Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default cdti sri brakes

evening all, Been away for a week, we went down to Tenby, it was fantastic. the drive there and back was brilliant. The first real drive out in the vectra. other than a 40min drive down the m56 then m53 it was A roads most the way there, which was brill however these sri brakes felt a bit ropy at times. im sorry for this as I know this has been discussed many times before and have searched previous threads etc but couldn't find an answer, maybe it was the amount of weight in the car, us three and suitcases etc but at times the brakes didnt fill me with the greatest confidence. so I am looking to upgrade. ive checked the discs and pads and they are fine so I think it's just a case of brakes not coping with my heavy right foot. I don't want to spend a fortune on a set of massive brembo sport brakes but would like something a little better than the standard vx brakes, so whats the best bet? do i just get a set of pads maybe green stuff or do i fit bigger discs, and if so what else is required and does anyone know how much, would like your thoughts please, thanks. car is an 2008 sri 1.9 cdti 150

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

you can upgrade to vectra VXR brakes?
    or you can upgrade to drilled discs and mintex pads. braided hoses & 5.1/super plus 4 brake fluid.
    but uprated discs and pads should be more than enough the vec is a big heavy car and fully loaded wouldnt have helped.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I know the fact the car was full to bursting with luggage etc so this defo didn't help and as you say it's a big car anyway, but wasnt really happy before with the brakes. I had a focus st 170 before so was used to having fairly good brakes. i dont have a bog budget these days with wife finishing work and having a small baby. im not saying i want to do it on the cheap but vrx brake discs etc are out the question i was just looking at the 314mm disk kits all in one box i think for around £300.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

I haven't had aaany probs with mine, maybe because there's usually only me, or me and partner in it. I have been considering fast pads, and drilled or slotted discs when they need changing, mainly because as you say, it's a big, heavy car - and quite quick.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i had same problem when i got my sri vectra, poor brakes even though when checked everything was 100%, just a big heavy car tbh is the answer so i upgraded to 314mm discs and calipers etc, totally different car now brakes are soo good. This is really what vauxhall should have put on the vec to start with.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had exactly the same problem with my standard brakes on a 1.9 CDTi SRi like yours, the brakes were just appalling, also the rears wore out twice as fast as the fronts and if I braked hard in a bend, the back tried to overtake the front.

The final straw was going across Germany fully loaded when someone pulled out on me in the outside lane doing no more than 70 (British plates) whilst I was well over a 100 (more like 140), the brakes overheated and faded, luckily a sensible German saw what was going on and rapidly moved out of the middle lane leaving me an escape route and narrowly avoiding a crash.

Got a set of 315's or is it 314's from LMF with grooved disks and havent looked back since, best upgrade I ever did, and for the win fit Continental Sport Contact 3's.

Now even with the car loaded and in poor conditions, I'm still amazed how such a heavy car can stop so quickly! and dosent try to spin out when braking in a bend, also the rears now wear out about half as fast as the fronts and the braking is nice without any "is it going to stop" moments.

Definatelly recommend the 315mm upgrade.

The existing dust shields do fit just, but you may find there is a tiny bit touching just at the bottom of the caliper which creates a scrapping sound on the disk when first fitted, just get a pin punch and give this a small tap to bend it out of the way, that's about the only problem you may encounter as this is a fairly easy mod, just make sure you have a new copper washer for the banjo bolt, as this is not supplied with the upgrade kit.

It is 314 not 315 and here's the link to LMF

http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/314mm-B...nd-Signum.html
    Last edited by Chocki; 5th September 2010 at 08:48. Reason: Add link

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks for replies, i have looked at them 314mm discs on lmf but it says out of stock and i think it has for some time, does anybody know if i am still able to get them from there, also is it an easy diy job, never fitted brake pads or discs before, if i can raise the cash ill defo go for these 314mm discs as this seem s to be a popular choice, other than that ive been recommended a set of standard size drilled and grooved mintex discs front and rear for around £160 i think. why oh why didnt vx fit bigger brakes,

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm on my 2nd vectra C, both 1.9td, the first one was a life, and i always thought the brakes were shocking, once nipping accross from junc 14 to the a5 through MK, i was accelerating hard and braking harding but only from about 80mph, not enough to kick the ABS in, two round abouts before i get the to the A5, i mention to the mrs i think the brakes overheated as it was struggling to stop, and then she noticed there was smoke pooring from her front wheel and there smoke coming from my side too. It was one the reason's I got the SRI, assumed it would have uprated brakes, turns out is hasn't, but they are definatley better than the lifes, by a long shot.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by gdansk View Post
    I'm on my 2nd vectra C, both 1.9td, the first one was a life, and i always thought the brakes were shocking, once nipping accross from junc 14 to the a5 through MK, i was accelerating hard and braking harding but only from about 80mph, not enough to kick the ABS in, two round abouts before i get the to the A5, i mention to the mrs i think the brakes overheated as it was struggling to stop, and then she noticed there was smoke pooring from her front wheel and there smoke coming from my side too. It was one the reason's I got the SRI, assumed it would have uprated brakes, turns out is hasn't, but they are definatley better than the lifes, by a long shot.
    The brakes aren't dependant on trim level, it's all about the engine size. The only ones fitted with larger than standard are the 2.0 Turbo and the V6's - all others have the same 285mm vented fronts and 285 slid rears...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by rob warrington View Post
    thanks for replies, i have looked at them 314mm discs on lmf but it says out of stock and i think it has for some time, does anybody know if i am still able to get them from there, also is it an easy diy job, never fitted brake pads or discs before, if i can raise the cash ill defo go for these 314mm discs as this seem s to be a popular choice, other than that ive been recommended a set of standard size drilled and grooved mintex discs front and rear for around £160 i think. why oh why didnt vx fit bigger brakes,
    If you've never fitted pads or disks before, then you're probably better off getting someone else to fit the 314s, should you find a set. The best way to learn how to fit pads and disks probably isn't when you've also got to change the calipers (and then bleed them before the car can be driven).

On a related note, I spent the last 2 weeks of last month playing taxi driver to a bunch of visiting Canadians, including some 250+ mile trips, and 5 adults in the car, plus on a couple of occasions a boot full of luggage, didn't phase my 314s at all, so it's well worth upgrading.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information