0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sat Nav Scratches - Great News!

Hi everyone, I've joined this forum to tell you how delighted I am about a solution I've found to my Insignia problem.

I picked up my 1.6 SRi last week, 8000 miles on the clock and I got a great deal. It was loaded with extras (the original owner had racked up over £25,000 rrp with extras). It was pristine apart from one thing...

...The Sat Nav (DVD 800) was covered in scratch marks. Not just one or two, but hundreds in a hash pattern, countless scuffs all over the thing. I'm not sure if this was a cleaning attempt gone wrong or people were constantly touching it thinking it was touch screen.

I had to think hard about the car, it was perfect in every respect except this - perfect interior and exterior. I asked the salesman (Vauxhall) about it and he assured me the valleters would be able to clean it up. He said one of the guys at the showroom was a "car nut" and he said he'd seen it on Audis and BMWs. He said the deal could be conditional upon him fixing it up.

I must admit I was skeptical that the valleters would be able to fix this, and on pick up day I turned up to see a perfect car (the usual alloy and tyre polish) and, low and behold, the same old sat nav screen. The bloke was very apologetic and clearly a bit nervous. The poor guy had even nipped to Currys that morning and picked up their most expensive LCD screen cleaner. Anyway, I had to choose. I reckoned it was the best spec of vehicle I was likely to get for the price so I took it. I've been delighted with the vehicle in every respect but I didn't want to let the matter lie.

It turns out the 'car nut' was indeed right. The problem does affect Audis and many other Sat Nav cars. They recommended a product called Meguiares PlastRX (http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine.../prod_283.html)

I read on many forums that this would bring the Sat Nav back to its former glory. I can't tell you how nervous I was about doing this - I had dreadful images of the whole thing melting before me. However, I couldn't help but notice it however much family and friends could barely register the problem. So, today I took to the screen with a modest amount of PlastRX and buffed the screen. The results are PHENOMENAL, the screen looks fresh from the factory, not a scratch, scuff or mark in sight! I was so relieved! It takes a few rubbings to get right, but oh so worth it.

Basically, what's going on is that all the scratches are the anti-glare coating breaking down under finger grease or cleaners. I've seen it on loads of cars. All this does is takes the nasty stuff off. I can assure everyone it's hardly any different. The original was only slightly duller, but it was unnecessary as there is no glare on my newly restored screen. If you wanted to (though I won't) you can order the sat nav covers (like mobile phone covers) to add the anti-glare dullness back in. Though, as I say, you can barely notice any difference. Even better, the actual screen is far more robust than the coating and can be wiped with a damp cloth, dusted and cleaned with LCD cleaner with no marking or scratching. It's win, win.

I took some photos of before and after - if anyone is interested in doing this, and has the same problem I can post them.

Cheers, I hope this may be of help to someone in the same boat!
    Dave
    (Enjoying his pristine Insignia)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Insignia suffered the same problem. It looked horrible. Nice tip there! I have sold mine now, but I would have tried it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like to see the pics mate, dont have the sat nav but my trip computer screen could do with being cleaned.

Thread Information