0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default buying a vectra C deisel

Hello to all, First post here as i am about to buy a vectra 04 reg, 2ltr DTI.

I have had vauxhalls since 1987 & touch wood have never had any major problems....my car at present is a P reg vectra B, 1.8 LS that i have owned since 2004. Fancy a change now as the vectra C makes mine look a little dated.

Anyway, the one i saw today has 50k on the clock, took it for a run & didnt notice anything untoward.

Are they any issues with the 2 ltr DTI engine?. Am i right in thinking that these are chain driven cams & not belt driven? This will be the first diesel car i have had so would appreciate a few pointers! I was a (heavy vehicle) diesel fitter in a previous life but that was before the electronic gadgetry was around!
    Any comments welcomed.

Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50K miles is a well below average for the age
    Providing the service history is complete (one service every 11 to 13 months), then I would happily purchase subject to satisfactory road test and MoT on day of purchase

The 2.0 diesel is a fairly old engine design, but tends to be more reliable than its replacement the 1.9 CDTI

As with all diesels, fuel pumps are expensive, but at 50K miles you should get at least 3 years / 30K miles before it may throw some spanners

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As M8 said the DTi is a relativly reliable lump. The pumps do not fail nearly as much as people would have you believe.

As long as the EGR valve and boost sensor are kept clean and you check the hoses (boost and vacuum) for perishing/splits you should be in for many miles of motoring enjoyment. As you've all ready driven it you will be happy with the performance so no points to make there.

You are correct in thinking that they are chain driven so that simplifies things alot. If you are into servicing your own car then the DTi even keeps things simple there (the oil filter is near the top of the engine and easy to get to

Any other questions just ask

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My previous C was a 2.0dti & i have to say it was a great motor, 600 miles to a tank on a run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try out a 1.9cdti (150) before you buy a 2.0dti . compare ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many thanks for the replies gentlemen.Its reassuring to hear the engine has a reliable reputation.

I forgot to mention in the first post, but i did notice a trace of an oil leak around the top end of the engine. I am hoping maybe rocker cover gasket but wont know for sure untill its washed off & checked.

The car is a trade in at a dealer near to me & the chap who works there (salesman) is an old family friend, so there shouldnt be (hopefully!) anything dodgy about it. The chap who traded it in was an old guy.

The service history is present & had its MOT in april. It did actually fail on all 4 road springs having incomplete coils ( my old vectra had this problem & it seems to be a common fault). I noticed that 4 new springs have been fitted.

Oohh, the cd palyer has a cd in it that wont eject but that should be easilly sorted out....fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mick.n View Post
    I forgot to mention in the first post, but i did notice a trace of an oil leak around the top end of the engine
    the cd palyer has a cd in it that wont eject but that should be easilly sorted out
    If you have not purchased the car, then point out the oil leak and that you want it inspected and if required a repair
    I personally wouldn't worry about a visible oil leak at the top of the engine, so long as the oil is a small amount and can't be seen increasing with the engine running
    If the pressure test comes back acceptable, leave it until the cylinder head actually has to come off

Same again with the CD
    Point this out to the sales agent
    Should it happen again, and it does seem to happen quite often with CD players
    Simply remove the fuse for the CD player for about 10 minutes
    On restarting it should eject any CD contained within it
    If not, then it will need to be removed from the car and either repaired or replaced
    Make sure you have the cars pass card

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all for the replies & sorry for the late reply from me, been busy sorting out the insurance, etc (which incidently was cheaper for fully comp than my old vectra B was for 3rd party f&t!!)

The cd player suddenly started ejecting the disc without any problems after i took the fuse out & stuck it back in as you mentioned, so far so good.

I cleaned the top of the engine off & 50 or so miles later no sign of any leaks. Will keep a check on it.

All the service history is present but i am going to change the oil & filters & fuel & air filters this next week. According to the service book these only need an oil change once a year & fuel filter every 2 years! Seems to long an interval for my liking & intend to do them twice a year......especially as i do less than 4000 miles a year.

Am i correct in thinking that the oil for these engines is 10-30 fully synthetic?

OOh, i cant for the life of me find the p steering canister! is it hidden away somewhere?

Not been far in it so far but this is the best & most comfortable car i ever had & even the wife approves . Had a valet done & i polished it up the other day, it looks really mint....well chuffed
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by mick.n; 1st October 2010 at 21:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the 2.2dti which is nigh on similar to the 2.0dti and its a good engine. Not quite refined as the 1.9cdti but seems to have fewer issues.

As some one mentioned earlier the only faults that most people have with the 2.0 and 2.2dti's are the vacuum hoses splitting which can be easily replaced for £6 with silicone ones from ebay (see this thread:http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115759 ) and also the top left and top right intercooler hoses can perish because Vauxhall were rather tight when it can to good quality materials. Vauxhall dont sell them indivdually but again ebay to the rescue. (another thread about the intercooler hoses: http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116528 ). The vectra-C is a good car and a worthy upgrade from your old Vectra-B.

PS make sure you get a 2nd key from the person you've bough it form. For some reason most people dont seem to get them! Oh and also make sure you have your car pass as you would have to pay £25 to your local vauxhall dealer for a new one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Innes, i got a spare key and also the car pass so no problem there.

I found out where the PS cannister is............. what a stupid ****** place to fit it!!

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information