StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CDTi 150 EGR valve blanking plate

Hi Guys,

Friend of mine has been manufacturing EGR blanking plates for VAGs and Rovers for a while now and he currently has my CDTi[150] for measure up.

These don't make a huge performance improvement but at least you don't have to keep cleaning/refurbing/replacing the blasted thing!

Once it's done - this afternoon hopefully - I'll post back with results. I'm pretty sure he'll be up for doing a deal with the club if a few of you are interested. Also - anyone in the havant/portsmouth area with an engine that he hasn't measured for manufacture yet he may well make and fit a plate for free just so he can get the measurements.

Anyone interested in either a plate for a 150 or who is happy to have their car measured up, post here and we'll see what we can do we are of course interested in any diesel cars not just vx so feel free to post if you want a plate for the missus' focus too

Thanks for reading

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been pondering about this, not had any problems yet as car lives on motorway but maybe would do if improved mpg etc
    Engine-DTUK eco3,K&N panel filter/airbox mod1&2,samco vac hoses,covers detailedExt-XP spliter,sig fogs,eyebrows,tinted side repeaters&rear lights,debadged,CC'd vxr valance/boot strip/calipers,heated jets,flatblade wipers,reverse cam,mtec bulbs,twin exhaust,8k HIDs,snowflakes,opel grill/insig griffinInt-TV/NAV/DVD,led&white GID conversion,footwell lighting,cooled g'box,custom headrests,blinds,JBL sub/amp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had no trouble yet, but have been considering the FIAT semi blanking gasket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I've just got mine back from Bert and the shakey shakes appear to have all gone away completely

I'm going to take her on the 50 mile commute tomorrow and see how she fares.

re the fiat plate - does it have a hole drilled in it? be interesting to know as some motors do better with a 'partial' blanking plate than a solid one - that would be very useful information for our production...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bappy View Post
    Well I've just got mine back from Bert and the shakey shakes appear to have all gone away completely

I'm going to take her on the 50 mile commute tomorrow and see how she fares.

re the fiat plate - does it have a hole drilled in it? be interesting to know as some motors do better with a 'partial' blanking plate than a solid one - that would be very useful information for our production...

Not sure if it's a plate, members have said it's a gasket, but yes, holes in it. Only partially restricts the flow so it doesn't trigger the warning light but limits the soot getting through. Sounded good to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the fiat gasket has smaller hole. this changes dynamics of flow though gasket and egr adn makes soot build up less likely

have you read the recent thread on removin the butterfly from the throttle body?

this would appear to also reduce egr gases into inlet manifold. so maybe a combo of both might satisfy emmissions control whilst not leading to overtly clogged manifolds

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't need to blank the EGR valve, just remove the butterfly plate from the throttle body. It does virtually the same thing (stops exhaust gas flow) and frees up the air inlet by a few % at the same time.

Edit: EML stays off on Astra that I have done this to.
    Last edited by diesel dog; 15th September 2010 at 10:27.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diesel dog View Post
    You don't need to blank the EGR valve, just remove the butterfly plate from the throttle body. It does virtually the same thing (stops exhaust gas flow) and frees up the air inlet by a few % at the same time.

Edit: EML stays off on Astra that I have done this to.
    diesel dog..........

is this an easier job to do?? any improvements? throttle response, power, mpg??
    Engine-DTUK eco3,K&N panel filter/airbox mod1&2,samco vac hoses,covers detailedExt-XP spliter,sig fogs,eyebrows,tinted side repeaters&rear lights,debadged,CC'd vxr valance/boot strip/calipers,heated jets,flatblade wipers,reverse cam,mtec bulbs,twin exhaust,8k HIDs,snowflakes,opel grill/insig griffinInt-TV/NAV/DVD,led&white GID conversion,footwell lighting,cooled g'box,custom headrests,blinds,JBL sub/amp

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul_sri150 View Post
    diesel dog..........

is this an easier job to do?? any improvements? throttle response, power, mpg??
    Accelerator pedal response is better, probably due to any delay in the butterfly plate opening after the pedal is pressed. No other performance benefit will be found except for maybe a little bit less smoke and a bit more power at full load on cars with boxes or remaps. But we're not talking huge amounts here, just fractions.

Job is easy to do (see earlier post in thread). Clean EGR valve at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diesel dog View Post
    Accelerator pedal response is better, probably due to any delay in the butterfly plate opening after the pedal is pressed. No other performance benefit will be found except for maybe a little bit less smoke and a bit more power at full load on cars with boxes or remaps. But we're not talking huge amounts here, just fractions.

Job is easy to do (see earlier post in thread). Clean EGR valve at the same time.

cheers, a job for me next time i do some pottering under bonnet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information