User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Would you recommend a Vectra to a friend or family member?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would recommend a Vectra to a friend

114 79.17%
  • I would not recommend a Vectra to a friend

30 20.83%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you recommend a Vectra to a friend?

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Would you recommend a Vectra to a friend?

Just was reading the current Caravan Club magazine and there was an article reporting owner satisfaction for cars suitable for towing a caravan. The Vectra did not fair well, with only about 60% of owners saying they would recommend one to a friend or family member. The Insignia did even less well (45%). How do you feel?

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Given your post content, in comparison to the thread title, are you asking in general or specifically relating to towing? It's not clear.

If the latter then you forgot to add Signum. It's been classed by caravan magazines/clubs as one of the best cars for towing.

EDIT: Even if the former then you still forgot Signum as they are completely different cars to the Vectra, even though they share the same engines and front end.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It was just a short article, reporting a survey by Which for cars in two age groups (2008 and newer or older (if my memeory is correct). It was not towing satisfaction, it was just general satisfaction with the car. So far on my one tow with the Vectra, I was very happy, and the local region club chair man also tows with a Vectra 1.9 CDTi (150). He did advise staying clear of the SRi because of the lower suspension (hence why I asked about that when I first joined (lost to hacker)).

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well 60% recommendation is not that bad I'd say, Darn site better than many other cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Of course a Vectra will never rate highly as a towing vehicle in surveys, there's umpteen better more suited & trusted vehicles for the task, its not that the vectra is a bad motor or not capable, it just horses for courses..

Think, ooh, Im gonna take my caravan touring up dale and down dale, now shall I use my Vectra or my Landrover...

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Actually the Caravan Club ususally goes for cars rather than 4x4s. As I said the survey was not about towing. The Club magazine had simply reported the results for cars they consider to be common tow cars, hence Vectra etc being mentioned. The survey I think is all about how reliable the car is, how good the dealer service etc. Jap cars, Honda, Toyota and Lexus alwways come top.

spoons

I would recommend a Vectra to a friend... nothing to do with towing though

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'd happily recommend a Vectra over the years having driven more than I can recall it made me want to get one as it is a pleasant drive quiet, spacious and cheap to run in diesel form. My wife finds it too large for a normal car so when time comes to dump the V5 Golf I plan a CDTi Astra SRi XP 120 for her, otherwise a Vectra would have been on her list

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post

If the latter then you forgot to add Signum. It's been classed by caravan magazines/clubs as one of the best cars for towing.

EDIT: Even if the former then you still forgot Signum as they are completely different cars to the Vectra, even though they share the same engines and front end.
    Which just goes to prove how little they know about cars for towing. Bare in mind that the CC once declared that their Towing car of the year was a Calibra 4x4 Turbo.................

Answer to origional question: Yes, but I wouldn't recommend a diesel.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have not really had my one long enough to know. I really don't like the SRi front seats, enough so that I maight see if I can do some sort of swap. Other than that I like the car so far. Pluses and minuses compared with the Mondeo's I have had. Mondeo had far more comfortable setas but was less powerful and heavier on the fuel. As far as towing, goes the extra 35bhp seems to make an enormous difference to how she copes with the caravan. The Vectra/Caravan combo also seems to be more stable than the Mondeo/Caravan combo. It is thumbs up for now. So far I have only towed on tarmac. My club region chairman who also has a 150bhp SRi siad I should steer clear of the SRi because of the lower suspension. He also said traction was poor on grass (but that applies to any 2wd car). I will be taking the caravan to a rally this evening which will be on garss, so I will see how it goes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information