Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Unhappy 3.2 GSI A Few Issues Help Needed Please

Hi All,

AM new to the site just picked up my 02 plate 3.2 GSI. As soon as i have got it some isses have appeared. I am begining to think its a pup, however i did get it for the right money paid 2700 and its done 50k FSH, 1 owner etc.

Garage have replaced two wheel bearings and the rocker cover gaskets before we picked it up.

Also the car was sold to us "As Taken In" does this mean we have no warranty or come back !!??.

If anyone could shed any light on these points i would be really greatfull.

Are any of them common issues ?

1. The front section of the exhaust has gone on the Flexi Pipe ( Hopefully Garage are sorting that tomorrow)

2. When she is idling the engine isnt silky smooth like it was when we went to view the car, it is as if its not firing correctly on one cylinder, you can feel it lumpy as you sit in it.

3. I dont know if this is normal or not but when i turn the ignition on the "Engine Electronics" warning light comes on until the engine is started then it goes off is this normal ??.

4.When she is idling and you rev her for a split second there is a squeek that sounds like a pulley or belt slipping.

5.Tha garage have serviced for us before we got it, when we viewed it the engine was smooth and silent, however now it seems to be a little tapetty, so i am assuming they have used cheapo oil that isnt getting into the lash asdjusters when its cold.

6. Finally when pulling away in 1st or second there seems to be a dull whining noise that has now appeared.

Many thanks in advance
    Last edited by gibsonk; 21st September 2010 at 18:46.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

2) might be the air control valve in need of a clean.
    3) you have a stored fault still. It might go away after 20-30 starts of the car. Reading the code will tell you the fault Try this method worked on my 3.2 Engine.
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81742

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The lumpy idle could a fault with the DIS pack - how does it drive at normal speeds?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonk View Post
    Hi All,

AM new to the site just picked up my 02 plate 3.2 GSI. As soon as i have got it some isses have appeared. I am begining to think its a pup, however i did get it for the right money paid 2700 and its done 50k FSH, 1 owner etc.

Garage have replaced two wheel bearings and the rocker cover gaskets before we picked it up.

Also the car was sold to us "As Taken In" does this mean we have no warranty or come back !!??.

If anyone could shed any light on these points i would be really greatfull.

Are any of them common issues ?

1. The front section of the exhaust has gone on the Flexi Pipe ( Hopefully Garage are sorting that tomorrow)

2. When she is idling the engine isnt silky smooth like it was when we went to view the car, it is as if its not firing correctly on one cylinder, you can feel it lumpy as you sit in it.

3. I dont know if this is normal or not but when i turn the ignition on the "Engine Electronics" warning light comes on until the engine is started then it goes off is this normal ??.

4.When she is idling and you rev her for a split second there is a squeek that sounds like a pulley or belt slipping.

5.Tha garage have serviced for us before we got it, when we viewed it the engine was smooth and silent, however now it seems to be a little tapetty, so i am assuming they have used cheapo oil that isnt getting into the lash asdjusters when its cold.

6. Finally when pulling away in 1st or second there seems to be a dull whining noise that has now appeared.

Many thanks in advance
    1) When you say they are sorting it bear in mind the only way to sort it properly is to either replace the whole front exhaust sectionor to weld a new
    flexi joint in. Anything else they do will be temporary fix and won't last very long at all!
    2) Rough idling is a commen problem with the GSI but if it more than this and is actually misfiring with no engine management lights on I would try changing the spark plugs (especially as the rocker cover gaskets were changed - oil could have coated the plugs). This is not a starightforward job on the GSI and could have therefore have been skipped.
    4) Could be the auxillary belt slipping or a problem with the alternator.
    5) Try changing the oil for a 5w 40 grade - I use it and my engine has no tappety noise whatsoever.
    Oh and if there is no evidence of the cambelt being changed recently get it done (along with the water pump) immediately, and don't forget to check the common Vectra problems (broken springs, leaky rear shocks, worn arb bushes, front drop links & rear upper suspension arms.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
    The lumpy idle could a fault with the DIS pack - how does it drive at normal speeds?

Everything is good at speed, no problems at all. DIS pack i am assuming is the distributer pack ??
    Last edited by gibsonk; 21st September 2010 at 21:47.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by dae36 View Post
    1) When you say they are sorting it bear in mind the only way to sort it properly is to either replace the whole front exhaust sectionor to weld a new
    flexi joint in. Anything else they do will be temporary fix and won't last very long at all!
    2) Rough idling is a commen problem with the GSI but if it more than this and is actually misfiring with no engine management lights on I would try changing the spark plugs (especially as the rocker cover gaskets were changed - oil could have coated the plugs). This is not a starightforward job on the GSI and could have therefore have been skipped.
    4) Could be the auxillary belt slipping or a problem with the alternator.
    5) Try changing the oil for a 5w 40 grade - I use it and my engine has no tappety noise whatsoever.
    Oh and if there is no evidence of the cambelt being changed recently get it done (along with the water pump) immediately, and don't forget to check the common Vectra problems (broken springs, leaky rear shocks, worn arb bushes, front drop links & rear upper suspension arms.
    The cam belt was changed by VX stealer at 44k its marked up in the log book. I would hope they are replacing the front section but wouldnt be surprised if they patch it up

If needs be i will change the plugs myself, cant be that hard i had my FTO cambelt, intake manifold and cam carriers of to sort some issues,

Is there any workshop manuals on her for reference ?? couldnt find any with the search.

My biggest concern is the noise when pulling away, hope this isnt the gearbox gone i have seen a few people have had problems with them.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : GSI

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 2003

Mine is like this, sometimes with aircon on when engine idles slightly faster it is less noticable.

Also does this, will probably start to do it when you start the car too, like a quick chirping noise

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

mine gives a quick chirping noise when you start, any idea what it is?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by david.aka.judas View Post
    mine gives a quick chirping noise when you start, any idea what it is?
    Could it be a small blue tit nesting in your airbox David.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by John C S View Post
    Could it be a small blue tit nesting in your airbox David.

grrrr..... I want to say something funny in return but I'm smiling too much.......hahaha.

you, you..............!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information