unfair comparison with the Mondeo. Although its engine was bigger at only 113 bhp it obviously can't really compete with the Vectra at 148bhp, although the Mondeo was good enough at mid range acceleration the Vectra does easily beat it. I have knocked a mark off for the greater turbo lag (I assume because at only 1.9 it is a small engine relying on more turbo input to achieve its performance). The Vectra is also much better as a tow car for my caravan, both more powerful (obvious) but also more stable and the back end does not sag in the same way it did in the Mondeo with the caravan hitched up. In terms of handling I find the Vectra steers and holds the road just as good as the Mondeo (just as fair professional reviews say about the post face lift if not the soggy old pre-face lift). The larger wheels and low profile tyres look great but I really think the car would actually be a nicer car to drive with 15 or 16 inch wheels and proper tyres (not about to change however). I am also worried that the good handling is partly down to the very expensive Goodyear tyres the previous owner had fitted. I never spent more tha £50 per corner on my Mondeo, and will get the cheapest possible rubber when the Vectra needs it, so I am worried that while the Vectra handles as well now, that is comparing the vectra on rediculously expensive rubber with the Mondeo on properly priced rubber.

Over all 7.5/10. The Vectra is better than I had expected but I would still score it behind the Mondeo (8.5/10). I am also worried about the instant when the engine cut out and the manement warning came on. It quickly restarted and has so far not repeated but it will take a while before I feel trust in the car after that.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Very interesting read William, the only points I would add would be that the handling is attributed to the SRi suspension so easily out handles the Mondeo,
    Going to 16" wheels however will remove some of that advantage, but, if you had bought a Design model rather than SRi it would have been a bit softer and compliant as driving both back to back they feel like totally different machines in fairness.

Glad you have found much good in the Vectra as I have come from a Chrysler 300C via a Saab9-5 Aero to the Vectra (my first manual car in a decade) and I have grown to love it dearly.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Oh, I should have said that two other pluses with the Vectra is the engine is more refined and the car is giving me a good 5-6mpg better fuel efficiency than the Mondeo.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah the seats in the SRI are harder too. If you bought an elite or design model they would be softer....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

Mucklestone just beat me to it about the seats - I find them quite supportive. There are several tyre threads going with alternative, cheaper tyres, I am happy with the NCT's but will change on cost grounds when they wear out. At present I'm considering rainsport 2's, Vredstein Sessanta's (recommended along with Kumho by local tyre fitter) or Neuton.
    It's a big, heavy car, so while I don't want to pay £160 a corner, I do want something I trust.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

always fancied a Chrysler 300 estate, sorry to hijack the thread, but what was it like Derek. Considering trading Veccy estate in for one of those.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra and a Signum

Trim : top of the line in both

Engine : Z18XE,Z19DTH,Z20NET

Year : 2006

its a shame you feel the need to go cheap on tyres, these are one of the most important parts of the car for keeping you on the road and safe in adverse weather conditions etc. When people are prepared to spend extra money on changing the looks and adding extra gadgets yet not care about giving the car better road holding is not a good way to do things in my book. The old saying you get what you pay for comes to mind.

I have Vredestein Ultra C on one car and Vredestein Sessanta on my Signum and after going through many top brands and cheapos on previous cars (both family and sports cars) I will not look elsewhere again, simply the best gripping all round tyres I have ever used to date. They are not cheap but also not the most expensive but can be bought cheaper from the net and fitted by your local tyre place for small cash backhander.

As the other guys have mentioned regarding the seats, with an Elite you would have got the more comfortable seating.

In the end beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and i have always thought the mondeo through all of its incarnations to be a pig ugly car and looses hands down in the looks department to the vectras since the two models hit production. From the old wide mouth frog designs to the current model they were very uninspiring although some of engines were ok and had a nice ride I would never consider buying one.

I do hope that your initial teething problems you experienced with your vectra iron themselves out, when looked after and maintenance carried out on them, sometimes proactively, you should have yourself a good car.
    My old Signum, the animal; she now rests in pieces in several other members cars.. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=200
    The wifes vec show car, started as a standard daily driver and ended up like this. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=709

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Also with the stereo not being as good, if it was a CD70 with all the speakers, i'd find that hard to believe, as mine is easily the best sounding (standard) stereo i've ever had in a car!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTI auto

Year : 63

Mileage : 8,500

If you have to take your wallet out to make the seat comfy, try spending all the money you have stored in it, or ditch all those credit cards you got. I have done this before, but not on this car yet.
    Have had my sri 150 CDTi auto 58-reg 6 months now and love it, trouble is the wife loves it as well.
    I think the main reason for buying a sri is that there are lots out there, hence cheaper than elite, or design.
    Tyres mine came with Goodyear NCT's and they seem ok, currently on 22K miles, with enough tread to get to 30K.
    I usually change to Michelin tyres, good grip, long life, 30K miles on previous cars. I don't think cheaper tyres do the mileage.
    These cars are ideal for long distance cruising, mine is pulling 1700rpm at an idicated 70mph. Thats theoretically 2000rpm at 90mph.
    Best of luck

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It is the CD30 in the SRi, and no matter how I adjust bass etc just lacks the depth or volume of sound the Ford stereo (which did have Aux in) produced. Yes I got an SRi, not because I wanted the sportyness, but because it was easier to find and cheaper (plus I find VX trim names confusing - I would have assumed that Exclusive was a high trim rather than a basic one etc, and people on here describe the Vectra Design as a high trim, yet when I almost bought a Zafira (Mk1) a few years ago, Design was second trim level with just Club below it).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information